Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2003 4:10:10 PM EDT
Neightbor was burning today a bunch of crap and I wasnt really paying attention while I was mowing. Anyhow I started hearing popping noises not real loud but over the tractor. Before I could focus in on it, sharp pain in shoulder and then in the back was felt. I stopped the tractor got off and realized I was struck by a bullet not one but two. ducking behind a stump bullets wer hitting the shed the ground everywhere. After a few minutes of this going on like pop corn and examining my sore spots. I realized someone through bullets into the fire by accident and these rounds wer spiraling around.  The neighbor ran over to me so sorry about what happened it seems his wife accidentally through a cardboard box in the fire marked keep instead of burn. I was struck by 9mm bullets. I couldnt stop laughing but I  was also a bit pissed. The neightbor was so sorry it happened. I wasnt mad at him but mad at the carelessness but also laughing. Got some big bruises just glad they were not in a gun. Anyhow time for a bulletproof vest. What would you reccomend? I know a little late but I might be a good idea to have one in the future for who knows.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You'd probably be better off moving away from your inbred retarded neighbors.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Intesting story.  You know this could open up a whole new market for the lawn mower industry.  I can see the advertisements now:  "Don't forget to wear your John Deere bullet-proof vest while on your John Deere.  Nothing runs and stops bullets like a Deere."

But seriously, that is both funny and scary.  Glad to hear you are okay.  In the future, I would not only recommend a vest, but a helmet as well.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Darwin was right the next box he burns will have smokeless powder or primers in it.[flame]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#4]
talk about some bruises. Dang I feel like I was hit by a 100mph fastball. Neighbor today apologized again. Its funny. So much beer is showing up on my doorstep now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I was under the impression that projectiles required the tight confines of a chamber in order to launch from the case? IIRC, the result would be a ruptured case, not projectile launch.

Was I mis-informed? Did any break the skin? Pics?

I'm afraid I would not be laughing at all, if a bullet had struck me, under any circumstances.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was under the impression that projectiles required the tight confines of a chamber in order to launch from the case? IIRC, the result would be a ruptured case, not projectile launch.
View Quote

I understood this to be true as well...
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Well the bruises are not round all different sizes. And since its the only thing going snap in the fire, it is the only thing that could have hit me. Like I said it was realy hard just enough to bruise. No broken skin at all. Pics? why would I take pics? Mayeb I didnt get hit by bullet casings or bullets. maybe something else was in his box.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, you won't get much bullet velocity COMPARED TO FIRING FROM A BARREL, but you could get a couple of hundred feet a second, I'm sure.  Plenty enough for a good bruise, certainly.

CJ
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Well my cousin told me is that since the bullet isnt in a barrel and has focussed gasses behind it all it will do is spin out control in different directions. About 10 times harder than a good powerful paintball gun you can buy. He used to be in the military SF detail.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#10]
AS I recall this was tested on here a long time ago by placing the bullets inside a cardboard box and were heated. When they went off the CASES flew into the cardboard at a pretty good clip buy the bullets pretty much remained where the were. Remember the physics of equal and opposite reaction. When an explosion between two potential projectiles goes off, what is more likely to goo farther, the light one or the heavy one? (case vs. bullet) I have personally witnessed ammo burning in a 55 gal drum. It pops pretty good in no way did it dent the barrel or leave it.

Bob

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#11]
You were hit by the casings. As stated...laws of physics. The casing is lighter than the bullet, therefore the casing will be the first to fly.

Not to say it didn't hurt ;-) I'd be thanking God I didn't lose an eye.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Well looking at the one bruise ina mirror. It is long like a casing not a bullet and what is really wierd we couldnt find the brass any where. You would think they wouldnt be far.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I am on the verge of calling BS on this one.  I have dumped ammo in a camp fire just to disprove this myth and got hit in the ankle by something at about 5 feet when it started popping and it did not leave a welt.  How far away was this fire?  What caliber was this ammo?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#14]
id say 20' from where I was mowing maybe 15' I could feel the heat of the fire from where I was. The bruises do not lie. Your right it was probably casings. Tomorrow I'll take a good look and see if I find some brass in the field.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I would say you are pretty lucky! I have personally witnessed someone struck by a .22lr (casing I guess) right above the eye and it required a few stitches, but a inch or 2 lower and he would have definetly lost an eye. Either way be careful what you burn.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Okay...couldn't read this thread without bringing up the story (urban legend?) of the guy that was driving home from "shootin'" one night when a critical fuse blew in his truck. He pulled the fuse panel from beneath the dash under steering column and found the blown fuse, but no spares. Well, boy howdy, a live .22 round just happened to fit in place of the fuse perfectly...needless to say he got a few miles down the road before the round went and blew a hole in his leg.

