Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/9/2003 11:34:12 AM EDT
I'd like to take the sling mount off my front sight assembly (the sling mount that is standard on AR's), but I don't know how.  I see that it's a pin that's been punched, but how does one remove those?  I'm going to use the side mounted sling attachment that is standard on the Military M4's (I got mine from Bushmaster).

Any help is appreciated, as always!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll need a punch, not sure the size, bushmaster will know if you want to order one or buying a full set from "the Depot" etc. will probably get you the size you need.
 Punch from the dimpled (crimped) side toward the head.  the crimped ring will probably break, or bend out of the way,  and the pin comes right out.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet: a trip to Home Depot tonight it is!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny I kind of feel the same way when I get an excuse to visit Tool-r-us, I mean Home Depot.
BTW support  the opposite side of the frnt st. assy. w/ a softer piece of wood etc. that will crush instead of marring the finish.  LOL and enjoy
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Good idea, and thanks!

I'll post an update on how it went when I'm done.  I know, not that it's a big deal, but it's the first time I'm going to remove something from my M4 that is supposed to be somewhat permanent.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL!  That's EXACTLY what I did, and that's EXACTLY what happened!!!

Thanks, guys!  Now the sling mount doesn't get in the way of my M3 light, and since the new sling mount will be here next week, I won't be long without a sling!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I drilled the spread side of the rivet... out it slid.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I just recieved my new side sling mount from Bushmaster today and I saw your thread.So I put my new side sling mount on,put a towel on my bed took a punch small enough to fit through the pin hole,tapped punch with brass hammer and after a few hits the rivit fell right out no damage done. Works great.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#9]
How do you like the side sling mount?  I got mine because I wanted my M4gery to be closer to the real deal, and the real deal uses the side mount.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:46:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I bought one of these [img]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/Images/YHM-639_small.jpg[/img] to mount a light and a side sling mount but just putting the light mount on and off was a pain in the a$$. So I sent this back [img]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/Images/yjm-9485s-small.jpg[/img] and ordered this [img]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/Images/yhm-9468-small.jpg[/img] That way I have more room for other stuff. It looks great and I didn't spend a fortune.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top