Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/8/2023 8:36:36 AM EDT
There was a guy shooting close to me on the range yesterday. Had an issue with his AR and I stopped and helped him. He had a case separation and I got a cleaning rod, put a brush on it and he got the case out.

I started looking at his cases and in about a dozen cases found 5 pierced primers, one primer blown out, several severely flattened primers and several that were pushed about half way out. He had fired this ammo out of 2 different rifles.

The range officers on the range looked things over and suggested to him to stop using that ammo and contact the manufacturer.

Just a heads up.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Some things never change.  I swore that brand off years ago, due to the same issues.  I thought they had changed ownership and were getting it right finally with their new ammo, my crap 5.56 from them was “remanufactured”.
That taught me nobody’s reloads but mine, ever again.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Been hearing about their "quality" products for a long time.  Almost bought some once, good thing I didn't.  I'll stick to shooting my reloads.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#3]
This post could be at least 10 years old if you know what I mean. I can’t believe Freedom is still making ammo and just selling components.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Probably the gun, not the ammo.

I can't believe that there is anybody left that hasn't heard of FM fuckery.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like we still hate FM.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Friends don't let friends shoot FM.
Friends give their enemies as much FM as possible.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#7]
After 5-10 years of putting out crap ammo, why would anyone even buy it?
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought some 9mm 8 years ago and didn’t open it until last year. I had something I had never seen before, one round had gone off in the box and blew a hole through the side. I shot the rest and had about 2% malfunction rate.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought some 9mm 8 years ago and didn't open it until last year. I had something I had never seen before, one round had gone off in the box and blew a hole through the side. I shot the rest and had about 2% malfunction rate.
View Quote
That surprises me not at all.  My first and last experience with FM ammo, years ago, involved two squib loads of 147 gr. 9mm.

One of them I didn't notice in time - I kept the Glock barrel with the bulge in it to remind me to never, ever again cheap out on ammo.

Like others in this thread, I can't believe that they're still in business.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Have some primer issues with the 9mm too.

Mostly fail to fire in my Caniks. Caniks eat everything else.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
After 5-10 years of putting out crap ammo, why would anyone even buy it?
View Quote

google review responses.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Guntubers shilled this junk hard for a hot minute. And not one apologized for it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Neighbor who’s new to shooting swears by this stuff. He and is other buddy buy FM in bulk all the time.

Tired telling him to avoid it but he wouldn’t listen. I swear just about every other week he’s bringing one of his Sigs or Glocks down because he had “issues” at the range. The last one took me forever to bang the bullet out of the barrel with a dowel rod.

Always blames the guns and not the ammo. Someday maybe he will learn.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#15]
YIKES!!  That is frightening.  I'm glad he and his guns survived that ammo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I still have thousands of rounds sitting on my shelf but after all the stories I hesitate to shoot it. I figure it’ll be my barter ammo when the SHTF

I have shot probably 2000 rounds total years back with no notable issues but I wouldn’t buy anymore.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I bought some 9mm 8 years ago and didn’t open it until last year. I had something I had never seen before, one round had gone off in the box and blew a hole through the side. I shot the rest and had about 2% malfunction rate.
View Quote

Oh ya, ammo just goes off by itself in the box.

Please, PLEASE, stop with the fantasy embellishments.

Tens of millions of rounds of centerfire ammunition is shipped by common carriers all around the country, packed loose in plastic bags, in ammo cans and carboard boxes......and it doesn't ever go off......but you just happened to get/have the one that went off in the box.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I still have thousands of rounds sitting on my shelf but after all the stories I hesitate to shoot it. I figure it’ll be my barter ammo when the SHTF

I have shot probably 2000 rounds total years back with no notable issues but I wouldn’t buy anymore.
View Quote

In the same boat. I have an ammo can full with FM on stripper clips. It is trading ammo, not training ammo.

Have a case each of a single lot of each caliber in 9mm and .380 and will shoot that and not buy more. We had a Freedom Munitions storefront in my town and they gave ridiculous deals to members of my department when we provided security at the store.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I was not aware of their reputation when I shot their ammo a while back, but needless to say, it my gun blew up. RIP to a nearly brand-new JP barrel
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I too got stung by Freedom Munitions a while back. 556 (coulda been 223, don't remember now as its been awhile) that was wildly inaccurate and had a ton of misfires. I burnt through the case and never looked back. I had a similar misfortune with some 2A Armament ammo not long ago as well. Stuff wouldnt group for shit in a known accurate rifle and when shooting back to back with Federal and PMC, it was painfully obvious the 2A stuff was loaded very, very weak. No more off brand budget ammo for this guy.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I too got stung by Freedom Munitions a while back. 556 (coulda been 223, don't remember now as its been awhile) that was wildly inaccurate and had a ton of misfires. I burnt through the case and never looked back. I had a similar misfortune with some 2A Armament ammo not long ago as well. Stuff wouldnt group for shit in a known accurate rifle and when shooting back to back with Federal and PMC, it was painfully obvious the 2A stuff was loaded very, very weak. No more off brand budget ammo for this guy.
View Quote