That was his story at least. That might be one of those situations where you would look more intelligent by just saying "I shot myself in the leg."

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 4:12:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I know for a fact that bullets thrown in a fire can go flying when they detonate.  My friend had a .22 bullet stuck sideways in his shed door to prove it.  It obviously wasn't going very fast though as i was able to easily pry it out with my pocket knife.  I've also heard pellets from some 12 gauge shotgun shells hit a 55 gallon drum after being thrown in a fire.

Digital
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Once the bullet leaves the case there isn't anything pushing it. The pressure and burning gases that normally propel a bullet are released into the air. Niether the case or the bullet should be going very far. While it is a possible situation, it isn't very likely. 10 times harder that the average paintball gun is 3,000 to 3,200 FPS. That would have left you with more than a bruise.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Either way, i laughed, so suck on that =)
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Thats a pretty good story you told!  Still chuckling about it.  As for your question, what do you want the vest for?  If you just want to ride on your mower and make fun of your dufus neighbor, I owuld recommend looking at the Sportsmans Guide or Cheaper Than Dirt.  They have Frag Vests from a number of different nations - U.S., British, and "NATO", for from 50-100 dollars.  These are not bulletproof (though the one I tried did stop a .22LR fired form a pistol) but would be pretty funny in light of your recent incident with your neighbor.  Just make sure he sees you using it!  As for real bullet proof vests, I was recently issued a Zero-G from safariland (www.bodyarmor.com).  I have been very impressed with its light weight and flexibility.  A big improvement over the much bulkier and heavier one I was issued by my department before I got the new one. Just make sure you are in compliance with local laws.  In some places regular tax paying citizens can't have vests.  In others it's largely unregulated - sound familiar?  Either way, do a search for body armor on the net and you should get a bunch of hits.  You should also be able to get info on protection levels.  Either way, expect to pay a pretty high price.  Mine ran about $500.00.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#21]
What do I want a vest for. If my neighbor forgets to check what hes burning, whats going to stop and idiot like at TSF quarry to fire when the line isnt clear and im downrange and catch a ricochet or worse direct hit. It looks like IIIA or $ is the way to go for safety from rifles. This incident just got me thinking of pther possibilities. I still would have been plinked in this incident because I WOULD NOT wear a vest mowing. That would be like looking left then right and then UP for falling planes before making a turn.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I would build a Pope Mobile Tractor!
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would build a Pope Mobile Tractor!
View Quote

[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't forget to also look down.  Sometimes objects falling from planes will hit the pavement in front of you, and then ricochet right into you!

Vests can also be found on E-Bay, and sometimes in the EE right here.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a friend who is a fire fighter, and they went in a burning house one time, and a couple of the guys got hit buy rounds cooking off.  One of them hit his chest and he instinctively grabbed where he was hit and caught the round in his hand.  Heavy firefighting gear, so no one was hurt.  Still pretty hazardous to your eyes though.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Friend of mine in ROTC wore a full Bomb Disposal suit to chemistry class and sat in the front row after the prof blew things up 2 lectures in a row.  The class was pleased the Prof wasn't.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thats a pretty good story you told!  Still chuckling about it.  As for your question, what do you want the vest for?  If you just want to ride on your mower and make fun of your dufus neighbor, I owuld recommend looking at the Sportsmans Guide or Cheaper Than Dirt.  They have Frag Vests from a number of different nations - U.S., British, and "NATO", for from 50-100 dollars.  These are not bulletproof (though the one I tried did stop a .22LR fired form a pistol) but would be pretty funny in light of your recent incident with your neighbor.  Just make sure he sees you using it!  As for real bullet proof vests, I was recently issued a Zero-G from safariland (www.bodyarmor.com).  I have been very impressed with its light weight and flexibility.  A big improvement over the much bulkier and heavier one I was issued by my department before I got the new one. Just make sure you are in compliance with local laws.  In some places regular tax paying citizens can't have vests.  In others it's largely unregulated - sound familiar?  Either way, do a search for body armor on the net and you should get a bunch of hits.  You should also be able to get info on protection levels.  Either way, expect to pay a pretty high price.  Mine ran about $500.00.  
View Quote

You do realise that thing is made with Spectra and Spectra is complete crap and officers have been having vest failure with Spectra and Safariland is one of the prime culprits in allowing officers to wear inferior armor that can fail if you spill hot coffee on it right?

Rule #1  ONLY BUY KEVLAR

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:50:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I would make the neighbor buy the vest.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top