Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2003 4:53:15 AM EDT
Any  experiences with the FA Hornet? Ad says the bore is chrome - what about CHAMBER? How about accuracy of that lightweight barrel? Specifically after a hundred rounds or so shot in under two minutes?

Seems like after action reports are indicating poor terminal performance from (1in7) M4s in Iraq and Afghanistan. A 20" with a slower twist may be just what I'm looking for - if it shoots!

Fred
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#1]
For what it,s worth,my experience with the "Hornet" upper has been very positive.
Accuracy was in the 1.5-2.5 MOA with my sorry
vision and open sights,your mileage may vary.
As to shooting a hundred rounde in under 2 minutes affecting accuracy,I can't answer that
one.The chamber and bore are both chrome lined,
these barrels are afterall military surplus
M16A1 pieces,so therefore made to Mil.spec.
  I put my Hornet upper on a Rock River lower,
and it fit like it should,tight without a need
for the "Accuwedge"
  Hope that helps! Norm
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#2]
The Hornet uses a military surplus M16 barrel.  Marketing hype aside 1/12 twist barrel has no advantages.  Fulton tried this scheme earlier with their Mmillenium rifle which also tried to peddle cheap GI surplus barrels.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#3]
18" 1in 8 twist get a med profile barrel

Or get a Bushy GI barrel have Kurt turn it down to 18" (these are 1 in 9 ...you can still shoot the heavier grain bullets -not the biggest) and still do ok with the 55grs

The 1 in 12 might be a tad better with 52 gr hollow points but how many of them are you going to shoot?

My .o2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top