User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Forward Controls Design (Page 7 of 32)
Page / 32
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#1]
been waiting on an OD Green ACF for a long time. Hope to see them in stock soon.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:38:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#2]
The entire first production run is marked down and sold as blemished because of a very small unevenness under the T handle, it doesn't affect function.  This batch only has 400 units, and are almost entirely gone.  We're ramping up production so we don't have chronicle shortages as we do with bolt catches, it'll take couple of months.

ACF is a design I've had since I was at BAD, it deals with a very specific issue I wanted to address: when mortaring the gun.  When hands aren't enough, tools (heel of a boot, something heavy) get used next, it places the material around the roll pin on the latch and CH body under quite a bit of stress.  The roll pin can handle it, the aluminum around it, not so much.  

ACF doesn't use moving handles, but is very conventional in design and function with some useful changes.  The latch doesn't bottom out, it recesses into the handle.  When you mortar your AR, no stress is placed on the latch, and material around the roll pin since the latch goes into the T handle, the T handle gets hit instead but it's much beefier.

The gas blocking/deflecting fence is just something we added because it's a useful feature.  We don't bill the ACF as suppressor optimized or gas busting/redirecting, though it does do the job very well.

I don't like long handles, so ACF's handle is barely wider than that of the TDP CH, it's only slightly wider to protect the latches if the gun is dropped on its side.  It is much taller than the TDP CH, ACF has more surface area on the front strap because of we added height, not length, to the handles.

Attachment Attached File

The slight curved and serrated back strap isn't there for looks, its' for the thumb to rest on when you "pinch" the CH and pull it back.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#3]
So we are looking at a few months for the charging handles?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:15:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#4]
The next batch will not be blemished, it's probably 2 months away but in far larger numbers.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Duffy:
The next batch will not be blemished, it's probably 2 months away but in far larger numbers.
View Quote

noted, thank you. if you have any blemished still available in ODG, how do we get them? not seeing them anywhere on the site.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:26:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#6]
We will release what we have after dealers have had a chance to sell theirs.  We always send to dealers first so they get to sell them first.  On top of of not having sales (probably won't even have a Black Friday sale anymore) so we don't undercut them, it's one of our ways to support our dealers.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#7]
We will release what we have after dealers have had a chance to sell theirs.  We always send to dealers first so they get to sell them first.  On top of of not having sales (probably won't even have a Black Friday sale anymore) so we don't undercut them, it's one of our ways to support our dealers.
View Quote

Any way we could get a pic of them blem area so we know what to expect?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:34:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrHelper] [#8]
Good god, give the guy a break...  he busts his ass to keep shit in stock and we badger him with him veiled pleas to buy one off items and ask for pics that are inconsequential.  Now I know why some vendors don’t do the forum game, it’s a no win situation
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#9]
Haha it's no problem, it's part of my job.  Accessibility to me and my wife has always been an FCD thing.

This is ACF-Randy.  It's a long story, we designate seconds or blem units Randy.

There is a tiny bit of unevenness underneath the T handle, it's purely cosmetic, but these days we get complaints about "scratches" inside the dry film lubed RE interior, tool marks on the bolt catch, some folks equate inconsequential cosmetics with quality.  We don't design and make things for looks, our core audience is folks that use their firearms for defense and duty, they do not care about looks.

To wit, I don't like tool marks either, and we do our best to not have them.  People that complain about them never ask about how these products work, and how they're better in ergonomics, material, construction method, coating, and durability.  Only looks.  We have publicly stated from the very beginning we don't make jewelry or fashion, there are plenty of manufacturers that do nothing but looks.  We are not one of them.

Attachment Attached File

ACF-Randy has a red letter R written with a Sharpie at the tip of the body, it's invisible once installed.  We put it there to differentiate it from non-blemished units.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Haha it's no problem, it's part of my job.  Accessibility to me and my wife has always been an FCD thing.

This is ACF-Randy.  It's a long story, we designate seconds or blem units Randy.

ACF-Randy has a red letter R written with a Sharpie at the tip of the body, it's invisible once installed.  We put it there to differentiate it from non-blemished units.
View Quote

O man that looks bad I definitely don't want one ;-)
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#11]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/781/blem_acf_jpg-1971596.JPG

View Quote

I finally found out about the whole Randy thing the other day

At first I was

But after reading the entire thing, I was like what in world
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#13]
We have fun whenever we can find time
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Any hope of NP3 BCGs? After seeing Chad’s video on yours/Sionics’ I’m sold.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#15]
We should be able to get another small batch going.  SIONICS NP3 BCG might be easier to find, ours are almost identical save for some specific SBCG features.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey Roger, any chance you’ll offer the CSF in MC Tropic and Arid?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 12:21:33 AM EDT
[#17]
We can, if we can find the webbing, we'll start looking
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 12:48:40 AM EDT
[#18]
We can, if we can find the webbing, we'll start looking
View Quote

