Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2002 5:44:59 PM EDT
I've gotten into the habit the last few years to carry a few rounds of .223 and .40 S&W in my pickup, along with a neat little truck gun with ammo. In the summer here in Oklahoma, it can reach over 100 degrees. The temperature inside my pickup is probably over 125 degrees or more on a hot day.

My question is, will this exposure to the hot temperatures affect the ammo in any way? I haven't had any problems when I shoot it, but I haven't chronoed any of it either. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen a couple incidents involving rifle ammo, having been bounced aound in a glovebox for a year generating unusually high pressures.. Pulldown of this ammo showed the grains of the powder had been pulverized, reducing the size of the powder grain, thus altering it's burn rate. It took a LOT of rough Arizona roads to do this, but I'd rotate the ammo you keep in the ride, to avoid problems..

Meplat-
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top