Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 10:09:27 PM EDT
I didnt see a new member intro forum so Im posting this here. Sorry if I missed one.

I learned a long time ago that the best way to get knowledgeable fast on any topic (mustangs, fitness, knives, etc.) other than picking the brain of a seasoned expert, are these type forums. So now that Im considering purchasing my first assault rifle, I knew this was the place where the "heads" would be.

My name is Christian, I go by BillCutting on a few forums, I chose that name for the great character (who was based on a real guy by the way) from Martin Scorsese's "Gangs of New York". Im 36, live in Florida, and am a outdoors, old school type of guy (guns, knives, fishing, loud cars, etc.).

I currently own only a .40 handgun, a IMI polymer compact baby eagle. Ive owned a Browning .22 and a Mossberg 12 gauge in the past as well. My main passion has been knife collecting and Im currently sitting on about $4500 in sweet blades (Striders, Busses, etc.) but Im going to part with a bunch of them (they hold there value amazingly well, you can basiclly sell them at what you paid even after some use) to get my AR. I hope to learn a lot, and its great to meet you all. Dont worry I wont do anything stupid like start my first thread as "Whats the best AR?". LOL. I know what the search button is for. Peace.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I didnt see a new member intro forum so Im posting this here. Sorry if I missed one.

I learned a long time ago that the best way to get knowledgeable fast on any topic (mustangs, fitness, knives, etc.) other than picking the brain of a seasoned expert, are these type forums. So now that Im considering purchasing my first assault rifle, I knew this was the place where the "heads" would be.

An assault rifle has a form of fully automatic fire, a detachable magazine, fires from a closed bolt, and uses an intermediate powered cartridge. Unless you're going into class III... You won't be getting an assault rifle. "AR" stands for ArmaLite, the company Eugene Stoner, designer of the AR10 and AR15, worked for.

My name is Christian, I go by BillCutting on a few forums, I chose that name for the great character (who was based on a real guy by the way) from Martin Scorsese's "Gangs of New York". Im 36, live in Florida, and am a outdoors, old school type of guy (guns, knives, fishing, loud cars, etc.).

I currently own only a .40 handgun, a IMI polymer compact baby eagle. Ive owned a Browning .22 and a Mossberg 12 gauge in the past as well. My main passion has been knife collecting and Im currently sitting on about $4500 in sweet blades (Striders, Busses, etc.) but Im going to part with a bunch of them (they hold there value amazingly well, you can basiclly sell them at what you paid even after some use) to get my AR. I hope to learn a lot, and its great to meet you all. Dont worry I wont do anything stupid like start my first thread as "Whats the best AR?". LOL. I know what the search button is for. Peace.

Thank goodness someone does.

Welcome. Always good to have another ARFCOMMER.
$4,500 is way more than you'll need to get set up with an excellent rifle, in addition to a good stock of ammo, mags, and some cool accessories.

My advice: You get what you pay for, but make people prove it to you anyway.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Great advice and so true. Yeah $4500 is not what Im planning to spend, I couldnt part with all my babies anyway. LOL. It seems kind of crazy too that some of these accessories cost as much as the rifle, but hey, if you would have tried to explain the value in a $500 folding knife I wouldnt have believed it a year ago. Now I have a few of them.

Happy to be here, and ready to learn.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi Bill:) Welcome to the forum! Helping others is what it's all about, so feel free to ask any questions you may have. You stated that you were in the market for your first AR. I have two Colt LE6920's and a S&W M&P15, and all three are excellent rifles. There are others I would consider, like the LMT and the Noveske (a little pricey, though). Talk to everyone you can on here and get an idea of what you want and what you would like to spend. There is an AR to suit everyone.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the Disease!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Pics?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Nice collection.....but knives have never been my thing. You have to get uncomfortably close to the bad guy to use them.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:44:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome. Nice name (look at my avatar).
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats a Strider SLCC ten year anniv edition. The sheath is a small of the back shark skin by Lifter Leather custom made for it. They only made 100 of these knives. Its actually one of Striders original fixed blades and the ten year anniv. took it back to the basics with the addition of the G-10 handles. These knives are great and feel amazing in the hand. There awesome as a last ditch weapon. They still produce them in many different sizes, configurations, steel types. None available at the moment, all made in small batches. Heres an example of a larger one with the traditional style handle (meant to be paracord wrapped) but with a custom nightmare grind:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/chjapa/ar-15.jpg

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#11]
heeyyyyyyyyy......

We should have a convention.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:19:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Welcome.  Nice blades.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:35:06 AM EDT
[#13]
If you apply the same philosophy to buying a AR as you do buying blades you will do very well.

There's an OVERWHELMING amount of knowledge on this board...take your time and just get familiar with the platform...maybe meet up with some of the local folks in your hometown board and shoot their ARs to see what you like.

You could always mosey over to the Retro Forum and catch the Historical Black Rifle variant that is very hard to shuck.    
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:43:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice knives and welcome!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:45:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Welcome.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:51:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Welcome.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:00:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top