Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2011 6:13:21 AM EDT
Yep, thats right I'm going back to a DI gun. I have nothing against piston guns, except for the fact that i cannot replace the barrel on my LWRC upper myself. I may go with an osprey defense kit or an adams arms later on, but i need an upper i can service. So I'm gonna sell my M6A1 upper.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#1]
That's one of the reasons I found a retrofit kit more to my liking.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Control Freak!!! JK  

Link Posted: 7/15/2011 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yep, thats right I'm going back to a DI gun. I have nothing against piston guns, except for the fact that i cannot replace the barrel on my LWRC upper myself. I may go with an osprey defense kit or an adams arms later on, but i need an upper i can service. So I'm gonna sell my M6A1 upper.

Why can't you? Just wondering. Is it because they won't sell you one of their barrels? Is it the bushing on the UR that the piston rides in? To me, if I was LWRC I wouldn't want anyone else working on a rifle that carries my name. They are a young company that had some teething issues. I am not implying you aren't a good gun smith but if you put in a substandard barrel or did some shoddy work and the rifle started giving you issue through no fault of LWRCs, all anyone at the range would hear is, "that LWRC is a POS." Glad to know that you put over 20K rounds through your old barrel.Via con Dios.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, 20,000 rounds of fire is a large investment to wear out that barrel or others like it.  6000 dollars when ammo is cheap and 10000 when it's not.  I've never understood why folks that will probably only shoot 5000 rounds out of their rifle ever, get upset that certain weapons are a factory refit.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Go Osprey easy to change back what I did is 3 out of 5 carbines have the 416 I kept their BCGs as back up in case I wanted or needed to change back.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Go Osprey easy to change back what I did is 3 out of 5 carbines have the 416 I kept their BCGs as back up in case I wanted or needed to change back.

+1 Osprey is the way to go
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you own 20,000 rounds of ammo, and what condition will the other parts be in after you put it all through that barrel? I've met guys with whole spare parts kits, or cases of mags, and they the have a few hundred rounds of ammo...? Not bagging your choice, just tossing some logical evaluation, that you may have already done, into the mix. Me, I'll spend the $ on another upper, or whole gun.

Don't forget to stock up on a lot more lube, gas rings, and pipe cleaners too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Either Osprey or Adams is a good choice. Osprey only if you have to have a standard front sight base though. Adams for all other buis options and ease of choices like barrels. Just my 2 cents.

Link Posted: 7/16/2011 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Slim, why are you keeping your REPR/trying to get a shorter upper but selling this one?
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm, I just trade off my LBC M4 making all my carbine 223 pistons.
I still have a White Oak custom 26" barrel 15 pounds with scope gun but it may go as well

I actually traded the LBC M4 for another FS2000 so have two of those now as well as a Keltech SU16CA and my flagship PWS MK114

I really liked the LBC M4 Police (2010 version) but the fact it gets so dirty with carbon I question its ability if things go south and all those zombies show up all sudden like.

So, off it went.

Talk about an easy design to maintain that FN FS2000 is great.
I only wanted to try one and get rid of it for fun but they are excellent guns a SBR without the paperwork.
The funny thing is the barrel is 3" longer than my PWS MK114 but the overall length of the FN is 6 inches shorter.

The DI guns are nice but the cleaning gets to be annoying at least IMO

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Slim, why are you keeping your REPR/trying to get a shorter upper but selling this one?

I like how the repr is setup when i'll have the shorter upper on it. But i want to be able to service the .223 upper myself since i'll be armorer certified.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like how the repr is setup when i'll have the shorter upper on it. But i want to be able to service the .223 upper myself since i'll be armorer certified.

So an armorer certification means you gotta start taking everything apart? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

That rifle will service you long before you'll have to worry about replacing its barrel.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So an armorer certification means you gotta start taking everything apart? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

That rifle will service you long before you'll have to worry about replacing its barrel.

No, but i like to know i'll be able to when the time comes.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Why can't you?
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Shoulda bought an LMT MRP.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why can't you?

I asked this earlier. He hasn't even ran it through 20K rounds and he is worried about swapping barrels? I don't think people actually realize how many bullets 20K is. If you shot 500 rounds per weekend only stopping on holidays it would take about a year. That is also about $8000 at about an average cost of ammo spent within that year. If you got 8K on ammo to spend you can afford for the factory to redo your barrel.
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I replaced the barrel on mine to a 14" from a 16" after I duracoated it..... Whats the problem?
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He still can, and should, 'specially because it can be converted between piston and DI in minutes, depending on his needs at the moment.
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 Osprey is the way to go

yeah this

Link Posted: 7/20/2011 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes, 20,000 rounds of fire is a large investment to wear out that barrel or others like it.  6000 dollars when ammo is cheap and 10000 when it's not.  I've never understood why folks that will probably only shoot 5000 rounds out of their rifle ever, get upset that certain weapons are a factory refit.

This.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Actually, im gonna keep the upper, i'll just buy a DI upper.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#22]
don't blame you, same reason I sold my SCAR.  I don't want a gun I can't work on
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 4:37:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I would just keep it and get another DI upper.
Dave N
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#24]

If the LWRC is something you don't want to deal with in barrel changes, I think you'd be better off just selling it and buying a couple Adams Arms uppers or converting a couple DI's with their conversion than you've have ease of barrel changes, awesome piston uppers and backups.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He still can, and should, 'specially because it can be converted between piston and DI in minutes, depending on his needs at the moment.

+1
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top