Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 11:57:38 AM EDT
How exactly does a flash hider work?

Which is the most effective from the "shooters" standpoint?     That is the whole  point...correct?

Which FH design has the best barrel compensator affect? (minimize muzzle rise...barrel brake??)

What are the actual dimensions of the commercialy available Flash hiders?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#1]
From Forest; Muzzle Devices
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]
After doing some studying on this subject, I have found that the word "flash hider" is not accurate.   A "Flash Suppresor" is not necessarily designed to "hide" the muzzle flash or flame, rather that it splits it up in a way that doesnt hinder your vision for snipers during night shooting.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.  I just think that everyone thinks of these things as "eliminating" all flash from shooting a gun, and that is not true at all.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Um, jivana--- go shoot a rifle with a vortex on it and then re-write your statement  I was also skeptical until  i did my own test one evening at my parents house.  I took both my rifles out and useing xm193 shot two rounds though both in pitch darkness with no FH on eather of them. I was blinded by the fireball for a few minutes. i then installed my FHs, one a Phantom and the other a Vortex. I then shot the phantom 2 rounds and the it nearly eliminated all the flash. there was a hint of what seemed to be sparks that flew from the muzzle. With my dad watching all this, i then shot 2 rounds thru my rifle with the Vortex.  There was absolutly no hint of a flash. Even my dad made the HOLY SHIT comment and was impressed with its performance. The FH's do work and DO eleminate the fireball from the muzzle blast.. IMO the Vortex by Smith Enterprises is the best for this job, but is pricey.......
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Good link, Thanks!  Lots of info!

I reckon I need to learn the terminology better.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
After doing some studying on this subject, I have found that the word "flash hider" is not accurate.   A "Flash Suppresor" is not necessarily designed to "hide" the muzzle flash or flame, rather that it splits it up in a way that doesnt hinder your vision for snipers during night shooting.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.  I just think that everyone thinks of these things as "eliminating" all flash from shooting a gun, and that is not true at all.  

that pretty much sums it up. the anti's distort it: they claim that it eliminates the flash so that the enemy cannot see it - total b.s.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#6]
A muzzle brake redirects, a flash suppressor( hider) does eliminate the flash..............Go shoot a Vortex at night in pitch black! Your eyes will love you, your enemy WONT see you and your NV gear will still work..........
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen a video and hear comments from people who have them.  Vortex is the best on the market.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#8]
The anti-gun liberals have been saying this bullshit about it hiding the position the shooter is in so many times that even those idiots probably believe it by now. Of course they aren't even talking about "the enemy", they're giving the impression that innocent civilians won't be able to tell where it's coming from when one of us lunitics starting shooting people for no reason because the AWB expired.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#9]
My Vortex... absolutely, whole-heartedly, completely, totally, without doubt, and without question eliminates 100%, all, the entirety, and any.... muzzle flash.

I can't see any flash when I am the shooter.

I can't see any flash when I am to the side of the weapon as it is being fired.

I can't see any flash when I am down range of the weapon being fired.

This was at night, in the pitch black, cloudy, no light what-so-ever.

Stainless
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Firing XM193 (known for its fireball) in a 14.5 in pitch black with a Vortex, basically the worst situation imaginable, it had a golf ball sized orange glow inside the cage. My old skool Phantom posted sparks for 1 foot plus. I havent tried my new phantom yet. Got to fire an NFA 14.5 without a muzzle device once. Reminded me of a flamethrower. 6.5s are a flame thrower in daylight with Olympics proprietary long flash suppressor.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top