Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2003 4:05:13 AM EDT
I have had my AR about 2 months. While playing with my toy at the range on my own, I wondered what it would go like without the flash hider?
Surely the "frilly bit" on the end of the barrel could'nt be doing that much?  I took it off, and how wrong I was!  

I am hoping to capture "playtime" and post them somewhere for you to share.

I still have a smile from ear to ear.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:15:23 AM EDT
[#1]
It's great to see that you are having so much fun with your new rifle [:)]

Are spare parts readily available in the UK?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi. Apparently there in more than one agent in the UK, but I still waited months for my custom built.
The gun smith apologised on a weekly basis. If the delay wasn't the supplier sending the wrong parts, it was the customs.
Oh and I forgot to mention that everything when it finally arivved had to go the British proof house for their testing and seal of approval!
Mine came with the wrong upper.  I have ordered the correct one, and when it arrives it will be swopped. I however, will not be allowed to posses the old one, and the smith gets to keep it. That's the law! (bollocks?)

When i read the posts here, I am enviouse that you are allowed to accumulate "bits" and build to posse more than one rifle of the same calibre. For shooters and enthusiasts in the UK, nothing is simple, easy, or fair.

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have had my AR about 2 months. While playing with my toy at the range on my own, I wondered what it would go like without the flash hider?
Surely the "frilly bit" on the end of the barrel could'nt be doing that much?  I took it off, and how wrong I was!  

View Quote

Just curious, what does one have to do to legally own an AR15 in the UK? My wife is British and wants to move back to be closer to her family some day, but I dread the Idea of giving up all my AR15s. Can anyone get one, with the right applications and documentation? I heard firearms were hard to own in general in the UK.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hi. Apparently there in more than one agent in the UK, but I still waited months for my custom built.
The gun smith apologised on a weekly basis. If the delay wasn't the supplier sending the wrong parts, it was the customs.
Oh and I forgot to mention that everything when it finally arivved had to go the British proof house for their testing and seal of approval!
Mine came with the wrong upper.  I have ordered the correct one, and when it arrives it will be swopped. I however, will not be allowed to posses the old one, and the smith gets to keep it. That's the law! (bollocks?)

When i read the posts here, I am enviouse that you are allowed to accumulate "bits" and build to posse more than one rifle of the same calibre. For shooters and enthusiasts in the UK, nothing is simple, easy, or fair.
View Quote

If you had a friend in the States who was willing to send you parts could that be done legally, or would it become a customs and logistical nightmare?

I'm just trying to think of a way to make gettings parts easier for you. If you needed a scope or something it might be cheaper to buy it here and ship it to you, rather than be at the mercy of a limited supply chain on your side of the pond.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Just curious, what does one have to do to legally own an AR15 in the UK? My wife is British and wants to move back to be closer to her family some day, but I dread the Idea of giving up all my AR15s. Can anyone get one, with the right applications and documentation? I heard firearms were hard to own in general in the UK.
View Quote

There are no "self loading" or gas powered centre fire in the UK. single shot Ar's with high capacity mags and telescopic stocks etc etc are no problem at all. All the awb things in the USA that are banned are available in the UK with the exception of the gas system.

To own a firearm in the UK the law requires that you provide good reason.  This is generally membership of a gun club. Good reason here would be refused if you stated self defense.  Sad isn't it?

Gun clubs thrive here in the UK, but they are a very small version of what you are used to in the USA.

Hope this helps

regards
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

If you had a friend in the States who was willing to send you parts could that be done legally, or would it become a customs and logistical nightmare?

I'm just trying to think of a way to make gettings parts easier for you. If you needed a scope or something it might be cheaper to buy it here and ship it to you, rather than be at the mercy of a limited supply chain on your side of the pond.
View Quote

It would be great if I had a friend that could send me bits legally, but I think that the idea is a non starter. Obviousley there must be bits that are not classed a gun parts under UK law eg. Cherokee cheek piece for the tele stock?, but after that I am at a loss to say what is classed as a gun part and what is not!  I always have to check with my local gun dealer as to what I can and cannot have without authority from the police.

The idea of friends that could supply you with things is a good one, and something that i would like to look into. The trouble is that the traffic would be all one way! Well... unless you had a thing about chocolate or books or something. (big smile)

The thought was very much appreciated.

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You guys can't be serious!

First, you can't get a real AR in the UK; they can't be semi-auto, so they're made with no gas system, so you have to cycle them by hand.  And, I'm sure bbutter can share with you the process and money to get a gun there.  For those of you who think the NFA process is expensive and complicated here, you have no idea...

And, CJan_NH, imagine the reaction of OUR government if they found you receiving a package from out of the country that contained 10 pounds of C4, a Kilo of cocaine, a copy of the Koran, airline schedules, and a map of Washington DC.  That's roughly the reaction bbutter would get if his government found out you sent him a set of plastic AR handguards without going through a licensed importer and all of the red tape.

The rest of the world is NOT like the US.  There are international "small-arms" treaties that control shipment of everything gun-related, including things like iron sights and mag floorplates.  And the UK is NOT what you'd call "understanding" about people who don't follow their rules.

Remember, this is a country where violent self-defense is essentially illegal, and where they're trying to ban everything that LOOKS like a gun.

-Troy
View Quote

You are absolutely on the money my friend. I would not ask, or expect somebody to break anybodys law, even if I disagree with it.

I recently bought a scope, colt ar copy off ebay.
It arrived within a few days from the USA and I was knocked out with the service.  I mentioned the item to my local gunsmith (a good guy) and he was suprised that it had made such an easy journey through customs.
When i asked why he was so suprised, he said that there was some kind of "unofficial" block against sighting equipment for arms being shipped outside the USA. I have no reason to doubt the man?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I've never heard of a block for exporting sighting equipment.

So to explore this further; no gas system, does that mean a semi auto that used a mechanism other than gas is legal, or are semi-autos banned altogether in the U.K.?

Also, say I wanted to collect historic bolt action rifles such as a Lee-Enfield SMLE or Mauser KAR 98K, and shoot them at licensed ranges, is that permissible? Is there any any leeway for historic firearms such as these (we call them curios and relics here)that are non semi-auto, but have magazines of 5 or 10 rounds?

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:50:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've never heard of a block for exporting sighting equipment.

So to explore this further; no gas system, does that mean a semi auto that used a mechanism other than gas is legal, or are semi-autos banned altogether in the U.K.?

Also, say I wanted to collect historic bolt action rifles such as a Lee-Enfield SMLE or Mauser KAR 98K, and shoot them at licensed ranges, is that permissible? Is there any any leeway for historic firearms such as these (we call them curios and relics here)that are non semi-auto, but have magazines of 5 or 10 rounds?

View Quote
There are no semi auto centre fire rifles allowed in the UK regardless of mode of operation. We we only have semi auto rimfire. No limits on mag capacities.

As far as I am aware you would have no problem owing and shooting the rifles mention with the the correct authority. I am pretty certain that there are major competitions shot in the UK with the classes of rifle you mention.

Laws in this country are strange. Antique firearms are I think exempt from license, but you cannot shoot them!

I have a copy of the UK home office firearms act in PDF but cannot find it.  If I find the link where I downloaded from, I will post it here. You may find it of interest.

regards  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top