Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 12:01:00 PM EDT
going to be breaking in a new RRA complete upper..  is there any best particular way to break it in.
i have heard take a shot, clean x3 then 5 shot groups and clean x3. is this correct, ive also heard people say take a 10 shot group and clean..  when i say clean i dont mean a complete. i mean the barrel itself. using hoppes 9.   any advice would be greatly appreciated..   also going to get this acog sighted in zero hopefully. :)
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/fauxquantum/fsnm43.jpg
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#1]
just shoot it...clean when you get home

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
just shoot it...clean when you get home

He's right. If it's a chrome lined barrel you'd be wasting your time.  The chrome lining keep the fouling to a bare minimum.

If however it is just a chrome-moly barrel you'd be wise to break it in.  The goal is to constantly remove the copper from the newly cut rifling until the barrel is smoothed out by shooting it.

Regarding number of shots, I'd keep it below ten before stopping to clean it and remove the copper fouling.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top