Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2004 3:05:14 PM EDT
I'm building an 80% forging and would like to have it Mil-Spec Hard Coat Anodized when finished.  Does anyone have any recomendations as to where to have this done?

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I am going this week to a local plating company to have some 0% recievers hard coated.  I have no idea if the hard coat they do is mil-spec but from what I have read here on AR15.com I am not too worried about it because it sounds like AR manufacturers may not all hardcoat the same either.

Anyway I just picked up my local yellow pages and looked for companies under electro plating and found two even in my small and crappy closest city (Binghamton NY) so I would guess that you can get it done most anywhere.  I was quoted a minimum charge of $100 which easilly covers the six recievers I have.

I will post my results on this forum next week with any luck!

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm. I wouldnt coat upper or lower until I had finished machining it. IF your doing a lower or other parts (aside from the inside of the upper)I would HIGHLY recomend moly resin from john norrells. Just got done painting a barrel and Im shocked at how well it resembles the park on my preban colt.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#3]
There's another thread on this I found earlier:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=204068
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  I will check to see if it can be adeqately anodized locally.  If not, I will try the complany in the link listed.  I wanted the anodizing for the hardening.  I may use the moly coat on top of the anodizing if it needs it cosmetically, I have used KG Guncoat with great sucess on many AK builds.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top