Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2016 11:26:18 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Long-time lurker but I decided to finally create an account. I recently purchased a Colt 6920 OEM2 and I was going to turn it into a general RECCE rifle but after further research I think I've decided to turn it into a SEAL Recon Rifle.

My problem is that I keep reading contradictory information regarding the specs and requirements since this was kind of a hush-hush in house creation by the Naval Special Warfare division. If any of you guys have built one or know a lot about the build i'd certainly appreciate your help in figuring out what I need for this.

Also, just to let you know, it doesn't have to be 100% accurate right away. For example, I will be using the factory barrel and trigger group for now. I'm mostly interested in the accesories that I will be needing. When I have a bit more money I will worry about changing out barrel, trigger, and other factory components.

I have read the SEAL Recon is a carbine length system. Is that true? Also, is this the correct KAC rail I'd need? The description says it was used on the MK12 but I see alot of SEAL Recon forum pics with this rail. https://www.boltcarrier.com/product/free-float-ras-long/

Thanks for any help you might be able to give. I searched the forum for "SEAL Recon Rifle" and could not find a build thread.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:58:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep it going.  Great concept.  I've always thought the RECCE a more versatile concept than SPR, but that just my opinion.

I'm doing the same thing, but approaching it from the other direction.  I just received and today installed the barrel.  It is the real Navy SEAL Recon barrel as made by Lilja for them.  16.5" (17" including barrel extension) match grade stainless, button rifled, hand lapped bore, Wylde chamber, 1:8 twist.  It is a modified M4 profile thicker inside the handguard and at 2.2 lbs, about 8-10 ounces heavier than a 16" civilian M4 barrel.  Length is unusual in that it is 1/2" longer than my 16" carbine barrel it replaced.

And, yes, it is a carbine length gas system with .080" port.  No confusion there.

I do have a good modular free float rail and Geissele two stage trigger.  The Leupold VX-R Patrol scope is close to typical recon specs, which are often described as  2.5-8x either Leupold or Nightforce.  I'm not trying to clone the appearance, but rather meet or exceed its performance as a carbine in length and in accuracy.  The barrel went in today after truing the receiver.  It started raining, so it has not been fired.  I will be following Lilja's one shot and clean, repeat about 10-12 times slow break-in procedure before shooting for groups, so it will take a while before I know what it can do.

There is a RECCE build photo thread here you might want to check, too. There is a good bit of flexibility in build criteria, with barrel length and free float rail on an M4 upper being the basic.

Here is where I am in the process.

Barrel comparison below.  Recon barrel on left, 16" civilian carbine barrel on the right.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I may be wrong but from my understanding originally ALL "recce" rifles were SEAL equipment. It has since come to mean basically any carbine rifle with various optics and lights in practically any configuration the operator wants ( and most seals have pretty wide latitude in equipment I believe). I think what you want to build is more along the lines of a Mk 18 rifle or an earlier M4 type rifle. They are often outfitted with various equipment depending on the mission. You'll have more luck looking up those models to start, but get your checkbook ready as most clones are big $$$$$...........good luck!
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:07:25 AM EDT
[#3]
14.5"-18" stainless steel 1:8 twistrate with a 5.56 chamber that can provide consistent accuracy with 77 grain ammunition.

That's it.

If you want an example: a very popular profile was a 16" barrel with a KAC free-floating hand guard and a 1-4x optic, typically a Schmidt and Bender, ACOG, or a Nightforce.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:18:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep it going.  Great concept.  I've always thought the RECCE a more versatile concept than SPR, but that just my opinion.

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/91D6E6D7-B4A1-49E3-8CC9-8B8BB4625F47_zpspvcpvl6d.jpg

Barrel comparison below.  Recon barrel on left, 16" civilian carbine barrel on the right.

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/779730BC-DD82-4C96-9FF7-33A29C36CBF1_zps1zdxke4q.jpg
View Quote

Awesome man, thanks for the tips and great looking rifle. I think I'm really going to enjoy the RECCE rifle. I have two other 6920s with a FSB and theyre a lot of fun but blasting away with the carbines gets old. I want something I can push to a little further distance wise and have fun trying to shoot decent groups with match ammo.

I'm very tempted to atleast get the barrel installed so I wont have to remount the rail in the future but I hate to take off a brand new barrel and I'm sure the barrel and trigger group are going to be the most expensive pieces of the build (minus optics). If you don't mind me asking, how much do these Lilja barrels go for?

