Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 7:51:06 AM EDT
I believe I read somewhere that the reticle for the eotech is SUPPOSE to be fuzzy when looking directly at it, and it clears up when you take your focus off of it.  Is this correct?  I just got my new eotech and it looks a little TOO fuzzy.  Is this simply something that needs getting used to?  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Dave
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Thought mine was fuzzy too.  Then realized my eyeballs were actually what was fuzzy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I believe I read somewhere that the reticle for the eotech is SUPPOSE to be fuzzy when looking directly at it, and it clears up when you take your focus off of it.  Is this correct?  I just got my new eotech and it looks a little TOO fuzzy.  Is this simply something that needs getting used to?  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Dave

You are correct. If you stare at your target (say 25+ yards away) the reticule will be clear (a bit "grainy" from the use of a real laser. If you try to focus on the reticule itself, it will go out of focus and be really fuzzy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I have yet to see one that wasn't "Fuzzy".  I just can't bring myself to get one becuase of that.  Yea it has a 1MOA dot but that dot has 2MOA of fuzz.

ETA: Grainy is a better description of what it looks like.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#4]
This should go in Eyewear.

i.e.    You need script glasses
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I love my eotech, but it's fuzzy as all hell when I'm not wearing my glasses.

I haven't ever tried looking at the target instead of the reticle.  I'll give that a shot (lame pun intended.)  That might explain why sometimes it's not as fuzzy.

I can tell you this, though -- if you have astigmatism, you're likely going to get some amount of fuzziness / double reticle, even with lens correction.  I get a little bit of that, but not enough to cause me a problem.  I STILL like the eotech better than the aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#6]
had the same with mine, couldn't get use to it. plus the recticle is too busy for me, sold it and bought an aimpoint
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I love my eotech, but it's fuzzy as all hell when I'm not wearing my glasses.

I haven't ever tried looking at the target instead of the reticle.  I'll give that a shot (lame pun intended.)  That might explain why sometimes it's not as fuzzy.

I can tell you this, though -- if you have astigmatism, you're likely going to get some amount of fuzziness / double reticle, even with lens correction.  I get a little bit of that, but not enough to cause me a problem.  I STILL like the eotech better than the aimpoint.

That's it right there. Astigmatism and red dots don't go well together. I have a -3.50 cylinder(astigmatism) in both eyes and have ran both and 551 and the ML2. The Aimpoint is much better fror strong astigmitism because it doesn't have the 65 moa ring. That thing turns to shit with my eyes. Ainpoint distorts quite a bit too however it is still useable because there is less of it to distort. Of course all this is remedied by my specs.

But back on topic, yes the EOTech reticle is grainy but when you're accually using it you really don't notice. it gets the job done just as fast as an Ml2 . EO is a nice, high quality red dot. Put on your glasses and enjoy that f*cker.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I get a fuzzy, almost oblong looking smear of a dot with my aimpoint (Lower right to upper left).  I've shot enough with it to know which "dot" is the correct one.  I'm dead on with it after having gone through the process of figuring this out.  This is possible as  long as how you see the "dot" is consistent.  I just zero on the upper left part of the smear.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I like it.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:00:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you to those who resonded.  I don't believe my eyes have any irregularity, and I don't wear any corrective lenses.  In fact, my vision is quite good.  I will confer with an optomologist regarding what you have suggested anyways.  Any other experiences with this phenomena would be appreciated.  Does anyone else experience the "grainy"/fuzzy reticle?  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thank you to those who resonded.  I don't believe my eyes have any irregularity, and I don't wear any corrective lenses.  In fact, my vision is quite good.  I will confer with an optomologist regarding what you have suggested anyways.  Any other experiences with this phenomena would be appreciated.  Does anyone else experience the "grainy"/fuzzy reticle?  Thanks again.

Check out this link.  Info/explanation from the manufacturers mouth:

www.eotech-inc.com/cust_faq.php
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I love both of my EOTech 551 & 552 Holographic sights. I believe when you turn either on it starts at setting 12 out of 20 settings daylight. I like it both hot / fuzzed and light and little, it just depends on what type of situation might warrant a change. I also like the 4 hours auto off on the left button, and the 8 hr auto off on the right button.
I just came back from the 100 yd range a few minutes ago blasting my 2 Bushmasters w/ 551 / 552 sights. I noticed it helped to lower the reticle setting to a fairly low level, because of the shade at my shooting location, along with the bright sun mix downrange. I had both of the sights zeroed at 50 yds a few days ago, and I did not have to adjust any setting on either, to shoot real decent into B Casy 8 in dia range pressure sensitive patches at 100 yds. These sights are the real deal at short and longer distances w/ no light relection back at you, just the spotting scopes would shine back. I also love to shoot with both eyes open, and the EOTech's allow for this with no problems for me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#13]
The Eotech is a real holographic virtual image which appears to float down range. That means it will be out of focus unless you look downrage. Red dot sights like the AIMPOINT are never sharp. The Eotech is sharp when you look 'through it' at the target.

I have seen some other sights being marketed as 'holographic.' That is BS. A hologrographic sight must make use of a hologram to be correctly advertised.

The Eotech looked fuzzy to me until I learned I needed glasses. Now it is great.

It will always have laser speckle though but I don't think that is what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#14]
This is what mine looks like through my eyes.

Course, I'm 19 and my vision is like 20/20 or something

WIZZO
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top