Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 11:11:46 AM EDT
I got a batch of these little plastic bags. . .

Plastic Ammo/Magazine Bag

Each one has a picture of a rifle cartridge and the writing, "GRASP CORNER FIRMLY AND SNAP TO OPEN ALONG THIS LINE".  They also have a fair amount of writing in what looks like Vietnamese, and the date 4-25-69.  At the opposite end (not the end you grasp and snap) is a flat wire embedded in the plastic.

And my silly question is. . .   How do you seal the bags?  I mean, obviously the embedded wire plays a role, but I can't see what you do with it.  There is no adhesive that I can identify.  Are you supposed to fold the plastic and bend the wire in some way?  Or is it supposed to be done with heat?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought some of those at a gun show back in '89 or so. I never knew what they were for but I thought they were cool with the Vietnamese writing on them. I have no idea how they're supposed to be used.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a some bags that have the same writing on them but they have a zip lock enclosure on one side.

Mine are made specifically to stored 30 round AR mags.

If you pull on the ends of the bag hard it rips in half pretty easy.  I guess it is supposed to be for quick acess.

Mine don't have a slit in the middle.  They are actually air tight.

If someone really wants, I can take a picture.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The bags were for 20 rd M-16 mags.
With the mag in the bag, you roll the open end of the bag with the metal strip inward towards the mag and then fold the ends of the metal strip in to keep the rolled edge closed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The bags were for 20 rd M-16 mags.
With the mag in the bag, you roll the open end of the bag with the metal strip inward towards the mag and then fold the ends of the metal strip in to keep the rolled edge closed.

Nice way to seal loaded 20rd mags...

TS
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#5]
These are commonly called Chu Hoi bags.  In addition to storing mags, ammo and hemp, they were also part of the psychological war program used in Vietnam.  Depending upon the context, Chu Hoi basically means "give up, come to our side" or "friends".  Search the internet and you'll find lots of information.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Huh ??
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:17:25 AM EDT
[#7]
And the plastic-bagged magazine still neatly fits into a bandolier pocket.  Nifty!

The surprising thing to me is that the plastic hasn't rotted by now, after 36 years!  Most flexible plastics contain PVC compounds (softeners) that start turning to goo after about 10 years.  These bags still look like new.  Suddenly it's the 1970s again.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top