Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 7:20:24 PM EDT
Ok, I was out to the range (its just a shooting table out to in the foothills, ) trying to do some 50,100, and 300 yard practice with the Colt. I had man-sized targets set up out there. And had a put a bout four mags downrange, leaving a nice little pile of brass. When a truck cruises up the road and out get some local shooters. (its a small town, and i knew them, if not well) They get out and come over, I was just returning from posting a new target, and they proceed to say hello and we chatted for a while, finally, I pulled out the gun to put another mag into the new target, and immediately, they start going off about the impracticality of "assault rifles" and how I had over 100 spent rounds lying around, and how there was no need for such a high volume of shooting, it was a waste of ammo, etc. I just blew it off, So I went to shooting, I decided to shoot the 50 yd one, and put about five rounds into it when the hunter types start pissing about how fast i was shooting, and I couldn't possibly aim accurately at such a high rate of fire, (probably one round per second, at the fastest) the group was about 3" which I considered damn good for offhand and firing fast. (They are shooting also..) We cease fire and go get our targets, I decided I was done at the 300 yard and brought it back without setting up another, the rounds in this target were pretty spread out, but hey, what do you expect at 300 yds with irons... They started going off about how the AR was more of a toy and not much of a weapon, and was usless in any practical application... Theyre shooting at about that distance with their .270s and 30-06s with high power optics and bragging about how that shot would take a deer easily blah blah. They wouldnt give 20 bucks for an AR, how you might as well get an airsoft, if you couldnt handle a man's gun. Finally I grew tired of it and picked up the brass, (with much critisism about how I shot over 150 rounds)... Loaded the mags for next time and stashed the bullets away and left them to their 1 round per 5 mins of aiming.

Then, today, Im reading about the AWB, and the article stated that the reason it was passed was that many hunters "didnt see the need" for military style weapons, and thus supported the ban. This fired me up so I made this post to see who else had experienced some rediculous thing like this, What is wrong with them????
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Typical bolt/duck gunners. Don't let them bother you. Gun owners can often be our own worst enemies. That said, maybe you should have offered to let them shoot your AR--that can often convert someone who otherwise has no true understanding of the Second A.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#2]
You aren't alone.
Many have had these kind of experiences.
They come from three kinds of shooters.

1) Your pure D asshole. He shits on everyone - if he was an AR guy he'd dump on AKs all the time.
2) Your scaredy cat gun owner. He is so scared that the anti-gunners will take his deer gun, he offers you up as a sacrificial lamb.
3) The jealous. These guys are jealous because their guns are "hunting" guns and don't have the "bad ass" factor associated with an EBR. Typically, these fellows can no longer bear it, so they go out and ass rape a perfectly good SKS into a plastic folding stocked abortion of a weapon with 30 round zytel duckbill mags and a dustcover mounted scope.

Don't feel bad.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree next time letem shoot it. That really pisses me off,our guns are ok but you dont need your gun.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
From my experience, there are 3 tiers of gunowners

High Power shooters;  they think any non DCM semi auto rifle is "what do you need that  for?", also think they're top tier of shooters.
Shotgun guys;  think any semi auto rifle is "what do you need that  for?", also think they're top tier of shooters.
Everyone else; don't care what you shoot, don't care how good of a shooter you think you are.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Most of my hunting buddies think I am a more than a little goofy for having an AR.  After they shoot it they think it is pretty cool but still think I am a bit off.  I have managed to convert one or two over time however, but it is a slow process.

Oh well.

Now don't get me started on how they feel about concealed carry.  

Seydou
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Let them shoot it.

My buddies (hunter-types) used to have a few misconceptions about AR's and all other "evil rifles" but I invited them out to our farm to do some shooting with my AK, AR's, and M14. They're pretty good about them now, but since we're all 19, and they have other things they spend their money on, they think $600+ for a rifle is too high, for the AR's anyway.

