Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 4:55:33 AM EDT
I would not consider myself the awesome armorer or anything but, I do know I have a lot of M-4 time beind the trigger.  I was wondering about the general feeling towards actually spending the $$ for one of the KAC or ARMS free float rail systems vs using forearms with rails that you can just replace your standard forearms with.  Part of me says that free floating a barrel is good, but, the other half of me says, it's a CQB Rifle, it's not meant to drive tacks, it's meant for close up and decent accuracy.  Just wanted to get some other opinions.  I am sure their are many.  Thanks all.

Shawn
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I like the FF rail systems better. On a CQB weapon, the accuracy may not matter as much, but you may still be required to make shots out to 200 (+ or - a few).  Also, if you rest your forearm on anything when firing, the pressure will push on the barrel if it is not free float.
Besides, the quality railed forearms that are not FF are not really that much cheaper than those that are. YMMV but I'll take mine free float and chrome lined.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#2]
250 will get you a TROY system that is rock solid and won't force you to remove anything, except for dremeling off the delta ring assembly.

I replaced my KAC RAS's with TROY systems, and couldn't be happier.

Scott
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd go free float.  Bravo Company USA (board member) has YHM freefloat tubes for less than 100 bucks which looks like a steal, if price is an issue.  If price is not an issue, this still may be a good option, though there are obviously plenty of good options that cost more such as the Troy system mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Id go DD 7.0 for weight savings (less than the Colt M4 standard handguards) or the Larue unit for rigidity.  Either will cost less than the ARMS or KAC units and be more rigid and FF the barrel.  You dont need to for accuracy in CQB but there is no reason NOT to get them,  just in case.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:39:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I read everyone loud and clear.  Better to have and not need has always been a creedo of mine.  I am not a big fan of the ARMS SIR system but I do have a particular liking for the KAC RAS system.  I have looked at YHM, TDI, DD and a few others and their forearms seem to be of good quality.  Thanks to everyone.  

Shawn
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top