Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2003 9:01:04 PM EDT
I just aquired a brand new Bushmaster upper less the bolt and carrier.  Can I just buy a new bolt and carrier and put in this upper and not worry about headspacing it?  

I have heard both yes you can just buy a new bolt and carrier and put them in your gun and then hit the range and also being told that you must headspace a bolt and carrier for the new upper.  

Any help would be appreciated on this one guys, I don't want to damage my new upper.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Your new Bushmaster upper had its headspacing set. Get a new, mil-spec, bolt/carrier assembly and your good to go!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
check the headspacing with the bolt you intend to use with that upper!  (see your other post)
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#3]
You can check the headspacing a thousand times then have your buddy and his mother each check it a thousand more times and there's still not a damn thing you can do about it.

Assembling from all new parts will be fine drop it in an go to town.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#4]
And to add to Dave's statement above (which I agree with), you may purchase your bolt carrier assembly from any of the top suppliers, DPMS, Bushmaster, Rock River, Olympic Arms, Armalite, etc, and your are OK.  Go shoot.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#5]
if it was me, I wouldn't just buy a bolt group and put it in the rifle without first checking out the head space with at least a  field gauge......it's a 99 percent chance that a new upper with a new bolt will probably be OK for head space...but when your face is only a couple inches from the receiver, are you really going to take the chance that it is really OK?

head space gauges cost a lot less then reconstructive surgery, or a funeral. it's your call.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with Dave.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Personally, [b]I[/b] wouldn’t fire it before verifying that the headspace is OK (even though it almost certainly is).

If others on this board wish to do otherwise, that’s their prerogative.  [:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top