Maybe when they get out of school and working full-time, but until then, I'm more than willing to let them shoot my toys if it means that they might spread some good info to others that had the same misconceptions they once did.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:12:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd have told them that my AR is worth more than all their "Wal-mart Guns" combined and that I wouldn't trade them even if they offered all of them in trade. I'd have told them that other than killing Bambi, their guns have little use and that the 2nd Amendment covers AR15's far more than the "Bambi Killing Wal-mart specials. To me the 2nd Amendment is about protecting home and country and covers guns like those the military uses more than out-dated bolt guns.

P.S. I like all guns, including bolt guns but when people like to push my buttons, I push back at theirs. Few people who know me like to debate guns with me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
It's sad we can't all be on the same page.  The day that the grabbers try to ban "high-power sniper rifles," is the day they'll come around.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, thats true I should have let them shoot it. I dont see whats so horrid about these nice little rifles. I hope i dont have to use it, but its plenty powerful to take down the bad guys, and thats about all I need, I would like a barret though
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#10]

my feeling is that there are basically three types of gun people:

1) gun-nuts. these people tend to like a wide variety of weapons and see the utility of all. they tend to have lots of experience handling/firing/maintaining firearms, and you can usually count on them to be a decent shot, trust them to handle a weapon, and have a large collection (or dreams of one thereof). many people on this board fit in this category.

2) gun-snobs. this group tends to have varying sized collections, but the weapons are usually expensive over-under shotguns, 30-06's, and a stainless revolver or WWII relic. this group can usually be counted on to shoot as minimally as possible, sweep everyone at the range with the muzzle, and berate anyone who doesn't fit in [firearm-wise] with them. this category consists of many hunters, collectors, and MA and CT residents (not all though, i used to live in CT).

3) self-loathing gun owner. this group tends to come from upscale white neighbor hoods in blue states. they tend to have large groups of liberal friends and family. they usually have inherited a weapon from a grandfather or uncle, or have bought some sort of "classic". this is done to deflect any shit they may get from their friend or family for being a "gun guy", as they can now say it has some sort of collectable value or historical significance. they are usually disgusted at the fact that they own a weapon at all. you don't have to worry about their poor weapons handling beacuse they never come to the range.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Next time:

1. Invite them to shoot your AR - it is infectious ya know
2. Invite them to a match - it will open their eyes as to how fast and accurately people shoot EBR from point blank to 1k yrds
3. Remind them that the second ammendment isn't about duck hunting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You aren't alone.
Many have had these kind of experiences.
They come from three kinds of shooters.

2) Your scaredy cat gun owner. He is so scared that the anti-gunners will take his deer gun, he offers you up as a sacrificial lamb.

Oh.... yeah I know exactly who your talking about - there is a big bunch of 'em and they collect dues and bullshit you that they are their to protect your rights....WTF is the name of that group ...oh yeah, THE NRA!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's sad we can't all be on the same page.  The day that the grabbers try to ban "high-power sniper rifles," is the day they'll come around.

thats a good one. They don't see thier deer guns that way at all. Trust me I know I got shit for taking my Rem700 deer hunting last year, "What the hell ya hunting with a sniper rifle for?" If it looks like a military rifle, or a rifle the military would use it's a sniper ifle and not the same as their bambi gun. Mine Rem700 was built as a quasi clone of the USMC M40A3. It looks like a "sniper rifle" but the trigger puller(me) sure as hell doesn't have the skills of a sniper and sure as hell isn't one. Therefore it's not a sniper rifle. Common misconception is that a rilfe that looks a certain way is a sniper rifle, what makes a sniper rifle a sniper rifle is the skill and knowledge of the person pulling the trigger. The gun doesn't matter so much as the shooter and the shotters skill and knowledge.  

