Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 7:14:10 PM EDT
I bought a can about a week ago plugged up my muzzle and filled the barrel with shaving cream .It said wait 15 to 30 miniutes then swab out the bore and oil . I did this and was kinda disapointed I kept swabbing the bore about five times and it was still dirty so I ran a patch with hoppes #9 and then a brush and then three more patches before I was satisfied .I think I just wasted six bucks.but live and learn.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#1]
What was the product called? Outers sell a product like that. It is acctually made by Milfoam under license. Seem to work good though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep ! that's it Outers Foaming Bore Cleaner.Perhaps I waited to long or somthing .The gun only had like 40rds through it and was snaked right after shooting before being put back in the case.Then cleaned the next night .
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I bought a can about a week ago plugged up my muzzle and filled the barrel with shaving cream..

Well that's not a very good idea, shaving cream doesn't clean all that well....
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Dump it and use Hoppes #9
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to www.milfoam.fi The stuff is made in finland and is getting good reviews. It works better then Hoppes. Also try Forrest foam I believe it is made by the same people.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I have tried the Breakfree version, it will remove coppering so it may harm chrome tubes.   My complaint is it leaves a somewhat sticky residue.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I think it didn't work properly because you plugged your muzzle.

I have BreakFree Bore Cleaning Foam.  Used per the directions, it has given me satisfactory results.

"INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE:  Shake before use.  Unload weapon, remove bolt and fill cold barrel with foam, using plastic tube when spraying from chamber to barrel muzzle and rubber nozzle when introducing foam in the opposite direction.  Stop spraying when foam becomes visible at the other end.  Leave barrel in horizontal position and allow foam to act for about 10-15 minutes. Copper oxidation gives foam a bluish hue.  Remove foam with cleaning patch.  Lubricate bore with Break-Free CLP or Collector prior to use or storage to preserve, maintain, and protect your weapon.  Do not allow cleaning residues to enter loading device."

BreakFree 'Collector' is a product designed to protect firearms during long term storage.

I've had better results if I swabbed the bore with a patch wet with CLP to remove loose fouling before application of BreakFree Bore Cleaning Foam.  On a rifle with a pitted bore the fouling is more severe (because of the pitting) and the foam process is challenged.  On bores in better condition I've only needed one application of the foam.  I think this product has its' niche in the overall market.

Sincerely,
Craig
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think it didn't work properly because you plugged your muzzle.

I have BreakFree Bore Cleaning Foam.  Used per the directions, it has given me satisfactory results.

"INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE:  Shake before use.  Unload weapon, remove bolt and fill cold barrel with foam, using plastic tube when spraying from chamber to barrel muzzle and rubber nozzle when introducing foam in the opposite direction.  Stop spraying when foam becomes visible at the other end.  Leave barrel in horizontal position and allow foam to act for about 10-15 minutes. Copper oxidation gives foam a bluish hue.  Remove foam with cleaning patch.  Lubricate bore with Break-Free CLP or Collector prior to use or storage to preserve, maintain, and protect your weapon.  Do not allow cleaning residues to enter loading device."

BreakFree 'Collector' is a product designed to protect firearms during long term storage.

I've had better results if I swabbed the bore with a patch wet with CLP to remove loose fouling before application of BreakFree Bore Cleaning Foam.  On a rifle with a pitted bore the fouling is more severe (because of the pitting) and the foam process is challenged.  On bores in better condition I've only needed one application of the foam.  I think this product has its' niche in the overall market.

Sincerely,
Craig

Nope. left the muzzle open.  I have only tried it with pistols to this point because of my first try.  It left a sticky, oily residue in the barrel.  It just didn't feel like regular breakfree, so sprayed it out with gunscrub and ran a wet patch through for protection..
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I use a product called Wipe-Out. I think it was the first foam on the market,  but I could be wrong.

I run some Hoppes thought fist to clean out the powder residue, as Craig pointed out. I consider it to be primarily a copper remover, though it is marketed for other cleaning chores. I started using it in my 50BMG. The advantage is supposed to be that it will not run down off the top of the bore as fast. I have used it on many calibers now, and I like it. I always use a bore guide, with this or any other cleaning solution.

Wipe-Out
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:20:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I've tried a few and believe WipeOut works the best. After applying  it to  my AR (several thousand rounds, cleaned regularly with conventional methods)  and letting it sit 24 hrs, a dry patch pushed out what appeared to be blue paint! Another application and 24 hrs yielded very little blue. I followed that with some mp7 (came out clean) and then decided I was done.  Forrest Foam and the like that claim 15 minutes are a little optimistic--try them overnite and see if they work better. None of the foams are supposed to harm your barrel. I have never used any aggressive copper products like Sweets, which is probably why I got the results I did, but I am  now confident my barrel is CLEAN.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Did you see any evidence of Wipe-Out reacting with the aluminum upper? The bottle and website says it removes aluminum and that made me a little hesitant to use in my AR. It works great in my other rifles though. The amount of blue juice draining from my Model 700s barrel is amazing, I didn't know it was so copper fouled. I have been shooting it for 30 years though.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top