Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 1:25:39 PM EDT

After selling my SAR1 and JT kit rifle half a year ago, i've managed to save (hide) $1000 dollars from the wife.  I want to buy a good home defense rifle and figured that this would be the best place to ask for opinions.  I'm not really partial to any caliber or rifle so I was wondering what you guys would buy if you only had $1000 to spend and it was going to be your only rifle.  Any opinions?

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#1]
buy an AR to build up and have like $100-300 for mags, lights etc. Good basic AR costs about $600-800 depending on options and config.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#2]

buy an AR to build up and have like $100-300 for mags, lights etc. Good basic AR costs about $600-800 depending on options and config.

Yes, an AR15, W/a Bushmaster 14.5 barral w/a Phantom FH. Darn near the perfect firearm
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it matter who I buy a kit from?  Is there any real difference in quality or reliability?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#4]
You might really want a collapsible stock.  I believe it was...oh, who was it...the fellow with Wege Antilles as his avatar, didn't have any difficulty clearing his house with an A2 stock and 20" bbl, but since it certainly will be close quarters, I'd follow the general concession of a shorter, lighter weapon.  The collapsible stock can be long for the range/prone, and short for tight spaces with little space to maneuver the weapon.  Stocks can range from around $100 to $230.  Whole rifles can include such a stock, but as others have said, building your own will still be cheaper.

As people have said, an M4 profile bbl is good, though I don't see why you couldn't go even lighter and get a pencil bbl, such as Bushmaster's Superlite model.  I second the notion of the Phantom flash hider, which people here tested and found to really eliminate that muzzle flash that is so difficult in dark hallways.  14.5" or 16" are the ideal lengths.

Take a look at ammo oracle for why the .223 or 5.56mm, standard for the AR15, is ideal for home defense.  In short, it's light, but fragile, and standard 55 grain FMJ fragments in tissue and walls, to make a huge wound cavity but also not penetrate much beyond the target if you miss.

I like Bushmaster, Bushmaster, but please note that you can always find one of their rifles for a significantly lower price than what is listed, but still brand new.  I would suggest a flattop model, that with the detachable carry handle, in case you want to mount a relex sight for faster target lineup.  However, that's another $100, so if you don't mind the rear sight in your view, you can just mount the optic on a gooseneck attachement or some such device, and the large hole is adequate for aiming; that's why it's there.

I would say that besides the rifle, a tactical flashlight with shock isolated bezel is essential, if you don't want to be hassled with flipping on lights and taking your hand off the weapon.  Surefire is highly recommended, and I think you can find some good deals in the equipment exchange from dealers such as G&R or brightflashlights.  The M500 series would be good, because you won't have to spend extra money on a rail system.  However, that in itself is around $500.

In short, you could get a 5.56mm AR15 with 14.5" bbl with Phantom (or Vortex) flash hider, a collapsible stock, and a flashlight.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Let's stop for a moment, Home defense equals shotgun unless you live on a farm.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Let's stop for a moment, Home defense equals shotgun unless you live on a farm.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I was seriously considering a shotty, but this rifle will be my only long gun and I want to be able to go plinking with friends as well.

Are optics something I should be considering for a gun like this?  I have no experience with them, but it seems like turning on a site in the middle of the night is the last thing I would want to be worrying about.  Am I wrong on that?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#8]
With a $1k, you should be able to buy a decent shotty and a carbine.   In true ARFCOM fashion, buy both!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top