Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2003 3:12:27 PM EDT
I am thinking of buying a Bushmaster A2 carbine with 16 inch heavy barrel and was wandering what the difference would be in accuracy compared to the 20 inch heavy barrel. I am wanting to be able to shoot no more than 200 yds. As far as group size at this range could I really tell a big difference in accuracy. Are the carbines accurate enough with open sites to varmint hunt at this range?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
get the 20" barrel....I disagree with there not being much difference in the accuracy between the 16" and the 20" barrels........my son had a 16" and went to a 20" and the difference is just like night and day............
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Their is a distinct advantage at longer distances but he stated 200yrds! I shoot the same with my 16" as my 20" at these distances!
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Like bigbore said.At 200 the 4"will not realy make a difference in accuracy,"i think".BUT at 300 to 500 yea,i belive it will.WHAT ,i want to know is what kind of diff in accuracy at 300 or less is there between a hbar and a standard 1-9 16".Did i just hijack,sorry ,if i did,my bad.Old belfast habit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#6]
At 200 my 14.5 bushy shoots the same as when it was a full size it originaly started out that way 11 years ago and was changed to a more handy model a few months later I had to adjust my front sight a little higher but I think it has more to do with the shorter sight radius other wise I hit the same.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Bigbore is 100% right on despite whatever it is you might hear otherwise. The inherant accuracy potnential of the two are equal. In fact, some argue that the shorter barrels are inherantly more accurate due to less muzzle whip.

The difference in accuracy may be seen in the shorter sight radius on the 16" gun, but that has more to do with the shooters ability to hold the sights straight than the inherant accuracy of the gun.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top