Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 8:26:58 PM EDT
Look guys, no caps.............lol

I'm trying to complete my project.  ? Never seems like it will ever be done.  I wonder why that is?

Have any of you had any experience with the fobus handguards?  What did you think?  I'm trying to find an inexpensive solution to the handguard issue that I am having with my dissipator upper.  I'm looking forward to your experienced advice.  Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It has rails.  It is plastic.  It works, but it is inherently weaker than metal handgaurd.  It is, in my opinion only,  cheesy.  A better value would be a rifle length YHM two piece railed handgaurd.  It goes on the same, works the same, but will more than likely outlast the Fobus unit and probably locks up a lot tighter.  It shoould only cost about $50 more than the Fobus M44 as well.  For a littel extra money, it is far better to save up for the YHM than to get the M44s.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I second the YHM two-piece suggestion. The Fobus stuff is cheesy and junky.

I might even go one step further to suggest that by the time you have rail covers on your YHM, you'll have spent about as much as a Surefire handguard, which includes rail covers. Past that, it's diminishing returns, I think.

YHM is definitely 2x better than Fobus.. Surefire maybe 3x.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a Fobus M44 and it's fine. It looks pretty good with Knights rail covers (I think).

I haven't found the need to replace it yet and it works for what I use it for.

I have the gov profile barrel and don't want to add anymore weight to the end of my rifle by putting on some aluminum hanguards.

Don't get the M44s if you want to put optics on your handguard.
Don't get the M44s if you want to add an extra pound to your barrel.
Don't get the M44s if you are a SF or SEAL.
Don't get the M44s if you have full auto.

My M44s are very tight.  Shop around and get the best price don't pay retail for them.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#4]
M44s are probably the lightest of the 'drop in'  rail systems for full length barrels.  They are fairly tough - despite being plastic (they are thick).  Much stronger than the standard handguards.

They will hold plastic rail covers in place (to change the color of your rifle) and they work well if all you need to do is add a light.

If you're paying full price then YHMs are a better deal for sure.  If you can find a set on the EE for $50 or so they are worth it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Question: Do the YHM and surefire even come in rifle length?

We are talking about a dissipator upper correct?

If I had the money I would consider no other than the DD 12.0, but for $300 my m44s will hold out a little longer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Question: Do the YHM and surefire even come in rifle length?

YMH does - but only a few dealers have them (they are VERY new).  There is at least 1 dealer on this board who sells them.  Pictures of them installed on rifles have shown up in the General AR discussion area.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone know if the Surefire comes in full length?  I have a dissipator upper.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Ridge Member,

How do they hold up to the use of a vertical grip.  Do you feel any flex?  I didn't know these where plastic, their discriptions doesn't fully disclose this.  I had an idea, they are made by Fobus.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a carbine length one and I kind of like it. It serves it's purpose and as long as you follow the guidelines set by Ridge you won't be dissapointed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How do they hold up to the use of a vertical grip.

They hold up fine, you don't feel any flex.

However while you don't feel it - they are in so tight - and they are 'angled' (i.e. each panels covers 1 side and either the top of bottom).  Such that pressure on the foward grip does effect point of aim (at least for A2 and LW barrels).  Such problems were not seen with the M33 grips.

The deflection isn't a problem for CQB shooting at COM - but you won't be able to get the maximum capabilities with your rifle if you use a foward grip with your M44s.  I found removing the foward grip from the M44 resulted in more consistant and smaller groups.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How do they hold up to the use of a vertical grip.

They hold up fine, you don't feel any flex.

However while you don't feel it - they are in so tight - and they are 'angled' (i.e. each panels covers 1 side and either the top of bottom).  Such that pressure on the foward grip does effect point of aim (at least for A2 and LW barrels).  Such problems were not seen with the M33 grips.

The deflection isn't a problem for CQB shooting at COM - but you won't be able to get the maximum capabilities with your rifle if you use a foward grip with your M44s.  I found removing the foward grip from the M44 resulted in more consistant and smaller groups.

Ya, what Forest said.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I had this question myself.

someone has to address this ignoramus:

The Fobus stuff is cheesy and junky.

first samco gear has been battle-tested by more soldiers in more battles over more years and in more environments than ANY OTHER MANUFACTURER of handguard accesories, save KAC and ARMS (maybe).  And in terms of Fobus gear - I think the words "universal acceptance and use" come to mind.

The M33's and M44's are designed as handguard replacements that happen to have the added benifit of rails, not laser-etched mil-spec m1913 rails, or complex mounting platforms for gizmos - rather, they hold what they were designed to hold, lights and grips and bipods, and they hold it well.  They also do so with the simplest installation possible and with negligible retraining on the part of the user.

The yhms are nice, held them, seen them - no doubt a good mid-ranged choice - definitely worth the extra money.  But then again, the M44's are worth their price too.

But IMO, save up for the surefires.  Had them on a 223, now I also put them on a 9mm.  UNREAL precision pieces of art.  greatest ladder rail covers my hands have grasped.  You can mount ANYTHING on them.

Note that I also just bought M44's rifle length for an SP1 of mine.  I did so cause I got a ridiculous offer and am low on cash.  these low cost add-ons also have a pretty good resale value and usually sell quick, btw.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I've used  the The M33's and M44's are designed as handguard,just before purchased the YHM  handguard.

The Samco handguards are ok,but not stable  enough to mount a optic,YHM you can mount optics & keep zero.

TG
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you all for your opinions.  I am currently getting the YHM ff tube put on while CMMG is threading the barrel.  They are doing all the work and some other extras.  I'm looking forward to getting that one back in operation.

Thanks for all the input, it did help me make up my mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top