Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2022 3:31:45 PM EDT
I picked up one of those teslong borescopes finally and wanted to check out the condition of some barrels I have.  These 8 are exactly the same, same manufacturer, length, gas port size, 4 are made on one day and 4 the day after.  

My question is does it make a difference where the the gas port is located?  Is it better to be on the land, in the groove, or across both to some degree?  Out of these 8, which one looks the best and which looks the worst?

Thank you

#1: half land, half groove

#2: pretty much centered on the land

#3: two thirds groove and one third land

#4: all groove

#5: mostly groove with a touch of land

#6: three quarters groove and a quarter land

#7: two thirds groove and one third land

#8: similar to 2, pretty much centered on the land

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
My question is does it make a difference where the the gas port is located?
View Quote

I doubt it matters, but don't think anyone has done any testing to determine that.  It would be a difficult task to torque a barrel extension and locate the gas port to a specific position relative to the lands.  You can see from your images that there isn't a whole lot of real estate between the lands and grooves.  Much ado about nothing, and yet another reason I will never own a bore scope.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Double-tap
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree that I don't think it really matters.
With all the variations in twist, rifling, calibers, clocking of the barrel, etc. it would be almost impossible for a manufacturer to get the gas port in the groove every time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
it would be almost impossible for a manufacturer to get the gas port in the groove every time.
View Quote

Krieger does exactly that because they concluded that it does matter.

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/krieger_gas_port_unfired_03_resized-2529833.jpg

View Quote

Cool.  I suspect that is rare though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/krieger_gas_port_unfired_03_resized-2529833.jpg

View Quote

Is the port chamfered too? It looks like it is...
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Double tap
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#8]
On a Competition Match Target rifle, it probably makes difference and is a benefit.   On anything else, it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Doesn't matter unless doing a Feamster build.

I'd rather not have an interruption in the driving side of the land though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Completely in the land or groove is supposed to be the most ideal IIRC. That being said, I still don't care or check.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I just checked about 20 other barrels and all but 2 have the port on a land. Interesting Stuff
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

But does the end user really want to spend the extra dollars on a Krieger barrel or even need the hypothetical and extremely small difference it might make to have the port in the groove?  Only the end user can answer that.  I have a ton of barrels that all shoot MOA or better and certainly a lot better than I need them to shoot that have the gas ports all over the place.  Only a bench rest shooter or SERIOUS long range paper puncher who are measuring groups in the thousandths of an inch for prize money (or really anal bragging rights) would ever want or need such a degree of precision, or be willing to pay for it.  There is a reason why every swinging Johnson out there neither wants or needs a high dollar Krieger barrel.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Ahh, Teslong...

Bringing out the inner OCD in home gunsmiths everywhere.  

I'm not the type of shooter that can wring out any barrel enough to find the difference in accuracy that the gas port location may or may not have.  And I am never going to need a $500 or $600 barrel to worry about it anyway.  For those that do, buy a barrel that guarantees the gas port in in a land or groove and don't lose sleep over it.  Those manufacturers going to that level of detail are also probably doing a lot more QC in other aspects to ensure barrel accuracy.  So I doubt hitting what you are aiming at will be a problem.
Top Top