Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/12/2009 12:11:18 PM EDT
Where can I find a grenade clip for behind the fron flash hider?  Thanks!

Dave
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
BTW, what model #'s are these appropriate on?  Only 601's?

This was replaced by the "grenade ring" on the carbines, right?
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
BTW, what model #'s are these appropriate on?  Only 601's?

This was replaced by the "grenade ring" on the carbines, right?

If it's any guide,  I have seen the Colt booklet called "5.56mm Military Weapons Systems, Car-15 and CMG-1 Specifications."  It's from 1965.
In it there is a picture of the front of a rifle with a grenade on it.  So if rifle grenades were still being used in 1965 as this would imply then those spring retainer clips would be correct for 601s, 602s, early 603s, and early 604s. I'm sure an expert will be along shortly to confirm or deny.  
The "grenade ring" on a carbine is used to hold the grenade launcher in place not the grenade.
See photo  http://www.warboats.org/mst2Bremmer/Stoner_ord_notes/stonerhtml/XM148.htm

Link Posted: 12/12/2009 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Huh, interesting!

OK, now, wonder if there's any clips of the retainer tongs on 602/3/4 type rifles, so far I think I've only seen 601's with them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
HOW MANY YOU WANT??? Here ya go..http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/parts.cgi?read=262369

Sniper,

The link doesn't work and I searched the site with no luck.  Any more around?  Thanks!

Dave
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Sarco  part number  AR217  $4.95 ea or $14.95 for five  Ad in Shotgun News Vol 63 Issue 35 Dec 14, 2009
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sarco  part number  AR217  $4.95 ea or $14.95 for five  Ad in Shotgun News Vol 63 Issue 35 Dec 14, 2009

Wish I had cleaned them out when I got mine for $1.79.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Group buy?  
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it beats the $25.00 Bill Ricca wants for one . Sportsmans Guide had these really cheap a few years back, there ad said they came out of Israel.

Link Posted: 12/12/2009 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Huh, interesting!

OK, now, wonder if there's any clips of the retainer tongs on 602/3/4 type rifles, so far I think I've only seen 601's with them.

This doesn't show the spring retainer clip, but the "CAR Family Photo" below which must be from a Colt brochure, also shown on the bottom of the model 605 page on Retroblackrifle.com,  shows a 603 with a chrome BCG and a rifle grenade and leaf sight.

Link Posted: 12/12/2009 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Peep, I think early partial fence 603's (Thats what that looks like to me, I think) actually had chrome BCG's, so that doesn't shock me.

I do wonder if it has the retainer though...I mean, hey, you don't NEED that to launch the grenades do you?  The "Simon" breeching grenade the Israeli's made seems to fit a normal 16A2...
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I've only seen modern photos of these spring clips even on 601s and clones. I'll bet old photos exist but I've  never seen a picture from the 1959 to say '65  time frame that shows the spring retainer.  All the photos I've seen from then show a grenade on the rifle just like that "Family Photo."   Is there a retainer clip underneath or not? I can not say. Maybe someone can post a photo from that period that shows. I'll keep looking too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 1:02:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it beats the $25.00 Bill Ricca wants for one . Sportsmans Guide had these really cheap a few years back, there ad said they came out of Israel.

By the way...Does anybody else find it unusual that EVERYTHING that HE has there is the original, first, best, yadda, yadda, yadda and everything else that everyone else has and makes is crap?

