Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 10:23:26 AM EDT
I recently purchased a used barrel that was advertised in the EE section and have a small problem with it... The taper pins seem to of been removed excessively or possibly removed from the wrong direction... I have several new pins and all of them are just a few thousands to small to achieve that tight fit that I would expect to have... My question is, does anyone sell over sized taper pins? If they are available, where might I find them?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag.  Interesting question.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Found them...  www.specializedarmament.com Part #: SA02006... Thing is though, you need to place a minimum order of $50.00 and the pins are $4.50 each... I guess I'll have to keep looking...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Brownells used to carry them, I'm unsure if they still do.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Stickman, im going to check with them to see... I found another place called GunAccesories.com... They have them for $1.95 each plus $9.95 shipping... Im hoping to locate them for about a $1.95 with a little cheaper shipping...

I'll let you guys know how Brownells works out...

ETA: All I could find at Brownells is the COLT and DPMS standard pins...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Found them...  www.specializedarmament.com Part #: SA02006... Thing is though, you need to place a minimum order of $50.00 and the pins are $4.50 each... I guess I'll have to keep looking...

Sounds like an excuse to buy more stuff.

"But honey, I really did HAVE TO to buy $50 worth of parts, honest"

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Send me your snail mail address and I will send you 2 for no charge. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Send me your snail mail address and I will send you 2 for no charge. Charles the Gunsmith.  

Charles, I just found them at a reasonable price and already ordered them... MidwayUSA has them and the total is $7.85 shipped... Thank you though for the offering, that was very kind of you  

Thank you to all for the help...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Screw SAW.  They're so overpriced, it makes me sick.  Check out the other places mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks Stickman, im going to check with them to see... I found another place called GunAccesories.com... They have them for $1.95 each plus $9.95 shipping... Im hoping to locate them for about a $1.95 with a little cheaper shipping...

I'll let you guys know how Brownells works out...

ETA: All I could find at Brownells is the COLT and DPMS standard pins...

Adding GunAccessories.com to my shitlist. I'll be damned if I'll buy anyting from an outfit that charges $1.95 for $0.50 pins and then has the goddam gall to charge $9.95 shipping!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]
The condition of the existing tapered holes is very important if you want the pins to do there job. I would recommend also getting a tapered reamer to make sure the holes maintain their tapered profile.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The condition of the existing tapered holes is very important if you want the pins to do there job. I would recommend also getting a tapered reamer to make sure the holes maintain their tapered profile.

Good advice and already done The pins came in todays mail and are already installed... I was prepared for the job, I already own the reamer Ive installed and replaced FSB's before but this is the first time I ever needed to use over sized pins...  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:01:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Are you sure they are taper pins and not dowel pins ?

(just to be sure before you order the wrong type that either doesn't fit or fits way too loose)

They are definitly taper pins...And they were already ordered, received and installed...
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#14]
The standard taper pins are 2/0 IIRC. Did the pins you ordered fit corrctly? Any problems? Take care. Charles.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The standard taper pins are 2/0 IIRC. Did the pins you ordered fit corrctly? Any problems? Take care. Charles.  

The pins that Midway sent me were definitly over sized... I had to ream the holes to get the correct fit... The pins pressed in real nice and tight and the rifle zeroed in at 2-clicks of center ... It went smooth and was an easy repair...
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:31:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top