Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2023 1:38:05 PM EDT
Looking for recommendations for scopes for a 16" upper. Prefer a traditional magnification scope over something like an LVPO, as this would be used probably up to 4-500 yards.

I'm leaning towards a vortex viper pst gen 2 but I'd like to consider others before I make a decision. Budget would be around the $850 mark just for the scope itself, open to used as well if the price is right. Also leaning towards an MOA type reticle since I don't have much experience with MRAD.....

What are some things I should check out?

Link Posted: 9/9/2023 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Credo 1-6 SFP BDC in red. Better glass and reticle than poortex
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
LVPO’s in the 8x-10x range can be had inside your price range.

Sig Tango MSR 1-10
Primary Arms SLx 1-10
Strike Eagle 1-8 (FFP &SFP)

Every one of which is fully capable of 4-500 yards.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1094688154901?pid=617477
Athalon 4-16x40 mil dot reticle 1 in tube.

For $199 this is the size of a traditional 3x9 scope so fairly light weight compared to other choices. Same warranty as a Vortex. They replaced a different model no questions asked. This has capped turrets so it won’t get adjusted by accident. It’s 2 nd focal plane but at 16x the mil dots can be used for known hold over by running a ballistic chart in MIL for your cartridge. The mil dots can be used for range.
Adult Deer 18 in back to brisket
100 yds 5.0 mil
166 yds 3.0 mil
200 yds 2.5 mil
300 yds 1.6 mil
400 yds 1.25 mil
500 yds 1.0 mil
625 yds 0.8 mil

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-3-9x42-ss-hd-30mm-riflescope-105137.html
3-9X 40 First Focal Plane ( mil dots accurate at any magnification) HD glass great scope.
They do have MOA based fixed power scope 6x, 10x, 12x, 16x, 20x. Very tough scopes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looking for recommendations for scopes for a 16" upper. Prefer a traditional magnification scope over something like an LVPO, as this would be used probably up to 4-500 yards.

I'm leaning towards a vortex viper pst gen 2 but I'd like to consider others before I make a decision. Budget would be around the $850 mark just for the scope itself, open to used as well if the price is right. Also leaning towards an MOA type reticle since I don't have much experience with MRAD.....

View Quote

I'd check out a Trijicon Credo 2-10, Athlon Helos 2-12, or a Vortex LHT 3-15. Some of the Sig Whiskey 5 stuff is nice too if you can find it. Made in Japan, etc. Euro Optic Demo section and AA optics always have great prices.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The GLx 4-16x50 is probably the best deal going right now ($499), plenty of magnification and good specs, especially the weight, only caveat is that you must love chevron aiming points. Even the currently active save10 coupon stacks with the sale price, damn.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I recently got a PST II. It has good features for the money.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sig Tango MSR 1-10
Primary Arms SLx 1-10

View Quote

If 10x is of more use than 1x, more often, it would be better to drop the 1x in favor of a larger objective and more forgiving eyebox.  LPVO's pretty much suck on the high X's in low light.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If 10x is of more use than 1x, more often, it would be better to drop the 1x in favor of a larger objective and more forgiving eyebox.  LPVO's pretty much suck on the high X's in low light.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sig Tango MSR 1-10
Primary Arms SLx 1-10

The only time I’m ever at max magnification on an optic is when I’m checking impacts during zero (if I didn’t bring a spotter). I pretty much stay at 75% or below to avoid that exact issue. At those powers OP should still have no issue running the stated distances.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The only time I’m ever at max magnification on an optic is when I’m checking impacts during zero (if I didn’t bring a spotter). I pretty much stay at 75% or below to avoid that exact issue. At those powers OP should still have no issue running the stated distances.
View Quote

Using a Strike Eagle at 500 yards seems very challenging - at best. An MPVO is much better suited for the stated goal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Personally, I've found that your first round hit percentage goes up a lot if you have >8X on the top end once you're shooting beyond 500Y.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'd check out a Trijicon Credo 2-10, Athlon Helos 2-12, or a Vortex LHT 3-15. Some of the Sig Whiskey 5 stuff is nice too if you can find it. Made in Japan, etc. Euro Optic Demo section and AA optics always have great prices.
View Quote

I second the credo line suggestion.  I have an LPVO, 4-16, and an Accupower 3-9 (similar to credo line).  All three are stellar.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which Viper?  I have the 1-6, 5-25, and the 2-10 will be here this week.  I also have the 1-4 gen1.
Dvor has the Viper scopes on sale right now just FYI.
https://www.dvor.com/search/vortex-viper
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:.
View Quote

I don’t want to register for that sight so, if you can, what is the price for the 5-25 @ 6-24 ?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

500 yards?  8x?  I'd rather have double that, and forego the 1x.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sig Tango MSR 1-10
Primary Arms SLx 1-10

View Quote

And they’re all crappy.

