Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2004 1:06:28 PM EDT
Hi
What is the difference in these two mounts?
I'm ready to put an Aimpoint on my rifle and would like to see some pics of each mount and opinions on each.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to be a wise guy, but at least once a week somebody starts' this "Chevy Vs Ford" debate and the two enemy camps again take up arms against each other. You should real look around the forum, There is a ton of info on these two that has ben hashed and rehashed.

Basically in a nutshell one is more of a hard mount, not easily removable without a wrench and once has a throw lever,easy on/off mount. if you bought either one you would be in excellent shape. it boils down to what you like and if you like to take your Aimpoint off alot or not.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Harv
The GG&G ring I was looking at was the cantilever ring,I should have specified.
Yes,folks here do go off on a tear sometimes about what they like best.I like that,not a lot of half-hearted opinions.
I'll be buying a Aimpoint setup for my rifle soon and just wanted to pick the brains of the most knowledgeable group I know and maybe get a few pics.
Haven't been on the site for a while due to work.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Both companies make the cantilever. The 22M68 also allows the cantilever to be removed and lower the scope for other ht. mountings. The spring loaded levers do lessen shock waves going to the scope, much like shock absorbers on cars.
Jack
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the 22M68 with cantilever extension.  Its more flexible in the long run due to its modularity.  Its durable, and the QD feature is repeatable, and nice for taking it off for serious cleanings.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
GG&G is all I will use now. I have tons of ARMS trash Yeah, trash as in "basura" and I hate it. I made my personal conclusion by spending the cash, not asking around. The #2 mount is the best thing I have purchased. ARMS is sheeple stuff. You willnot have any probs with GG&G goodies.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Buey

From your post, I think most will say you deserve just what you have.
Jack
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for being insulting.

This sheeple will keep his ARMS mounts and BUIS thank you.

Want to talk to some people that have had GG&G stuff break repeatedly?  I know a couple.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Buey                                              I was just thinking how the folks you work for, used to like the ARMS stuff so much, that if I remember right, they ended up in federal court on many counts of counterfeiting the products you don't like. Now your trashy no sense comments, hmmm!
That must be a conflict for you, since they pled to the fed counts and had to pay ARMS a lot of money. That info was all over the place a few years ago, do your home work.
Jack
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ARMS is sheeple stuff.
View Quote

Buying airsoft knockoffs from Eb*y doesn't count.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Buey                                              I was just thinking how the folks you work for, used to like the ARMS stuff so much, that if I remember right, they ended up in federal court on many counts of counterfeiting the products you don't like. Now your trashy no sense comments, hmmm!
That must be a conflict for you, since they pled to the fed counts and had to pay ARMS a lot of money. That info was all over the place a few years ago, do your home work.
Jack
View Quote

I work for UPS. We dont really deliver to places that require a tactical setup. Since I deliver arms trash and GGG junk. It doesnt make didly whos product I deliver.
Sorry some of you guys cant handle my dislike for ARMS stuff. But some of youll act like highschool cliques. He doesnt like ARMS so attack him. I have never seen KAC stuff, so I dont know.Buty I like GGG and I will preach their goodness.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thank you for being insulting.

This sheeple will keep his ARMS mounts and BUIS thank you.

Want to talk to some people that have had GG&G stuff break repeatedly?  I know a couple.
View Quote

Everybody has stuff that breaks, so who cares.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Im not in any clique.  I use what works for me. My guns have a mix of ARMS, KAC and even GG&G parts.

I have no problem with you disagreeing, but you might want to learn some tact instead acting like a high school kid.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well I don't think ARMS products are "trash" as you say. GG&G makes some nice stuff, but they have their own issues...

C4
View Quote

It all started when I bought the 22M68 ring and 39A2. In less than 90 rounds the ring would jiggle on the picatinny rail. Like the black pad bent or came loose, but it is still there. That is what did it for me. The 39 mount diagonally on my A1 but perfect on the A2. I blame the gun on that one. I have had more issues with ARMS than GGG.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Im not in any clique.  I use what works for me. My guns have a mix of ARMS, KAC and even GG&G parts.

I have no problem with you disagreeing, but you might want to learn some tact instead acting like a high school kid.
View Quote

You are a main person in the AR15.com clique.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:...
View Quote

View Quote

Now I'm hurt, Chris got mentioned and no one else WTF [:o)]

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#20]
From what he describes is easy to see what his problems were. His so called Picatinny rail he was attaching to, was one of those that have proved not to be. The militaty buy throw lever mounts prob. in the hundreds of thosands for attachment to real Picatinny rails. On a #39, that is easy, if it is tightened more than designed for, then it can kick over to one side. I did that myself a long time ago, but took a look at what I did wrong and fixed it, since I could see that they didn't make it crooked in the machines, Just common sense. derrr!
What a knowledgeable and pleasant UPS driver!
Jack
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

I like him, lets keep him around for cheap entertainment.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks Striker,

I'll just toss out KAC or ARMS goodies and he'll go running for it leaving the chair to me
[<]:)]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By the Main Person In The AR15.com Clique:

I like him, lets keep him around for cheap entertainment.
View Quote

[lolabove]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks Striker,

I'll just toss out KAC or ARMS goodies and he'll go running for it leaving the chair to me
[<]:)]
View Quote

Then I can yank the chair out from under you right when you go to sit down, grab the bag of KAC & ARMS goodies you were holding, and run like a Taliban from a Ranger. [devil]

[hail] Lumpy!! Can I be a cliquer too?? [snoopy]

As for GG&G. They do have some nice stuff. However. I have a VERY close friend, who has had his GG&G MAD BUIS go out at least 3, maybe 4 times on him. Each time needing to be sent back to GG&G for repair/replacement. No manufacturer is perfect.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
[hail] Lumpy!! Can I be a cliquer too?? [snoopy]

View Quote

Dude, I didnt even know I was in til just a little while ago.