2A Armament Doesn't make ammunition.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#22]
The Hesse of ammunition makers.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Well I guess I'll be the next product tester ...
Twice a year we go prairie dawg shooting in NM. I shoot hundreds of .223 pointed soft point rounds. I found Freedom Munitions and figured I'd try them out on my next shooting trip the end of Sept.
I bought 650 rds. at a good savings over my normal ammo cost.  I sighted in my AR/scope at the gun range to see how well the ammo grouped at 100yds.  I've shot 50 rounds with no issues & mostly less than  1 1/2"  3-shot groups. I expect over our 3 day shoot I'll go thru most (if not all) this ammo so I'll have a proven report to share here.
 Wish me luck
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well I guess I'll be the next product tester ...
Twice a year we go prairie dawg shooting in NM. I shoot hundreds of .223 pointed soft point rounds. I found Freedom Munitions and figured I'd try them out on my next shooting trip the end of Sept.
I bought 650 rds. at a good savings over my normal ammo cost.  I sighted in my AR/scope at the gun range to see how well the ammo grouped at 100yds.  I've shot 50 rounds with no issues & mostly less than  1 1/2"  3-shot groups. I expect over our 3 day shoot I'll go thru most (if not all) this ammo so I'll have a proven report to share here.
 Wish me luck
View Quote

Tagged to see if you survive.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 12:49:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks, I have faith that all will be good (except for the 'dawgs').
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#26]
I did run in to the guy at the range a few days ago. He talked to FM and they wanted the ammo back and were going to replace with a different lot number. He hasn’t shot any of it yet and said he may just use it for trade material.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I can hardly wait untill it's Dawg control trip time , end of Sept. so far away !!

Link Posted: 8/6/2023 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Tens of millions of rounds of centerfire ammunition is shipped by common carriers all around the country, packed loose in plastic bags, in ammo cans and carboard boxes......and it doesn't ever go off......but you just happened to get/have the one that went off in the box.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen this happen when I worked for a gun store that also sold online. 500 rounds of loose packed .45. Apparently one round managed to hit a primer of another setting it off, that one (I presume the brass, not the bullet) hit the primer of another round setting it off. It was returned to the store and when we opened the case we found those two fired rounds and a small dent in the side of the case of a third round.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Freedom Munitions has a long track record of crappy ammo.

I had some .308 that was loaded too hot many years ago. Never again.

Link Posted: 8/25/2023 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#30]
This was years ago, so if they have gone through any sort of ownership change recently, this was probably under old ownership....

Took a FM gift cert off the prize table of a match, and ordered some 147gr 300blk.
On about the 3rd round, it KB'd the gun.

To their credit, they took the wrecked upper and the rest of the ammo back for examination, and made me whole on the gun (lower was cracked too, every major component destroyed)
I applaud them for supporting competitive shooting, at least at the time, and for handling the issue promptly and to my satisfaction.
Unfortunately any chance I would have had of buying any of their loaded ammo after that was eliminated.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Huh.  I didn't know to beware of them.  I've fired several boxes of their 300 blk 220, 9mm 115 gr and 9mm 124 gr over the past few years with no problems so far.  But I will be especially aware of what every shot sounds like while I'm using the rest of it.

Glad for the warning.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I’ve ran through 4k .223 reloads and 8k of reman 9mm
I’ve had malfunctions but nothing catastrophic. Guess I’ll check the pile of brass.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Some things never change.  I swore that brand off years ago, due to the same issues.  I thought they had changed ownership and were getting it right finally with their new ammo, my crap 5.56 from them was “remanufactured”.
That taught me nobody’s reloads but mine, ever again.
View Quote

First post nails it as usual.

Quit using their ammo years ago. Looks like nothing has changed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Crap...I've got 250rds of it in 300blk
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Update on the Freedom Munitions .223 PSP ammo I used on my Prairie Dawg trip.
I just got back... the weather (rain, wind & clouds) reduced our success but I had no issues with the ammo.
I use an AR15 rifle set up strickly for dawg'n. Went through just over 300 rounds this trip (usually shoot twice that in good weather). I'm happy with the ammo's performance
and will buy more of this ammo for the next trip.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow, it blows my mind to hear that you guys have been having trouble with their ammo relating to quality. For about two years, my family and my best friends family shot thousands and thousands of rounds of .300blk, 9mm, and 556 from them, both new and reman and I can’t think of a single ammo failure we ever had. I mean literally not one. This was like 2017-2019. I guess I just got lucky.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I shoot a lot of their ammo...9mm and .223 with no issues.  I only buy their new stuff, no remanufactured.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top