If you’re only pushing to 400/500 I’d rather have a high quality 4x than a crappy 8x.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 7:34:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here's a lightly used Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44. It has the Wind-Plex reticle, MOA adjustments, and is light-weight. It's just under your budget.

We also have the Vortex Viper PST G2 2-10 and 3-15 for way under your budget.

Of those three, you might like the Leupold best.
View Quote

That's a shit web site.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's a shit web site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a lightly used Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44. It has the Wind-Plex reticle, MOA adjustments, and is light-weight. It's just under your budget.

That's a shit web site.

You do realize they’re a site sponsor?
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's a shit web site.
View Quote

Can you be a little more detailed by what you mean “shit web site” or provide evidence, experience, or perspective of what you mean?  Do you not like how the website is constructed and you are a web designer with insight how to improve it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a shit web site.

So?
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So?
View Quote

You really should have something to support a claim like that disparaging a site sponsor just to disparage them with no evidence or supporting data makes you look bad not them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Can you be a little more detailed by what you mean “shit web site” or provide evidence, experience, or perspective of what you mean?  Do you not like how the website is constructed and you are a web designer with insight how to improve it?
View Quote

Because you can't search for in stock items.

If you go here:

https://www.rkbarmory.com/brands/leupold/

Every scope shows up, whether in stock or not.

You have to click on each scope, then each condition to see if it is available.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Because you can't search for in stock items.

If you go here:

https://www.rkbarmory.com/brands/leupold/

Every scope shows up, whether in stock or not.

You have to click on each scope, then each condition to see if it is available.
View Quote

See now we are getting somewhere instead of crapping on the guy why not email them customer feedback.  I do IT work and feedback like this is how I improve my processes and final products I deliver.  You would be surprised how much we long for users to just give us simple feedback on product improvement.  Instead we get them angry or comments like what you did "I hate this" "this stinks" or whatever and then when you ask why they say because it will not do this.  Then I look into and add the feature or see if it can be modified.  Please modify your original post and talk to the guy maybe he will really like your feedback and look into getting his web designer to add the feature or make changes.
@entropy
If he tells you to kick rocks or tells you are a terrible person then come back and tell them how much they suck.  Do better this is a tech forum.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I clicked on the link that you provided. The products that are out of stock have a big red banner on the picture that says, "Out of stock."

For the products that do not have a big red banner that says, "Out of stock," you have to see what condition is available. If that's too hard, you weren't very interested to begin with.

You are correct that if you type, "Leupold," in the search bar, every Leupold product shows up, even out of stock items. That is annoying, and I'll get it improved. For now, the best way to search is to start on the, "Shop," page, and narrow it down from there.

We have good prices, and offer a 30 day guarantee on everything. We're also an easy way for you to sell your used optics.

I was just trying to answer the OP's request for help picking out a scope.
View Quote

Yeah not too interested.  You might want to have a search feature that you can choose in stock and condition, instead of scrolling through page after page.  But hey, your business, you do you. Make it easy for you customers to find what they are looking for is key.  I'm an IT guy too, btw. I'll buy elsewhere.

Edited to add:

I actually went to the site to find a scope
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don’t want to register for that sight so, if you can, what is the price for the 5-25 @ 6-24 ?
Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:.

Thanks

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm a Leupold guy.  Good glass, durable and light weight.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sig Tango MSR 1-10
Primary Arms SLx 1-10

View Quote

Those have small objective lens and very tiny exit pupil size and tight eye box at anything over 4-5x.  They perform poorly in low light.  

If he plans to hunt or do low light work, he needs a larger objective lens 40mm or better.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top