I guess you'll get your notice here shortly.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#27]
[hail][img]http://photos.ar15.com/Galleries/Avatars/24926.jpg[/img]
[hail2][hail2][hail2][hail2][hail2]
..............[peep]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I just want to be minister of defiance!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#29]
[url=www.btammolabs.com/fun/pickme.mp3]Pick Me![/url]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Look, I am not here to bash GG&G stuff. Folks can look up how I have recomended their stuff on many occasions in the past. But My GG&G M.A.D. site has had to go back to them three friggin times. I bought it, installed it on my rifle, and it would not stay fully up. After each and every shot the recoil of the rifle knocked it down partially. Sent it back, they replaced it with a new one.

After swtching the new MAD from one rifle to another about three times in the course of about 2 years, the heli-coil (is that what its called?) that the cross bolt screws into and tightens the site to the receiver popped out. It was unusable. So I sent it back and it was repaired and sent back to me.

Put it on a third teir upper of mine because I had lost faith in it. I recently got a new rail system and took the MAD sight off to install it. When I tried to reinstall it to another rifle, the heli-coil came out again. I was pretty upset. Sent it back and they replaced it with a new one that has the new locking lever. I've lost about all faith in this site and almost left it in the package and sold it. This is not one single unit that keeps breaking, I am on my third one and to be honest, I am afraid to really use it much or take it off for fear of the heli-coil coming out AGAIN.

OK, OK, so what does this MAD Site have to do with the GG&G Cantilever mount the guy is asking for? Nothing. However...

I have had a GG&G Cantilever mount for 4 years now. I have used the crap out of it and have suggested it as a mouont MANY, MANY times. I really like its spare battery cap. What I hate about it is that I broke it too! There is a roll pin that holds the cross bolt in on one side. The other side of the cross bolt has the thumb screw which tightens the whole unit on to the upper. About the time I set up my TAO1nsn + Aimpoint rig, I was trying to use the Cantilever mount. After losening and tightening the mount a few times to see how I could get it to work, the darn roll pin sheered off on either end and the cross bolt came right out. I was livid. I've gotten a little tired of sending stuff back to GG&G so I found a simiar roll pin, punched the broken one out and replaced it. It was an easy enough fix... but this GG&G mount sits on the same upper as the MAD site. And sadly, that upper is a spare that almost never gets shot anymore...

This is not to say I have never had a problem with an ARMS mount. My very first set of #22M rings were actually missing a rollpin and made my SPR impossible to zero until I figured out what was wrong. They sent me a sew set muy pronto and I have never had another issue with any of the ARMS gear I own.

Everyone makes stuff that has problems because nothing is 100%. But the fact that I have broken more than half of the GG&G products I own has changed my mind somewhat. When all of this happened I did not come on here to cry or complain about it, if it were a widespread problem with the MADs or Cantilevers, I am sure we would be hearing more about it. But my experience has made me think twice about suggesting them further.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#31]
OK, but are you in the clique? [;)]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Who knows man, but I doubt it. Im far too much the dork to be in any clique. Kev is military, you are L/E... Im a friggin waiter. I just dont fit in at all.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn that reminds me I made a really nice asparagus and shimp layout - heck I made hollandaise sauce too - and was needing wine info - too late it got eaten and people drank a lot of wine...

Neil on the serious side of AR stuff you use your stuff more than 95% of LE and MIL do...
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Kev... next time bust out some California Sauvignon Blancs. They fit well with most seafood, shrimp included, and actually match well with a lot of challenging vegetables, like asparagus (artichokes and spinach too). If you're feeling a little spendy, Frogs Leap makes a great Sauvignon Blanc, and I like the way it says "RIBBIT" on the cork!!! Duck Horn is also pricey and it is very heavy for a Sauvignon Blanc if you dont like how lite some of them are. Chalk Hill makes really good wines and they have a Sauvignon Blanc though I have never had it.

Unless mistaken, Fume Blanc is the same as Sauvignon Blanc, but it is aged in smoked barrels. So you will get a little bit of that flavor in with the wine too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:29:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Neil thanks,

I am trying the guerilla gourmet methodology of looking for a new ex wife, my theory is to double my disposable gun buying income [:D]

My second theory being women are like carpet lay them right the first time, you can walk all over them...

Probably explains my divorce but I hear for s proper survey N must be greater than 32 (I'll start a harem)

Back to GG&G  - I have two MAD's that have stood up well (over 4 years - and nothing I own stands up that long...)  But I have had problems I had with other GG&G gear (a cantilever, an A2 rear BIS, and a FIRE rail)

Now I replaced the MAD's with a KAC300, 600 and teo ARMS #40's but that was more for what I wanted/need than any percieved weakness in the MAD.

I have gotten Lemons from almost every manufacturer  
My first RIS, my first SIR, a Colt LE Carbine etc.  It happens

[I consider the C79 Elcan to be a disaster not a lemon BTW]

However if you get let down by equiptment you tend to shy away from it and if it occurs more than once from a manufacturer I tend to avoid them.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:50:47 AM EDT
[#36]
[peep]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Just don't be a member of the "click" clique!!!  You know, that horrible click noise your carbine makes when you pull the trigger and it's empty!!!!  HOLY SHIT!!!

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming.....

I like GG&G, ARMS, and KAC, in no particular order.  Does that serve to piss everybody off?!?!

HEE HEE
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top