Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2003 1:38:39 PM EDT
Have do you go about adjusting the front site on an AR??  I ordered a tool to adjust it but it is backordered and won't come in for another month.

Can I adjust the site without the special tool?  I do not want to mess site up or anything.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#1]
In the AR manual they show doing it with the tip of a bullet,ive never been able to use this,you could always use a nail to push in the plunger and then one to rotate the sight if you just use the one to depress then turn you can scratch it good,have some one help for an extra pair of hands,my wife is the official handgaurd removal helper.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The only thing you'll do is get some of the brass on the sight when the tip of the round slips. (been there, done that).  Remember M16's/AR15 are "GI proof."
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#3]
the tip of a bullet will do fine or at least i havent had trouble using one.  just make sure you depress the pin fully before moving the sight left or right
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The AR was designed with the idea of adjusting the front sight with a bullet tip.

However, you need a bullet with a pointy nose.  Plus it’s a pretty slow process if you need to make much in the way of adjustments.

Also, the newer A-2 sights are IMHO quite a bit harder to adjust with a bullet tip.

A nail, jeweler’s screwdriver, or very small pin punch will also work; just try not to scratch things up!  As model927 mentioned above, using one tool to depress the plunger and a second tool to move the sight will work nicely.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:07:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like the site can be kind of a pain to adjust.

Do the tools made to adjust the front site make this a lot easier?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
... Do the tools made to adjust the front site make this a lot easier?
View Quote

Absolutely!

Keep in mind, though, that once the front sight is initially adjusted you probably won’t be messing with it again unless you change bullet weights or something like that.

Incidentally, make sure you’re getting the right tool for your AR.

Some tools are model specific, i.e. A-1 or A-2 sights only.  You’ve [b]probably[/b] got a A-2 front sight, which has a square post and 4 detent grooves - which means you’ll need an A-2 sight tool with 4 prongs.  An A-1 front sight has a round post and 5 detent grooves.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top