Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2014 4:54:24 AM EDT
Decided I want a Remi 700 in .308 but I'm going to wait until they are back from recall, so I'm looking to first get a scope. My budget is <$500.
Not a hunter just want to kill paper. I will be shooting mostly from 50 to 200 yards, but would like to be able to reach much further out to 5-800 yds.

So where are the sales? I think I want a Nikon but I've been reading they are not so great so maybe a vortex?  Any suggestions on brands and magnifications would also be appreciated.

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 5:38:38 AM EDT
[#1]
The Weaver 3-10 from Midway is highly regarded on Snipers Hide as a good entry level optic.
This one.

Other good option if you don't mind a fixed power would be the SWFA 10X scopes.
Here

Link Posted: 5/24/2014 5:42:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Weaver 3-10 from Midway is highly regarded on Snipers Hide as a good entry level optic.
This one.

Here

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]
For killin paper... I would go w a fixed power, you get more for the money. As much mag. as your budget allows
Lots of good optics out there right now in my opinion. Find as many samples as you can & look/play/twist/turn the things until the staff gives you dirty looks
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This one.

Here

View Quote

I have the weaver, nothing bad to say about it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
SWFA fixed 10.  But DONT SKIMP ON THE DAMNED RINGS!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#6]
At your budget the SWFA 10x as the others have said. Or if you must have a variable, the Falcon Menace is supposed to be a decent budget ffp scope.'it has Japanese glass I believe but isassembled in the UK.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.  I use three of the 10X models and a 3-9 model regularly on tactical 308s and an AR.   Unbeatable scopes for the money
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I know 8541 Tactical likes Both the SFWA 10x, and the Falcon Menace 4-14 FFP.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I concur. Snipers Hide gave a really good review on the SWFA 10x. SWFA Review
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:08:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Which Remington 700 .308 will you be getting?  I believe in matching the rifle, scope, and intended use.  What model 700?

If you will not be shooting beyond 250 yards, the .308 trajectory is flat enough that you do not need tactical or target turrets or fancy BDC or mil dot reticles and could put more of the money into better glass.  A proper zero on the .308 can get you out to about 275 yards without being more than 3" above or below your point of aim.  Ask yourself how frequently you shoot beyond that distance before choosing a reticle or tactical turrets.  Also ask yourself if you will ever use this rifle at 25 yards.  A higher power, fixed power scope has a very narrow field of view that can present problems acquiring targets up close, even if you can adjust focus that close.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Here

View Quote

This ^^^^^

That will do everything you need it to, and can be had with whatever flavor of adjustments you want.   You can get a good mount for it and still hit your budget.   It's a nice enough scope that getting good mount/rings is meaningful.

The main selling point of the SS scope is not the external turret adjustments, it's the general quality of the piece.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:24:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been looking at a lot of scopes to kill paper recently also.

12x is really nice and very fine detail for 100 yard shooting.
Do not go FFP with variable magnification. Sure it might be easier to adjust and zero but the reticle is way to thick for precision shooing when the magnification is backed off for closer shooting.

Go 12x but no more than 20x. (This is why people like 10x) Its easier to find your target for non bench shooting.

24x at 300yards was hella zoomed in. Too much honestly. And hard to find the target.

I will be buying a 16x SWFA next time there is one one sample list. I think its the best middle between 100 and 200 yards

(Scope reference is the 6-24x FFP Vortex $1000)

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#13]
get a good one piece base and a nice set of rings too.  figure to spend at least $100 on each.  i like steel personally.  go to SWFA and browse their site, they have a bunch of different makes.  you could even email them and they could give you several options in your price range to research.  

i have a SS 10X on my rem 700 .308 and i like it a lot.  very good scope for the price.  you could also check out vortex, they have some stuff around $500.  it will be an SFP, but it will get the job done.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do not go FFP with variable magnification. Sure it might be easier to adjust and zero but the reticle is way to thick for precision shooing when the magnification is backed off for closer shooting.

View Quote

Exactly backwards.

SFP reticles become huge and awkward at lower magnifications.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#15]
While I admit SWFA makes better stuff, I will say that I was plenty satisfied with my Falcon Menace 4-14.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top