Awesome, you guys rock!
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#19]
How about building a t2 battery cap similar to the KAC (that’s disco:()
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Why not petition KAC to make them again?  I don't want to copy KAC, we're friends with them
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Why not petition KAC to make them again?  I don't want to copy KAC, we're friends with them
View Quote

Lol - I wish they would but like anything people seem to want shit the most after its not available.  Classic case of "No good deed goes unpunished"...  they had so many clowns complaining to them of defective product yet they didnt know it needed an extra battery in the cap.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one but don't carry an extra battery in mine, I like it because I'm a KAC fan, and it's easier to use than the flush Aimpoint cap that needs a tool/coin to unscrew
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 6:56:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Yumago] [#23]
@Duffy hopefully you know, but what suppressor height sights height goes well with the Acro with the adapter plate? I believe I have the GL-429 from Ameriglo. Would those work or should I switch them out?
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Suppressor height sights will work with the P1 and P2, it's a matter of how tall, or choice between lower 1/3 (many are happy with it) or absolute co-witnessing.

Hopefully the mods are ok with this link on our page, it's not a link to any product, but a page from our FAQ section MOS compatible backup sights
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 6:53:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 402joel] [#25]
I’m a fan,
I had ordered a fairly expensive part - which has been hard to find-which showed in stock on their website,
@duffy emailed me the next day on a Saturday and explained the website was wrong, and the part was not in stock
He even contacted another dealer to try and help
He refunded my purchase immediately
That’s good service

They’ll get more of my business
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Any update on a Xeno mount compatible flash hider being released?
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:45:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#27]
@Duffy

Hey Roger, just placed an order (FC-32085) and had a change of heart. I'd rather have the 50 deg over the 90 deg. Same short left, long right. I just got a shipped email, if not too much trouble to swap this for me I'd greatly appreciate it! I'll send an email as well.

Thanks brother!
Jim
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MackDaddy1962:
@Duffy

Hey Roger, just placed an order (FC-32085) and had a change of heart. I'd rather have the 50 deg over the 90 deg. Same short left, long right. I just got a shipped email, if not too much trouble to swap this for me I'd greatly appreciate it! I'll send an email as well.

Thanks brother!
Jim
View Quote

I pinged him your post with the direct link to his Facebook messenger.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Jonny1904:

I pinged him your post with the direct link to his Facebook messenger.
View Quote

Thanks bro. He's already responded via email!

Happy shooting
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Thank you guys, nice to see a duck network on arfcom

6315X (Xeno) will be worked on now that we're done with 1215KM and 1012KM.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey Roger. When will the dimpled abc/r forward bias and emr's be back in stock? Also your rhf4 and acf in fde, and of course your epc's. Any of your venders I should also keep a eye on?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:30:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#32]
EPCs will be ready to ship in September.  FB and RB bolt catches are in production, mag buttons will be back 2nd week of September

Working on FN 509 RMR plates, with P365X/XL already in production, and Staccato 2011 RMR plates going to production soon.  Our red dot sight mount will be in production by the end of 2021.  We've been busy

We don't intend to produce optics mounts for ARs or other platform, but this isn't a regular mount.  We prefer to carry and sell Reptilia red dot and magnified optics mounts, we can't do better than what Reptilia has done.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Was there talk of controls for the LMT lowers awhile ago, or am I going crazy? If so is there any update?
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#35]
It's going to prototype this month, we haven't come to market with them yet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#36]
It's going to prototype this month, we haven't come to market with them yet.
View Quote

Awesome can't wait.
Wasn't sure if I was misremembering or not. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Any updates on the LPD?
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#38]
EPCs will be ready to ship in September.  FB and RB bolt catches are in production, mag buttons will be back 2nd week of September

Working on FN 509 RMR plates, with P365X/XL already in production, and Staccato 2011 RMR plates going to production soon.  Our red dot sight mount will be in production by the end of 2021.  We've been busy

We don't intend to produce optics mounts for ARs or other platform, but this isn't a regular mount.  We prefer to carry and sell Reptilia red dot and magnified optics mounts, we can't do better than what Reptilia has done.
View Quote

Hell yea
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#39]
LPD will be shipping in a month
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#40]
LPD will be shipping in a month
View Quote

How about those 6315X’s?

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#41]
6315X (Xeno) is coming after a collaboration project with one of everyone's favorite companies
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:59:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HAMBURGERATTACK] [#42]
Broke down and bought a ACF from a scalper.

Extremely low profile - not even a chance of a snag...

The design seems to encourage a different style of grip than other charging handles ive tried.  The G/Radian requires a hooking motion - whereas the ACF promotes more of a pinch (with the angled levers and serrated thumb 'divot' in the back).

