Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/14/2003 3:18:07 PM EDT
Can someone give the lowdown on what type of grease to use on the barrel nut? I know the TM says to use Moly-Disulfide, but here in South Florida I can only find this stuff mixed with Lithium, Graphite, and/or Copper. Are any of these actually detrimental to aluminum? Can anybody suggest a local source in Broward County?
Thanks, Seth
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:12:25 PM EDT
wheel bearing grease will be fine. I use Permatex Anti-seize. You only want to feather on a little bit to help seat the threads and help in future disassembly. If you put too much, it will leak out on everything when the barrel gets hot.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:51:41 AM EDT
Anti-Seize is what I used on mine. Readily avaliable at any auto parts or wal-mart.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:17:20 PM EDT
Regular grease, yeah. Make sure not to use anything containing graphite or copper/bronze/different metals. They can cause galvanic corrosion in aluminum.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:20:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By b0ne: Regular grease, yeah. Make sure not to use anything containing graphite or copper/bronze/different metals. They can cause galvanic corrosion in aluminum.
View Quote
...what the hell is "galvanic corrosion"???
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:36:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Colt45man: ...what the hell is "galvanic corrosion"???
View Quote
Everything you never wanted to know about galvanic corrosion can be found here (which I found on google)... http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Aircraft/galvdefi.htm Cheers, Backcountry
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:56:44 PM EDT
Always used Molybdenum Disulfide, MOLY-SLIDE, same stuff by brand name. Try Brownells. Other wise any anti sieze should work, and aid smoothing installation on a dry AL receiver. Put a thin layer inside the receiver where that extension goes into the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:56:28 PM EDT
Axle grease.
Top Top