For instance the guy that made the comment to me uses a Remington 700 in 300 win mag. He had had work done to it, added a krieger barrel had it bedded and all that good shit. He topped it off with a leupold VX-III 3.5-10x50 ill ret. but he kept the standard stock. My gun on the other hand has a McMillian A4 stock over sized bolt knob, a 24in Krieger heavy barrel and IOR 4-14x50 ill ret, and target knobs(1/2MOA adjustments) as well as all the bedding and shit like that. Mine sure as hell looks more "sniper rifle" like then his. However I've seen him shoot it at 800 plus yards and put first round on target hits at those distances. I can not. His knowledge and skill makes his rifle more of a sniper rifle then mine is at this time he has the skills and knowledge of his gun and his load to shoot it that way. I don't, but I'm working on it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#14]
You should have said, "I don't see the point of shooting an animal with a hunting rifle when you can just go to the supermarket to buy meat, all your doing is endangering a species."  That might get under their skin.  Then tell them that if any weapon should be banned, they ALL should be banned, no exceptions.  Ask them if that would make them happy.  Most will shut up, or start to argue, and once they start arguing, tell them that people who express so much anger in public shouldn't be a able to own a firearm.  Tell him if you ever see him trying to buy another deer rifle, you'll attempt to persuade the owner not to sell to him because he's too violent.  Then tell him you'll report him to the police because he's armed and dangerous.  When he tries to bash you and your AR, let him know the conversation is no longer about your weapon, but his anger problem.

When it's all said and done, kill more paper with your AR.

...I'm bored...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I usually have this puppy stored away in the back of my truck for when those asshats show up at the range and start squacking.

SHUTS THEM UP QUICK!

How's it shoot?   This is a 10 shot group, one of 4 shot with that load on that day, the average group across 4 10 shot groups was slightly over 3/4 inch.

I don't run into too many of them here in California these days though because a lot of them have earned a little respect.    It's some what of a rarity now to see a person with an actual AR15 much less several AR15s with the variety I have.     But when they do squack, I'm their Huckleberry when it comes to shutting them up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I usually have this puppy stored away in the back of my truck for when those asshats show up at the range and start squacking.

SHUTS THEM UP QUICK!

home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/jpar/oldcomp.jpg

How's it shoot?   This is a 10 shot group, one of 4 shot with that load on that day, the average group across 4 10 shot groups was slightly over 3/4 inch.
home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/groups/223Rem10shot.jpg

I don't run into too many of them here in California these days though because a lot of them have earned a little respect.    It's some what of a rarity now to see a person with an actual AR15 much less several AR15s with the variety I have.     But when they do squack, I'm their Huckleberry when it comes to shutting them up.

Let's see...
Early join date
Low Post Count
Tight ass groups

People could learn from your example!
Nice shooting bud - glad to see some are keeping the faith in Kali.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#17]
yeah, military weapons can be impractical or less accurate.... but they will ALL line-up to shoot the nfa stuff.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want to talk about snobs, go to a range and fire your AR15.  Leave, come back, and fire an AK.

Watch the difference in how you are treated.....
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Common misconception is that a rilfe that looks a certain way is a sniper rifle, what makes a sniper rifle a sniper rifle is the skill and knowledge of the person pulling the trigger. The gun doesn't matter so much as the shooter and the shotters skill and knowledge.

True. Except their logic is the exact opoposite of yours. To many people, the appearance of the rifle IS how they define the person behind the trigger. If the gun looks scary, their logic dictates, the person behind the trigger must be scarry also. Anything that remotely resembles an "assault" rifle must therefore be operated by someone "assaulting". Such misconceptions are based on ignorance, and these people need to be 'edumicated'.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you want to talk about snobs, go to a range and fire your AR15.  Leave, come back, and fire an AK.

Watch the difference in how you are treated.....

