Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2003 5:22:19 PM EDT
Hey All,

I just received a new upper with an Oly FIRSH and realized that my AAC foregrip won't work on it because the rails on the FIRSH don't go all the way across.  The AAC foregrip works like the KAC in that it has a bottom that screws into the grip and raises a tab that holds it on the rail that you select.

Any ideas here?  Are there any other foregrips that will work with this type of rail but are NOT overly expensive?

Thanks!

Drivie
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not familiar with the grip you have. So you are saying that the screw is bottoming out before causing the handle to become affixed because the center of the rail is milled out?

The quickest fix that I would try would be to find something that you could cut to fit in the space and act as a shim between the FIRSH and the screw of the foregrip to allow enough tension to lock the grip in place.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Dieter forward grip is good for the Firsh, it locks into the rail via allen screws cross bars.  

You can also find cheap KAC imitations with the cross bar lock.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#3]
KAC pannels will fit your FIRSH. You have to play with them a bit. I actually took the lock out and bent them a little. Take a look...

[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0TQAFGQUWikjqL!HZE4xdU!8qQiSIVRf9n11A8zk9kZAQF7dWCGoNSKghsRS*HHhHsxkQMb2WNldXvwDaJagoJAgiMBswx4hgTx5hs9wcw0hWba31Ewq2xg/Finished-AR1-015.jpg?dc=4675419207762147114[/img]
[img] http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0RAAAAIATpIpPpMXj7jWBwCaO279RLpqUFuiT5EZjEAUfWbarcYwejroV86534YKOB!XC08U6K4aM90l9!Q3I7IHJAHj*d0FpN32Ke0VfIFM/Range-018.jpg?dc=4675418926521696297[/img]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#4]
start at the front and slide it on there...   tighten where ya want it.

[IMG]http://geocities.com/jordan.gackowski/images/oly-pcr16-2.jpg[/IMG]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:06:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am not familiar with the grip you have. So you are saying that the screw is bottoming out before causing the handle to become affixed because the center of the rail is milled out?

The quickest fix that I would try would be to find something that you could cut to fit in the space and act as a shim between the FIRSH and the screw of the foregrip to allow enough tension to lock the grip in place.
View Quote

This is exactly the issue I'm having.  The FIRSH rails are milled out in the center unlike normal rails like you would find atop the receiver.  The tab at the top of the screw-in portion of the foregrip doesn't tighten onto the rail so I have to find another solution.

Thanks for the advice.

Drivie
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:46:08 AM EDT
[#6]
i own 3 firshs and all of them i use the dpms grip and it works great
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#7]
He's talking vertical foregrip, not panels.  The way the KAC and some copies attach is as follows:  They slide onto the rail, then you tighten a screw at the bottom, which raises a post vertically up throgh the midline of the grip.  this is designed to fit snugly into the cutout of the rail.  However, if the rail is relieved down the centerline of the rail, there is nothing for the post to engage that would stop the grip from sliding along the rail.  The solution is to put a cross bolt on.  If I am not mistaken, your grip has witness holes through which you can line the post up with the cut?  You will need to get a squared off cross bolt with a nut on both ends, or a nut on one end and some type of stop on the other.  Line up the grip, don't screw the post uo, instead put the cross bolt through and secure it with the nuts.  

Or, Falcon industries makes an inexpensive one that works.  Cav Arms also has the same ones, not sure if they make them for Falcon.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Okay, so now you have me worried. I just order an AAC foregrip to use with an First/Samco M44 handguard.

This is similar to the FIRSH in that the ribs don't go all the way accross (more like nubs).

But the FIRSH is different in that the center of the rail is milled down farther, the M44 is flat accross.

Like this.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/048689.JPG[/img]

Will the AAC or Knights work with the M44
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Nope.  Not without a cross bolt.  Friction alone of the post will hold it somewhat firmly if you really torque it, but if you grasp the grip with your left hand and pull the charging handle with your right (not everyone does it that way) the grip will slide forward.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Glockshooter,

Do you have a link to some pictures of this crossbolt you're talking about??

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies guys.  This is exactly the issue I'm experiencing.  The image of the FIRSH and standard rails are exactly the issue.  I'll try to find a crossbolt or I'll try to find the Falcon Industries grip you speak of.  If you have a chance to post a link, that would be great!

Thank you!

Drivie
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I was going to ask if the First Samco foregrip would work, I don't know. I have the KAC foregrip on my RAS II, and I also have one of those First Samco four rail handguards with their foregrip on it. I really like the feel of the First Samco foregrip and tried to put it on my RAS II. It is possible, but I ended up removing it with a mallet.
I just E-Mailed Kurt at KKF and asked him to put a FIRSH on an upper he has been working on for me. So, maybe I can use the First Samco foregrip with it ?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top