Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2003 3:18:07 PM EDT
Can someone give the lowdown on what type of grease to use on the barrel nut? I know the TM says to use Moly-Disulfide, but here in South Florida I can only find this stuff mixed with Lithium, Graphite, and/or Copper. Are any of these actually detrimental to aluminum? Can anybody suggest a local source in Broward County?
Thanks, Seth
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#1]
wheel bearing grease will be fine. I use Permatex Anti-seize. You only want to feather on a little bit to help seat the threads and help in future disassembly. If you put too much, it will leak out on everything when the barrel gets hot.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:51:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Anti-Seize is what I used on mine.  Readily avaliable at any auto parts or wal-mart.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Regular grease, yeah.

Make sure not to use anything containing graphite or copper/bronze/different metals. They can cause galvanic corrosion in aluminum.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:20:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Regular grease, yeah.

Make sure not to use anything containing graphite or copper/bronze/different metals. They can cause galvanic corrosion in aluminum.
View Quote

...what the hell is "galvanic corrosion"???
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...what the hell is "galvanic corrosion"???
View Quote

Everything you never wanted to know about galvanic corrosion can be found here (which I found on google)...

http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Aircraft/galvdefi.htm

Cheers, Backcountry
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Always used Molybdenum Disulfide, MOLY-SLIDE, same stuff by brand name.  Try Brownells.  Other wise any anti sieze should work, and aid smoothing installation on a dry AL receiver.  Put a thin layer inside the receiver where that extension goes into the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Axle grease.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top