Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 3:24:54 AM EDT
I just need to get the from take down pin installed in the lower but since I dont have the tool to keep the retaining pin in does any one have any tips on doing this?  Its driving me nuts.  Thanks...

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:09:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I just hold down the detent with the pivot pin while sliding in through the hole?  It was easy for me.

check here:www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=200688
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:23:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Brownell's sells a tool for a couple of bucks that makes the process pretty simple.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:11:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I just use a standard screwdriver to hold in the detent and spring. Slip in the pin and remove the screwdriver. Easy as pie.

I do hang a towel so I don't shoot the cat again with the detent pin when the screwdriver slips.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:21:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Another tip...if you have a section of cleaning rod for 38/.357 it will fit perfectly into the pivot pin hole. Use a small screwdriver to hold the detent down, slide the rod in, then slowly feed the pivot pin while retracting the rod.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:11:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Is the spring seating almost all the way in the whole with less than a 1/4" showing before you add the detent?  The reason I ask is I just put together a Oly Max Hard lower and there was something in the hole that would only allow half the spring in the hole.  I cleaned it out with a small allen wrench.  My best advice is make sure the lower is secure such as clamped to a table then it all becomes easier.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]
A 1/4 inch clevis pin makes the best pivot pin install tool you will find anywhere at any price.  Using it takes less than 30 seconds if you take your time and there is no chance of things going air-born.  $1 at any hardware store.  You buy the pin with multiple holes in it, clean off any burrs so it slides through the pivot pin hole and clean out any burrs on the inside of the clevis pin holes.  Then you put it through the lower, line up a hole in the clevis pin with the spring/detent hole, drop through the spring and detent, depress the detent and spring with a 3/32 punch and rotate the clevis pin 90 degrees.  Take the pivot pin and place it on the end of the clevis pin, support the top of the joint between the clevis pin and pivot pin with your off hand finger and thumb, and with your other hand push the clevis pin out as you push the pivot pin in.  Done.  It takes much longer to type than to do.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, putting it together seems pretty easy,  How about taking it apart?  Is this easy?  What is the best process?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ok, putting it together seems pretty easy,  How about taking it apart?  Is this easy?  What is the best process?

Just pull the pins back out till they stop. Pulling the rear pin will allow the upper to pivot forward then pulling the front pin will let you take the complete upper off.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I second the clevis pin!

-Hershey
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

removing the front pivot pin is not too hard with the right tool.  I use a really small screw driver (like the ones used for tiny eye glasses screws) and push the detent down and at the same time rotate the pivot pin so that the slot is away from the detent, then just pull it out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#11]
there are so many solutions to this problem as most have been mentioned, make a tool !!

take a 1/4" rod drill a hole dead center about 1/4" from end slightly larger than hole in lower, be sure end is square/flat, put in vise & make a bend 2" from end & cut to suit your needs.

an interesting pin i used once is an aircraft ordinance safety pin, they have a push button ball lock.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Another tip...if you have a section of cleaning rod for 38/.357 it will fit perfectly into the pivot pin hole. Use a small screwdriver to hold the detent down, slide the rod in, then slowly feed the pivot pin while retracting the rod.

I agree.

This is exactly what I do too.

Works like a charm...

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:27:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Use a pair of needle nosed pliers to hold the detent and stick it into the receiver with the spring in there. have a buddy use a flathead screwdriver to hold down the detent or just try to slip the pivot pin in there.

I don't see myself installing many of these things so that's why I didn't bother with a tool. Call me lazy
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Model1Sales has the detent install tool for 5 bucks...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:35:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just hold down the detent with the pivot pin while sliding in through the hole?  It was easy for me.

check here:www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=200688

+1

Maybe I was just lucky, but I got it right the first time with no special tools and without any problems...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#17]
The pivot pins I use (DPMS) have a small hole in them.  To take them out, should you ever decide to, you pull the pivot pin out as far as it will go and stick a paper clip through the hole to depress the detent enough to slide out the  pivot pin.  Be careful as once you clear the hole the detent and spring will go flying.  You could always use the clevis pin to push out the pivot pin if you didn't want to risk flying parts, just make sure the clevis pin holes are 90 degrees to the detent/spring or they are going for a trip.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Place the spring and the detent in the hole compress with a thick feeler blade insert the pin "Backwards" with the grove towards the barrel end. then slide the feeler blade out and rotate the pin to the correct orientation seems to work pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Place an allen wrench or screw driver through your pin hole from the opposite side of where Take down pin goes in.. Slide the allen wrnch back far enough that you can install detent and spring. Then push it down into its void and push allen wrench over detent. The allen will hold detent and spring in place. Then easy as pie, slide your Take down pin in while simataniously removing allen wrench. This was described before above.

Or you can use a razor or exacto knife to hold detent in while you slide Take Down pin on place.

Do it inside of a large clear zip-loc bag. that way you won't have to spend all night trying to find where your detent shot off to.

Spelling sux!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I used a credit card to hold it down, then slipped the pin in above. There are a few things on ther ARs that just take determination to get in place. My other big PITA building my rifle was the snap ring that holds the delta ring pieces together
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#21]

My other big PITA building my rifle was the snap ring that holds the delta ring pieces together

Simple get a cheapo pair of snap ring pliers from the local parts store probably 3-4 dollars
Or use two flat screwdrivers like I have for the last 4 or 5 rifles.......
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks everyone I used the clevis pin trick for it.  Picked one up today for a buck and it went in without to much hassel.  Now just waiting on form 1 sign off for SBR.  Thanks again.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top