Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 9:08:50 PM EDT
I just got a nice minty colt 20" HBAR and a slightly used M5 RAS for an A4-gery I'm getting ready to build up. I was playing around with fitting the two together and had a hard time getting the RAS to close completely around the rear of the barrel. I know that the M5 is designed to work w/ a govt profile barrel but I had previously read about people getting the M5 to work w/ dissy HBARS so thought I'd go ahead and give it a try. Will they work together? I don't have an upper receiver yet or I could probably check/try and make it fit so I thought I'd see what you guys have to say. Should I file down the inside of the RAS? get the barrel turned down to a govt profile (I'd rather not spend the money if I an help it) Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Matt
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It should work.  I used an M5 RAS with my bushy H-bar with no problems.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:22:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Should I file down the inside of the RAS? get the barrel turned down to a govt profile (I'd rather not spend the money if I an help it)

Matt, I wouldn't do that.

I suspect someone will come along with a solution - wish I could help you- but until you hear from some expert armorers, I wouldn't get a file near your M5......yet

On a positive note,.....congratulations on your soon-to-be A4gery. I am working toward on myself, albeit slowly, and love to see posts about users building them up!

good luck!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:42:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve put my M5 RAS on my Colt MTC HBar.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:35:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just got a nice minty colt 20" HBAR and a slightly used M5 RAS for an A4-gery I'm getting ready to build up. I was playing around with fitting the two together and had a hard time getting the RAS to close completely around the rear of the barrel. I know that the M5 is designed to work w/ a govt profile barrel but I had previously read about people getting the M5 to work w/ dissy HBARS so thought I'd go ahead and give it a try. Will they work together? I don't have an upper receiver yet or I could probably check/try and make it fit so I thought I'd see what you guys have to say. Should I file down the inside of the RAS? get the barrel turned down to a govt profile (I'd rather not spend the money if I an help it) Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Matt

Are you trying to test fit this with the small allen-head screw removed from the M5 RAS rear clamp, and is the clamp hanging down freely as you lower it towards the barrel?
Also, the spring tab at the RAS front needs to be under the lip of the forend cap.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:42:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I could not fit the M5 RAS on my 20" RRA HBAR.  I posted messages about it and people were saying it should fit, I must be doing something wrong but bottom line was it didn't fit.  I have several other rifles with the govt profile barrels and KAC RAS's but the HBAR was a no go.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:56:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't file anything. Wait until the barrel is mounted on a upper. Then try to fit it following Cold Blues instructions. (Since he makes the things) You may want to use a handguard removal tool to help you mount it. The M5 will fit your HBAR, and it will be tight. Its supposed to be. If the barrel isn't mounted up now, you don't know where the barrel nut is, and its probably not where it needs to be. Once its mounted it should be lined up (indexed) properly.

Just beware, the M5 on an HBAR will be a nose heavy pig. If you aren't going to carry it around much, then its not problem. But you will notice it after a long carry.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome! That is what I was hoping to hear! I figured it was just a matter of having the barrel mounted but I feel a whole lot better now about moving forward with this project. Roger that on the whole nose heavy warpig... once I get it together I figure I'll just try and roll with her for a while and see how I like it. Like I said before I'd rather not send her off to ADCO for some lipo but I will if I have to! This will be my second build so after I get her together, I will take some pics and see if I can post um!
Thanks again guys! Ya'll rock!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:59:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just beware, the M5 on an HBAR will be a nose heavy pig. If you aren't going to carry it around much, then its not problem. But you will notice it after a long carry.

what about YHM 2 piece handguards + HBAR? would it be a bit lighter?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what about YHM 2 piece handguards + HBAR? would it be a bit lighter?

I don't know how the two compare in weight. I had a set of the YHMs on my dissipator.

I liked them okay. They fit tightly and appeared to be to spec, although I never put anything on them. Except TD rail covers. I sold them and am now waiting the MI offering which will be out this week.

But I would GUESS that the YHM would be a little lighter then the M5.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Lancelot what is the "MI offering".  Asking b/c I have no clue what MI is and am interested in getting an M5 or other full length rail system.

thanks
Iso
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hey Lancelot what is the "MI offering".  Asking b/c I have no clue what MI is and am interested in getting an M5 or other full length rail system.

thanks
Iso

The MI is the last picture I posted. It is a two piece, non-free float model. It is notched to accept the KAC rail covers and is supposed to be to spec. It is also supposed to be able to take the TD VFG.

Look toward the end of this thread
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks!  Will Do.

Iso
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top