Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 6:29:18 AM EDT
What is the definition of a Frankengun?  We seem to use the term when someone puts together an AR with assorted pieces from different companies and the gun does not work.

Lets think for a second.

If John Noveske builds an AR with one of his barrels, Larue gas block and rail, CMT upper, Colt carrier assy, LMT lower and Vltor butstock it is a work of Art! (I agree)

But, why don't we call it a Frankengun?  Because it works?

What are your thoughts on this snowy sunday morning.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#1]
The frankenguns should work, Frankenstein did.

Almost all guns are Frankenguns if you think about it...  How many companies do you know make every single spring, detent, trigger, upper, lower, buttstock, etc...

This goes for al guns, not just AR's...

I think the real meaning of the term Frankengun is a firearm made in the basement with parts from different similar weapons, then brought to life with the power of ammuntion...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:37:56 AM EDT
[#2]
My definition would be a gun put together with parts from unknown sources, used parts, gun show parts, etc.

Those rifles/carbines that are put together for the lowest possible cost.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#3]
My M4gery is a frankengun.  The lower, lpk and stock assembly are from Stag.  The receiver is CMT.  The B/BC is RRA.  The bbl is DPMS.

I bought the complete upper half used, but in good shape.  It was broken-in, but not abused.

It runs regardless of what I feed it.  It shoots as accurately as I do, which isn't saying much.

Using cheap parts and assembling them wrong could be a recipe for disaster.  Using good parts, even though used, and putting them together like they are suppposed to be.....no big deal.

I think the term 'frankengun' is a perjorative used by some to demean others that didn't buy a brand-name rifle off the shelf or have a high-dollar/big-name smith do a custom job.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#4]
"It was already one in the morning; the rain pattered dismally against the panes... when by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the mismatched colors of the creature; it charged hard, and a convulsive motion agitated its bolt carrier. It's Alive!!!"

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The frankenguns should work, Frankenstein did.

Almost all guns are Frankenguns if you think about it...  How many companies do you know make every single spring, detent, trigger, upper, lower, buttstock, etc...

This goes for al guns, not just AR's...

I think the real meaning of the term Frankengun is a firearm made in the basement with parts from different similar weapons, then brought to life with the power of ammuntion...

"Oly is the only TRUE manufacturer"
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Built right and using excellent parts the franken gun will rival NIB factory rifles.My franken gun combo is a Bushy FK upper with a 1/7 M4 barrel also Bushy,Bushy lower,RRA lower parts,6 posistion telestock with 9mm buffer and bolt carrier,Colt bolt.Up here its till a ban this rifle started life as a 20" factory rifle and now its a carbine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think the difference between a frankengun and a custom build is the person who put it together.

Yep, to me a frankengun is one that pukes out and doesn't run reliably.  Technically, most of my ARs are frankenguns, but they work.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I think the term started with 1911s.  Home gunnies put many parts together in order to save big bucks at the custom shops.  Some are really good, some junk.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Frankengun:  Old parts from the cementary.

One with new clone parts of high quality straight from the vats are not frankenguns.

What about high quality old parts that come together beautifully and function (all the retros), unless you mean "crap pile" by graveyard and not just "old ass stuff"?  In that case I would totally agree.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I usually refer to my gun as a Hienz 57. it was okay when it started out and just got blended with other stuff...

bushie lower ace skeliton, dpms 1inch stock spacer, oly SUM upper, harris, plus more...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I've always thought of it as one put together by spare parts..

Like extra pieces that you've swapped out until you're to the point where you say "Dude i've got enough parts to build a new gun laying around." And then you just do
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Frankenguns would be ones that are built from used parts.
A custom rifle build is one that is comprised of "match grade" parts hand picked from different vendors
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I only scratch build my guns, ARs, AKs, FALs, so they are all "custom" or "Franken". Doesn't matter to me which term you use.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My definition would be a gun put together with parts from unknown sources, used parts, gun show parts, etc. bottom feeder parts....

Those rifles/carbines that are put together for the lowest possible cost.

That would be my definition as well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Franken guns are just that good or bad rifles that are pieced together from parts that come from a variety of sources.You can have all new quality parts and then put it together half ass so its garbage.So you can have a great franken gun if you know what your doing and use quality parts.Even factory rifles can be garbage without the franken gun term being used.Unless a company uses all in house parts all companies are assemblers.Some companies have used sub standard parts in assembly so you its possible to buy a factopry new franken gun.With the know how and hand picked quality parts home assembled ARs can be better than factory.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I usually refer to my gun as a Hienz 57. it was okay when it started out and just got blended with other stuff...

bushie lower ace skeliton, dpms 1inch stock spacer, oly SUM upper, harris, plus more...

called a Hieze 57 (owned by John Kerry's wife) with a bushie skeliton in the closet
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top