Well, of course that makes sense because AKs are filthy commie weapons.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#21]
This reminds me....
I got to get to the range soon... all those hunters are sighting in and I want to shoot up a case of Wolfies
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
This reminds me....
I got to get to the range soon... all those hunters are sighting in and I want to shoot up a case of Wolfies

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
This reminds me....
I got to get to the range soon... all those hunters are sighting in and I want to shoot up a case of Wolfies hr

+1000
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Some hunters are screwy.  It seems like I run into them at gunshops.  They frown at you when you buy your assault rifle ammo.   Most of the local gun shop owners won't order any AR lowers for me.  One guy almost crapped his pants when I asked if he would order an AK for me.  You would think the gun store owner would rather have me in there buying 300 rounds every other week than have the hunters come in once a year and buy one box of ammo for their 270.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#25]
PBRSTREETGANG...post some of those nice assed weapons pics to bring me back up.reading about people like this just pisses me off.can't NOT do it though.the FUNNY thing is people really are stupid.like a time I whent to do some range time a few thug types(best word I can fit)just start running thier mouth about the pussy assed sniper and his junk gun...about then I tuned out to all of this stupidity and just whent about my business and shot up some rounds.at the end of the session I usually blow off the target hangar to see if I can(I know stupid)and I hear "dumb fuck caint even aim" and laughs, from down range spectators.my point is I would never think to mouth off and try to piss off a guy carrying in loaded mags 300 rds for the AR and 200 rds for a HK USP 45.I mean what if I was a complete dum shit, I mean you dont know people and the stupid crap they are thinking or will do.

an armed society is a polite society.I have heard that some where.these people evidently cant read that.some one also told me how my AR is junk and how bad they malfunction ect.and proceeded to tell me how it takes a few rounds to drop some one with one and his 30-06 will do it with just one.I said great why dont you take one round from this junk .223.he declined.I also pointed out that yes way back in the day when the AR was first made it was not the best made.it has how ever gone thru 45 yrs of engineering changes to make it the EXCELLENT weapon it is today.

sorry for the rant that just got me going.stupid switch off.

RANT off.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I cant stand it when people run their mouths about shit they know nothing about. We see it all the time on the boards about some f@#$head at the gun show telling you this or that and why you shouldn't buy this and why you should buy that. I went into a local gun shop one day a few years back and wanted to buy a semi-auto handgun, the asshole tried to make me believe a revolver was the way to go go and was much safer! He said I would think twice about shooting someone due to the limited ammo, I wanted a gun to shoot, not a BS opinion.

I try not to go to gun stores anymore for anything unless absolutely necessary, I try to but everything online and build my own, buy ammo online, and if I want a new weopen order one here from a dealer with a reputtation and information, not an attitude and opinion.

I recently bought a new "sniper" rifle from Talon. This is a real sniper rifle, FN A1A SPR w/ McMillan A3 stock and a whole bunch of goodies. I had a chance to go the range a few times with it now and try some new loads. I drew a crowd but everyone was very pleasant and positive with their comments and discussions. I went last week and somee of the same gawkers were there, this time I brought my Colt 6721 to sight in my ACOG at 100yds also. Peoples attitude changed slightly when i started shooting the AR. Someone said "That Sucks". Oh well, with my 4x ACOG I shot about 2in groups max at 100yds while they all shot 2in groups with their hunting rifles. Needless to say, they were impressed with the shooting by the end of the session.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, but you don't have to be one. I'm so sick of the gun haters BS anymore, I wish they would all just shut up and shoot, if you dont like then you dont have to, if I do then I am entitled to do what I want. I am free in his country, I thank the soldiers for that who gave their lives with these Evil weopens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Well , if there are alot of hunter/boltgun only types at your range , plan a step ahead.

If they say something rude , just give them a 'serial killer' look, eye-to-eye.

Tell them you rarely wear underwear , and if you do , it something unusual.
Tell them garlic makes your feet stink, and its forbidden to piss against the wind.

I did that last time, and got a real DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS from them.

That will scare them off , or at least keep them silent.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I shoot IPSC, CMP and DCM. No matter what I shoot in any of those three disciplines, someone always gives me shit about my choice of equipment. Laugh at them. It always pisses them off. If you like what you shoot, that's all that matters. Also, ask them if they are any good without their scopes.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top