Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2004 5:38:11 PM EDT
I got the taper pins out of the sight, but the sight still will not move.  Is it supposed to move easily or am I supposed to hammer on it?  I don't want to bend the front sight up.  Thanks for your help!  (This is a Bushmaster ultralight barrel)
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I had this problem a few weeks ago with a BM barrel.  I sprayed some WD40 on it.

A few, very light taps from a small rubber mallet will make it budge just a hair.  Then you can just wriggle it off.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried some WD40.  I think I will wait until morning and then tap on it some more.  I tried tapping on it but it wouldn't budge.  Maybe in the morning it will be a little easier.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I got the thing off, but it was very tight.  I had to knock it off slowly with a hammer, I placed some cloth on the sight so that I didn't mar it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad you got it off.

First off, penetrating oil is always a good first option.  My second option is this big long punch.  I give the tough ones a few taps with a hammer to break the sight loose and complete the job with a rubber mallet.  The long punch isn't necessary, as you could use a short one, but it keeps the hammer head comfortably away from my hand.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top