Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 8:47:33 AM EDT
I currently have an Olymipic Arms 16" barrel with a muzzle brake that attaches with set screws.  The brake is not very indoor range friendly so I took it off.  The end of the barrel is pretty ugly.  It has a groove turned into it to accept the set screws.  I'm looking for a flash hider that would mount the same way but can't seem to find one.  Any idea where I could get one?

If they don't exist do you think it would be possible to thread my barrel or would the groove make that impossible?  How much thread is there on a normal threaded barrel?  Right now the groove is probably 1/8" wide and probably 1/8" away from the barrel end.  I'm thinking that if a normal barrel is threaded for 1/2" I may be able to thread it right accross the groove.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Turn your barrel diameter down to .500" for approximately .610" from the end of the muzzle and thread it 1/2"-28 to accept a standard FH like an A2 for example. You'll never know that the groove was there!

I did this to the barrel of my MT6400C which had two grooves for its compensator pins. Worked just fine.

HTH
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I doubt anyone makes one right now due to the AWB.  But after the ban who knows it's possible someone will come out with one for those who do not want to send their barrel out to be threaded.  As far as having it threaded when the AWB expires this month you can send it to www.adcofirearms.com and have it threaded.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the same rifle.  Here is my plan... I have a mill but not a lathe.

I am going to buy a long slip over flash suppressor... the kind that looks just like the long 5 1/2 flash suppressor on 11.5" commando carbines used to bring the barrel OAL to 16".  The I am going to bore it from the breech end to remove the internal threads.  I will then drill it so that I can pin it in place.

It may sound goofy, but I kind of want a rifle with the commando look w/o sacrificing barrel length.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the great info guys.  It's not exactly what I wanted to hear because I was hoping there was something I could do myself.  I'll probably end up waiting to see if new products come out or I'll wait until it annoys me enough to buy a new barrel (and maybe a flattop upper ).
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#5]

jmazz3, this is your lucky day!

Brownells has what you want.

It is called a C-5 adapter and lists for $7.01 ($5.35 if you have trade discounts with them).

It attaches to the muzzle with set screws and has a 1/2-28 thread for installation of any FS you choose.

Find it HERE at BROWNELLS

HTH
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#6]
MAN, thats pretty neat if I do say so myself.

My postban has a 4-set screw brake on it, but it woudl be nice to be able to use that and thread a FH on it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, thank you Gaijin.  That will probably suit my needs perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#8]

I just checked Brownells and they are out of stock.

Now 'fess up - how many did you all buy?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:02:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, they were out of stock by the time I got there.  Hopefully they'll have more soon.  I also sent an email to Olympic Arms to see if they have any plans to make a flash hider to fit their barrel.  The muzzle brake I have is still available from their web site.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
jmazz3, this is your lucky day!

Brownells has what you want.

It is called a C-5 adapter and lists for $7.01 ($5.35 if you have trade discounts with them).

It attaches to the muzzle with set screws and has a 1/2-28 thread for installation of any FS you choose.

Find it HERE at BROWNELLS

HTH

That's a great idea.  The problem is my barrel has a .731" ID instead of the .708".

Any idea if they make one for a .731 ID?

Thanks,
556man
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:58:22 AM EDT
[#11]
These guys also carry that adapterdynasystems-ltd.com. They also have some do it yourself threading kits. I have the same oly barrel myself but I'm waitng to see what comes out in the next few months. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:19:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Any idea if they make one for a .731 ID?

Thanks,
556man

Sorry, I don't know of any.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top