Coming from a Combat Latch PRI gasbuster with an NF 1-8x ATACR, it is more difficult to grab the smaller latch under the scope (similar to my experience with the Radian SD-SL) but easier to pull to the rear once the latch is found.  

The PRI has almost a wall you hit when charging that you have to pull past whereas the ACF just smoothly pulls to the rear.  I attribute this to the angled levers.

Gonna test out the suppressed gas situation this weekend.  The Radian SD/G ACH did nothing for me in that dept....PRI is king so far.  

One thing that totally surprised me was the color.  Whatever batch I got was almost a copper-colored FDE (like some of the modlight stuff) - very unique.    
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:16:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#43]
ACF's gas blocking feature is but one of the minor features which is no small thing for suppressor users, you'll be pleased

Its ergonomics are more important in development:

Small T handles encourage the user to pull the CH straight back, not at an angle

We don't like long latches, so we wanted the T handles to have more surface area than TDP spec CH.  ACF's T handles are taller but are only slightly longer than TDP (in order to protect the latches), the short T handles mitigate accidental unlatching, and won't poke you when you sling the rifle.

The latches fully recess into the T handle, when you mortar the gun, you're not stressing the material around the latch (solid) pins.

The T handle closely resembles that of the TDP CH, they don't have an aggressive forward cant.  When the user wants to release the handle, he doesn't have to quickly move his hand out of the way, the T handle's angle has a very minor back sweep to let the user release the ACF with ease.  

We're fond of saying how brilliant the original and 1980s A2 designs are.  A careful study of the CH convinces us of it even more, there are very good reasons ACF is based on TDP CHs, we do not like CHs with moving handles.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#44]
ACF's gas blocking feature is but one of the minor features which is no small thing for suppressor users, you'll be pleased

Small T handles encourage the user to pull the CH straight back, not at an angle

View Quote
This is my biggest frustration with the G Airborne. The shape and pivot of the latch puts a lot of lateral stress on the handle body and creates friction on the right side of the receiver (if pulling on the left handle). Its almost impossible to pull directly rearward without using both handles. I don't care about the wear but it makes expedient racking harder than it should be (think malfunction clearances).

One of these days I'll be on the laptop when Duck handles are in-stock. Famous last words
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#45]
I’ve seen several bent and one broken G charging handle.

They’re a joke.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:16:20 AM EDT
[#46]

We don't like long latches, so we wanted the T handles to have more surface area than TDP spec CH.  ACF's T handles are taller but are only slightly longer than TDP (in order to protect the latches), the short T handles mitigate accidental unlatching, and won't poke you when you sling the rifle.

The latches fully recess into the T handle, when you mortar the gun, you're not stressing the material around the latch (solid) pins.

The T handle closely resembles that of the TDP CH, they don't have an aggressive forward cant.  When the user wants to release the handle, he doesn't have to quickly move his hand out of the way, the T handle's angle has a very minor back sweep to let the user release the ACF with ease.  

We're fond of saying how brilliant the original and 1980s A2 designs are.  A careful study of the CH convinces us of it even more, there are very good reasons ACF is based on TDP CHs, we do not like CHs with moving handles.
View Quote

Any plans for an SR25 pattern ACF in the future?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:31:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#47]
The vulnerable parts of the CH is the latch, or latches on an ambi CH, it's their protection that we consider the most prominent feature, but I think users overlook it and put the gas blocking feature on the top of their favorite ACF feature.

ACF's T handle is barely larger than the TDP CH, just long enough on both sides to protect the latches if the rifle is dropped on its side.  When mortared, the latches recess into the T handle and the T handle bears the brunt of the force, not the stainless steel solid pin which is strong enough and therefore not a concern, the design protects the material surrounding the pin on the latches and CH body.

Most CH's latch will come to a hard stop, or bottom out, against the the CH's body, when the gun is mortared, the pin is no worse off as it's immensely strong, but the same can't be said of the material around the pin on the latch and CH body.  ACF's latches recess into the T handle which has a lot more material, it bears the brunt of the force.

ACF's latches are thin, being sandwiched between the T handle, it can't be easily unlatched.

We identified inherent shortcomings with moving handles design, these issues can't be addressed and thus are considered design flaws, and concluded the TDP design with fixed handle and small/thin latch is still the best, which is the reason ACF is based on it, with designs that improve on its best features.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 3:26:21 AM EDT
[#48]
My KAC SR15 clone that I built in .22lr loaded with fcd parts.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 5:27:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Any update on the BCG?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:54:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#50]
We continue to tackle the BCG issue.  Relying on others to source them has always been a problem, we have a much better solution, soon
Page / 32
Forward Controls Design (Page 7 of 32)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top