Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/1/2017 10:14:23 AM EDT
Last night in General Discussion a company posted a modern gyro-stabilized device they were developing. I wanted to share with them the photo of the vietnam era device that sticks out the bottom of the pistol grip. I know I've seen information here, but haven't been able to find the photo.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#1]
This it?

RIF

Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#4]
For future reference, in a google search you can add "site:blah.com" on the end to only search for results within that site.

So searching "Gyro Stabilizer" might not come up with anything useful on it's own, but searching "Gyro Stabilizer site:AR15.com" came up with the thread at the top of the list.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For future reference, in a google search you can add "site:blah.com" on the end to only search for results within that site.

So searching "Gyro Stabilizer" might not come up with anything useful on it's own, but searching "Gyro Stabilizer site:AR15.com" came up with the thread at the top of the list.
View Quote
  thank you, that's really useful info
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Can someone explain the intended purpose of this thing and how it works?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Dupe.  

Looking at timestamps, you beat me by 4 minutes.  I shall go link dupe on myself.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Can someone explain the intended purpose of this thing and how it works?
View Quote

The purpose is to stop small movements of the rifle - your breathing, your heartbeat, your nervous twitch from the Drill Instructor yelling @ you.  They've got a couple of gyroscopes in there that help keep the rifle steady.  These have been out for high end cameras for some time now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Another use would be if you had a really advanced system where you tagged multiple targets at once. The gyroscopes could jump the gun around in your hand between the designated targets firing a round or two at each. I suppose future advances in the technology could allow multiple bullets to hit the same spot on a piece of armor at a rapid rate.
Personally I'd want a portable turret with this technology that I could operate from behind cover lol.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The purpose is to stop small movements of the rifle - your breathing, your heartbeat, your nervous twitch from the Drill Instructor yelling @ you.  They've got a couple of gyroscopes in there that help keep the rifle steady.  These have been out for high end cameras for some time now.
View Quote

That was my basic assumption I was just curious as to whether it was ever seriously considered for combat in a hand held infantry role
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  That was my basic assumption I was just curious as to whether it was ever seriously considered for combat in a hand held infantry role
View Quote

How much of your tax money do you consider serious?  The picture above probably cost $1 mil, give or take a few $ hundred thousand.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Lol point taken I understand the R&D costs I meant more along the lines of at what point did they stop considering this to feasible and why etc? How extensive were the trials etc or maybe we don't know?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#13]
The BIG question IS............

Who's going to do a replica of this?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The BIG question IS............

View Quote

I found a gyro that looks right. It's call a Kenyon K-6.

Lowest price I saw without digging was $1700.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  The BIG question IS............

The hardest part will be tracking down a left-handed A1 upper.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#16]
If someone really wants to make a replica, the gyroscope in that (1960 something) original is just an little iron flywheel attached to a fairly high rpm electric motor (probably 24v going off to 4 6v lantern batteries in a belt rig laying on the ground).  It's a one axis gyroscope in line with the bore.  It would basically act like a compensator.  You'd aim, then engage the gyro (there's a toggle switch).  It did work, but weighed like 20-25 pounds between batteries, flywheel, and motor.  They got almost the same effect from testing normal end of barrel compensators and promptly gave up.  There was a similar rig for archery too at one point.  They did get used on motion picture cameras, and adapted down in size to TV cameras and eventually camcorders and still cameras.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't subscribe to GD's "Chicken wing" brand of stupidity, but that dude is rocking a seriously high elbow.  That's a damn ostrich wing.

Frigging lefties.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#18]
A little info on page 301  of the black book https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9hAva_yxlzPNUxaa0psb0RXWUU
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#19]
image is flopped

name tape is on wrong side and reversed

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I was kidding when I asked the question but I should have known better than to underestimate the intensity of the RBRD!

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Thats a Kenyon set up
http://www.ken-lab.com/what-is-a-kenyon-gyro.html

Attachment Attached File

what the guy from canada was showing was not a gyro
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
image is flopped

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3097/IMG-7803-138347.JPG
View Quote
I thought the biggest clue was the fact the ejection port was on the wrong side
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#23]
If it made sense for modern infantry combat ops, I would imagine they would have a rail mounted version about the size of the PEQ-15 laser
on weapons in the field.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
image is flopped

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3097/IMG-7803-138347.JPG
several posters are off on a left handed upper tangent
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top