Or do I just not know Bill that well yet?
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#14]
The original AR15 design incorporated the ability to fire rifle grenades as that was one of the things the Army desired in any/all of it's infantry rifles at the time (1950's), the grenade ring is actually more a "grenade stabilizer". The FH itself is actually the mount for the standard (of the time) Energa 75mm grenade, the grenade will mount on the FH w/o the "grenade ring", the ring is more of a spring that stabilizes the rear of the grenade behind the actual "mount" which is the FH, I've seen no reference to the ring/spring in any of the manuals of the time, including the 1960 Colt AR15 manual, the early Air Force manual on the 601 or the 1966 XM16E1 manual. They are military contract parts though but they may have been for use once the rifle was fired a few times w/the grenade as the fit between a new FH & the grenade (talking of the Energa here) is very tight when new & doesn't seem to need the ring, after a few grenade launches the wear from the grenade base on the FH may have been enough to leave a bit of "wobble", the ring would stabilize the grenade & overcome this, I think this may have been the original purpose for these, by the time the AR15 was actually in service the "need" for the rifle to fire rifle grenades was pretty much unnecessary due to the early grenade launchers (think the early one, VN era, was the Law) & the developement of the M79, XM148 & M203, the later rifle grenades, after the Energa were also a bit smaller & lighter in the "head" area of the grenade & most likely wouldn't have created a "wear" problem on the surface of the FH. This "theory" is based on my 601 & 603 replicas w/the Energa grenade fitted, on the 601 the barrel assembly is a NOS 601 unit & the grenade goes on the Duckbill & is very tight & stable, when I put it on the XM16E1 replica which has a "used" 3-prong it's a bit looser, putting the ring on the XM16E1 tightens it up completely. Also w/the ring in place once you fit a grenade to the rifle the "tongs or fingers" on the grenade ring lose some of their "spring" so even using a ring it seems they would most likely be effective for a few launchings & then they'd have to be replaced! It appears (to me) that the grenade ring, which would probably be more correctly identified as a spring was designed/purchased to solve a problem that never came up in service due to the fact that the M16 once finally adopted & issued in lg numbers was never used to launch rifle grenades as that requirement was met by the other pieces of equipment mentioned above.
As for Bill Ricca, if you want real, legit stuff you can count on his stuff being the real deal without question, I know him, see him at many shows, he is one of the most knowledgeable, honest & sincere guys I've met in the collecting field in 30yrs, his speciality is US arms & their accoutrements & he does not misrepresent or mistakenly identify anything, he's one of the most honest, honorable & dedicated people I've ever met, so you can deal w/him w/absolute confidence, bar none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 12/13/2009 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've known Bill Ricca personally since 1978 ( I call him Uncle Bill),Bill used to hit ALL the real govt military auctions and buy parts by the palet,or truck load.Bill can supply you with almost ANY NSN number for any part made by and for the military.He tells you straight out in his add regarding M16,when too many folks were doing repro parts he started to get out of M16 stuff..You can be sure that when you buy ANYTHING from him it is genuine USGI unless he states otherwise.You don't have to like his prices,but you CAN be sure you are getting THE REAL DEAL,no questions asked. He can and will take the time to teach folks how to tell originals from fakes,and in alot of cases he can tell you who the repro maker was..Most of the info I've learned about M1 sniper rifles came from him...He is honest to a fault ... As far as I'm concerned,,yes his items are the greatest,,but certainly NOT the latest..Meaning his stuff is USGI not new crap..
ETA somehow I oppssed,I'm replying to the statement below by aahhh,I'm confused now,too many quotes...

By the way...Does anybody else find it unusual that EVERYTHING that HE has there is the original, first, best, yadda, yadda, yadda and everything else that everyone else has and makes is crap?

Link Posted: 12/13/2009 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No Offense, your probably not old enough to know his reputation yet.  Bill Ricca (and Different) are probably the most knowledgeable and respected names around M14's and M1's.
He'll take questions here:

http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Link Posted: 12/13/2009 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#17]
To add to ^^  BAR's ,03 springfields,.30,.50 cal machineguns,.45 colt 1911,M16s.Pretty much ANY firearm in the US inventory going back ??????
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Jeez, I stirred up a mess. Just meant I wouldn't pay that much for one of those clips. He does have a whole lot of other stuff that can be hard to find.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Jeez, I stirred up a mess. Just meant I wouldn't pay that much for one of those clips. He does have a whole lot of other stuff that can be hard to find.

Nah, you're right. It does beat the $25.00 that Bill Ricca has it for.

But try to engrave a Colt emblem on it...
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Naa,don't consider it stirring up a mess...We just know Bill for alot of years and want you and all to know he's good to go for sure...That's all..Like a mother bear watching over her cubs... And DO feel free to bounce questions off him he is a wealth of info...

Link Posted: 12/13/2009 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, apparently I just don't know Bill that well yet.
Sorry for torching him so quick!

My skepticism comes from dealing recently with another manufacturer, who has similar (But in their case, false!) hype about their products.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Funny, I just listed one on GunBroker.com

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd135/rbrenalvirez/Sell1019.jpg
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Funny, I just listed one on GunBroker.com ..............

Edited...VA-gunnut

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd135/rbrenalvirez/Sell1019.jpg

welcome to the retro forum........but you may want to read the Code of Conduct at the top of the page, then edit your post before you get locked.

sorry, but you're not allowed to advertise your stuff here in the retro forum..someone else can show a link to your stuff, but you can't

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Oops! Thanks and my apologies for not knowing the procedure! I removed the link. Hope that is sufficient!
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#26]
looks like you have some nice handguards up on GB as well
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top