Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 4:10:51 PM EDT
Why are these not more common?

Are they generally considered to be not needed? Too fragile? Because the military does not have an approved version?

Some are being used, like on the West Coast (?) USMC SAM, and in even smaller numbers by Spec Ops units who are not regularly photographed. In fact our own KevinB has posted photos of himself with an operational-looking rifle equipped with a KAC folding front sight/gas block.

The Colt ACR of the 1980's had a folding front sight from the start...because it was the first M-16 to have a flat top, and they considered it to be primarily an optics weapon; the irons were considered to be secondary only.

But when the military adopted the flat-top upper, they did not at the same time include a folding front sight...if they had, would we also be using them? Why did they not adopt one? Oversight? Because there was not a suitable one out there? The ACR one was available...

Now, with the advent of advanced free-float handguards, is it a mistake to NOT have a folding front sight also? You are adding a major upgrade to the rifle as is; why not go further and get the tower out of your line of sight? With a magnifying optic it casts a ghost shadow and is no big deal, but if using an Aimpoint or Eotech, the tower obscures a large part of your viewing area.

But the SEALS did not ask for such a thing in their Recce specs. They can have anything they want; did they also overlook the benefits of a folding front sight, or did they have a reason not to want one?

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Two versions have made it on military weapons:

1.  The untouchable KAC, which is mounted with taper pins.

2.  The setscrew mounted PRI, mounted to flats on the barrel.

Anything with less moving parts is likely to be more reliable in the long run.  If your life is on the line, ultrareliability comes into play.  The standard FSB is hard to beat for back up iron sights.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I am sold on the long rail/flip sights concept.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

But we have been hearing reports that users are finding optics to be non-viable on ff handguards. I would assume that this would extend to iron sights as well.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the standard FSB on carbines and assault rifles because they are more robust and quicker to use.

On my carbines I like the fixed FSB and fixed rear BUIS because in shorter ranges requires quicker use of the BUIS when the situation requires it.

I would use the flip up folding sights on SPRs that's on the FSB but I don't trust it on rails yet.

Maybe I'll change my mind in the future after I have more experience with the rail mounted type.

Just my opinion, YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:00:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But we have been hearing reports that users are finding optics to be non-viable on ff handguards. I would assume that this would extend to iron sights as well.

It's a back up. Assuming I broke my optic AND rail I still only have to shoot under 100m with it anyway.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:53:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Some of the high-end guys & trainers are going to flip front & rears.  For items such as the MRP, this is SOP.  With the quality of optics in theatre (e.g., Aimpoint & ACOG), the chances of actually having to ditch the optic for the BUIS is becoming quite low.

This was discussed at Pat Roger's Carbine Operator's Course 3 months ago.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:33:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Some of the high-end guys & trainers are going to flip front & rears.  For items such as the MRP, this is SOP.  With the quality of optics in theatre (e.g., Aimpoint & ACOG), the chances of actually having to ditch the optic for the BUIS is becoming quite low.

This was discussed at Pat Roger's Carbine Operator's Course 3 months ago.

Yes, sir, I remember that.  Pat actually prefers flip rears, which surprised me.  I still use fixed LMT and LaRue BUIS on my "battle" carbines, though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#8]
if your aimpoint fails at close range.. use it as a ghost ring.. you'll be more accurate than you think... the fixed rear BUIS get the in the way and slows down most people..
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:08:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm putting a PRI flip front sight on my 6.8 upper because I plan on using a mildly magnified piece of glass (1.5-4x) and the FSB shows up a little on lower powers.  Since it's intended for hunting hogs, I wanted to use my optics primarily, and only use the front and rear BUIS's if I absolutely had to.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:17:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#11]
i too have never had any problems with the fixed front sight "getting in the way" i acutally preferred them with my aimpoints.

with folding front sights i like the pri.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:42:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Lots of people try to line the dot up with the front sight... yeah, I know.  That said, you aren't going to be needing the front sight most of time, so its better to flip it down where you don't have it cluttering up your vision.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
if your aimpoint fails at close range.. use it as a ghost ring.. you'll be more accurate than you think... the fixed BUIS get the in the way and slow down most people..

I have used an aimpoint as a ghost ring, however I do not understand how fixed sights would slow someone down. I have a fixed rear and front sight on the carbine that I have an aimpoint on. When using the aimpoint I don't even notice them if I am shooting quickly.

oh... i was talking about REAR buis... refearing to the guy above me posting about how pat rogers prefers the foldable buis in the rear... i'll edit my above post
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who have you been hearing this from?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who have you been hearing this from?

Ask Mongo

he started it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top