I don't have the dough for a leupold or nightforce yet either so I'll be throwing on a Viper PST 1-4 until I can upgrade.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I may be wrong but from my understanding originally ALL "recce" rifles were SEAL equipment. It has since come to mean basically any carbine rifle with various optics and lights in practically any configuration the operator wants ( and most seals have pretty wide latitude in equipment I believe). I think what you want to build is more along the lines of a Mk 18 rifle or an earlier M4 type rifle. They are often outfitted with various equipment depending on the mission. You'll have more luck looking up those models to start, but get your checkbook ready as most clones are big $$$$$...........good luck!
View Quote

Regular Army units like the 25th ID, 3rd ID, and 10th MTN were all using similar altered weapons during the 2002-2004 Iraq years.  It wasn't anything fancy, mostly a very good optic, a better barrel and a better trigger.  Other modifications like bipods and angle cosine indicators were typically user-specific.  The most expensive part of the weapon is the optical sight.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#6]
It sounds like you really need something more along the lines of a Mk 12
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Awesome man, thanks for the tips and great looking rifle. I think I'm really going to enjoy the RECCE rifle. I have two other 6920s with a FSB and theyre a lot of fun but blasting away with the carbines gets old. I want something I can push to a little further distance wise and have fun trying to shoot decent groups with match ammo.

I'm very tempted to atleast get the barrel installed so I wont have to remount the rail in the future but I hate to take off a brand new barrel and I'm sure the barrel and trigger group are going to be the most expensive pieces of the build (minus optics). If you don't mind me asking, how much do these Lilja barrels go for?

I don't have the dough for a leupold or nightforce yet either so I'll be throwing on a Viper PST 1-4 until I can upgrade.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/91D6E6D7-B4A1-49E3-8CC9-8B8BB4625F47_zpspvcpvl6d.jpg

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/779730BC-DD82-4C96-9FF7-33A29C36CBF1_zps1zdxke4q.jpg

The barrel is $485 plus shipping.. About $510 to me.  I ran the other barrel for several years and saved up for the Lilja. Navy (Crane) did specify a Wylde chamber and 1:8 twist.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Regular Army units like the 25th ID, 3rd ID, and 10th MTN were all using similar altered weapons during the 2002-2004 Iraq years.  It wasn't anything fancy, mostly a very good optic, a better barrel and a better trigger.  Other modifications like bipods and angle cosine indicators were typically user-specific.  The most expensive part of the weapon is the optical sight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I agree but the OP was specifically talking about "seal" recce rifles which are done primarily by Crane/ Navspec warfare. That's the problem when someone says "recce".......really "who's" recce is the correct question.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:31:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

MK12s are awesome but I like the portability and versatility of the RECCE/SEAL Recon rifle right now. I also plan on getting a SCAR or LMT MWS in 308 in the future so that would kind of make the MK12 obsolete in my arsenal.

Very cool rifles though
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:34:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mk 12 has an 18" barrel.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes, I agree but the OP was specifically talking about "seal" recce rifles which are done primarily by Crane/ Navspec warfare. That's the problem when someone says "recce".......really "who's" recce is the correct question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, I want a SEAL/Crane inspired "clone"

From what I know the specs are:

Lilja SS heavy contour barrel
KAC FF Rail (Long)
KAC BUIS
Stock ???
Leupold Optic
Harris Bipod
Match Trigger (unsure of manufacturer)

And im sure I'm missing something.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:17:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd ask one of the dudes in the clone threads then.  There's a lot of dudes in their that are super-anal about parts, I'm sure someone can help.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:12:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'd ask one of the dudes in the clone threads then.  There's a lot of dudes in their that are super-anal about parts, I'm sure someone can help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've searched for a SEAL Recon Clone thread but cant find one. Only a general RECCE thread.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've searched for a SEAL Recon Clone thread but cant find one. Only a general RECCE thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask in that thread, someone can give you a basic rundown. That thread use to be a nice clone thread. Now everyone with a scope purs their shit in there instead of the scoped/varminter thread.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#15]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAL_Recon_Rifle

Compass Lake Engineering offer two RECON barrels.

