Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/31/2006 8:58:09 AM EDT
who of you guys use this ammo in a 1x7'' 20in barrel? what results should I expect?

thanks
Frens

edit to add: of course I read the ammo oracle but I've never tried ammo heavier then 62gr
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
who of you guys use this ammo in a 1x7'' 20in barrel? what results should I expect?

thanks
Frens

edit to add: of course I read the ammo oracle but I've never tried ammo heavier then 62gr

You haven't?  Aren't you the guy with the A2 20incher with the acog on the handle??

Well, my usual response is, "don't ask us, ask your barrel".  Only the barrel knows.  It may hate it, it may like it.  It is however good ammo.  When I first starting shooting AR's I had some of it.  And it grouped the best at 100 yards out of all the ammo I was shooting at the time.  Colt 1/7 20" nato chamber.  At the time 2-3/4" 5 shot group with the irons was all I could muster.  But that was better than alot of the other loads I tried back then.   I'm still learning how to shoot really well with irons.  Usually when I'm testing ammo for accuracy now, I just use a scope.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
You should expect ~2750fps and whatever accuracy you can hold.  1MOA or less is not uncommon.  BH loads some great ammo.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#3]
out of a 20" Colt AR15 A2 1/7 twist

75gr TAP OTM:

Muzzle Velocity: 2663
standard deiation:  28
Total penetration: 11.87"
Entry:  1.12"
Depth to max cavity:  5.62"
Max Temp Cavity:  4.87"
Retained weight 27.5 grs
% frag:  63%
Max performance range:  225yds

info from TAP LE catalog
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:06:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks
Frens

You haven't?  Aren't you the guy with the A2 20incher with the acog on the handle??

Well, my usual response is, "don't ask us, ask your barrel".  Only the barrel knows.  It may hate it, it may like it.  It is however good ammo.  When I first starting shooting AR's I had some of it.  And it grouped the best at 100 yards out of all the ammo I was shooting at the time.  Colt 1/7 20" nato chamber.  At the time 2-3/4" 5 shot group with the irons was all I could muster.  But that was better than alot of the other loads I tried back then.   I'm still learning how to shoot really well with irons.  Usually when I'm testing ammo for accuracy now, I just use a scope.  

yes, I'm the guy with the A2 20incher with the compact acog on the handle. but I usually shoot 62gr ammo.

of course that would be the only answer to such a question.

at the gun store there are two version of this ammo: one is normal and one say MOLY on the box. what advantages does the MOLY really offer over the normal ammo?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I have chronographed two different lots of Hornady's 75 grain BTHP Match ammo.  Ten rounds of each load were fired over an Oehler 35P chronograph and  muzzle velocities were calculated from instumental velocities using Oehler's Ballistic Explorer Software.  The overall average muzzle velocity for all twenty rounds through a Colt 20" government profile barrel with a 1:7" twist was 2687 fps.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I have some of the Hornady 75 bthp in 223 not 5.56 and I was wondering also about the fragmentation properties and such. In other words is it worth a flock for defensive ammo?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks
Frens

yes, I'm the guy with the A2 20incher with the compact acog on the handle. but I usually shoot 62gr ammo.

of course that would be the only answer to such a question.

at the gun store there are two version of this ammo: one is normal and one say MOLY on the box. what advantages does the MOLY really offer over the normal ammo?

Well, you just opened up a can of worms here.  To moly, or not to moly, that is the question.  I'm afraid to touch it with all the stories.  However, the Hornady 75's I had way back when,  that I told you before, were moly coated.  If you go to black hills website, there is a good explanation of it there.  Some of the cons that have been said on here (not by me, because I really don't know)  are:

1. You shouldn't mix moly and not moly.  Why, I'm not really sure besides that supposedly it screws with the accuracy.
2. It's a water magnet and  water will have more of a tendancy to sit in your barrel, thus helping the oxidation / rust along quicker.
and
3. You'll get syphillis from it, just like when you shoot wolf. (just kidding)

That's what I've heard on here.  I think it supposed to help with velocity (boost it) by being a slicker surface, and "condition" your bore.  Like I said, go to black hills website and check out what he's got to say about it.

I'm not really quite sure myslelf what to think about it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top