Compass Lake Engineering Douglas RECON barrel

Compass Lake Engineering Criterion RECON barrel

I use one of the Douglas barrels on this setup.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#16]
The Lilja Navy Recon barrel with spec sheet and details is here.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Colt M4A1 SOPMOD is what you want
http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=185
and
http://navyseals.com/weapons-demo/m4a1/
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#18]
http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=610057

this is the thread you're looking for....
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#19]
And this:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/541606_M4A1_SOPMOD_Block_II_clone_picture_thread.html
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#20]
The biggest issue with SEAL RECON rifles is that there are so many different configurations. Barrels are usually 16.1" to 16.3" (excluding the barrel extension w/M4 cuts) with a 1/8 twist and a carbine gas system. Beyond that, there is a smorgasbord of options and accessories they used. You can always build a clone of the very first version. In that case, the barrel from Lilja would be dead-on for that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Can the Lilja be profiled for the AE collar and supressor?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It can, but I think you are looking something more along the lines of a Douglass Barrel which is already profiled for the collar and in my opinion is just as good of a barrel, but I'm a little bias as that's what I have on my Recce.

As you can see mine is more of a 16" MK12, the recce's I see in pictures look like they are set up for more of a Surefire can which is actually more clone correct I think, but since I already had a can for my MK12 this way was more practical.  It's my favorite set up right now and normally I don't even use it with the bipod so it's a pretty versatile set up.

Look at the MOD-H as it's kind of a Recce build and if you're wanting a shorter barrel I really like the Block 2 Rece style set ups that you could use your Colt barrel with.  

" />
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It can, but I think you are looking something more along the lines of a Douglass Barrel which is already profiled for the collar and in my opinion is just as good of a barrel, but I'm a little bias as that's what I have on my Recce.

As you can see mine is more of a 16" MK12, the recce's I see in pictures look like they are set up for more of a Surefire can which is actually more clone correct I think, but since I already had a can for my MK12 this way was more practical.  It's my favorite set up right now and normally I don't even use it with the bipod so it's a pretty versatile set up.

Look at the MOD-H as it's kind of a Recce build and if you're wanting a shorter barrel I really like the Block 2 Rece style set ups that you could use your Colt barrel with.  

http://<a href=http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/pcrunnels/IMG_0143_zpsx4g9p78l.jpg</a>" />
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/pcrunnels/IMG_0143_zpsx4g9p78l.jpg</a>" />

That thing is so damn beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Something like this, OP:

And BEAUTIFUL rifle, chenault.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I really like the Block 2 as a Recce Rifle concept.  The rail and weight seems to better lend itself to a mid-range build vs a CQB/eotech setup.
" />
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unreal rifle, thanks for sharing man.

I've looked into the MOD-H but my gun is going to be a carbine length system so it would be more accurate as a SEAL Recon Rifle I believe.

Bought my KAC flip up rear sight last night. Now im looking for the KAC long rail and front sight.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#27]
16" Lilja bbl with OPS/AE brake and collar
KAC long FF RAS
SOPMOD stock is probably post prevalent, but more latitude for user preference parts like thsi
Nighforce 2.5-10x24 in LaRue mount, ARMS or NF rings

This is my general understanding though please dont quote me on this.  I've always figured it as kind of the NSW equivalent of the Mod Holland.  A 16" Navy Mod 1 more or less, just as the Hollands are 16" Mod 0 offspring.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Something like this, OP:

http://i.imgur.com/YMUU1Vn.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something like this, OP:

Good god you guys have me dying to get this rifle in and get started. I think it could turn into my favorite very quickly, even before I get the new barrel.

These KAC rails are a pain to locate and even harder to swallow the price though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Recces rock. Shot mine to 600 this weekend.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s619.photobucket.com/user/RussellAthletic/media/IMG_2677_zpsilzog6gu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt275/RussellAthletic/IMG_2677_zpsilzog6gu.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s619.photobucket.com/user/RussellAthletic/media/IMG_2728_zpsrxgj6oqt.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt275/RussellAthletic/IMG_2728_zpsrxgj6oqt.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s619.photobucket.com/user/RussellAthletic/media/IMG_2724_zpslfykfcst.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt275/RussellAthletic/IMG_2724_zpslfykfcst.jpg</a>
View Quote

What scope is that?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Just build a Mk 12 fer crissakes
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:56:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Good god you guys have me dying to get this rifle in and get started. I think it could turn into my favorite very quickly, even before I get the new barrel.

These KAC rails are a pain to locate and even harder to swallow the price though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something like this, OP:

Yea, if you're going to get into the clone game you gotta be patient and embrace the hunt of parts.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I've looked into the MOD-H but my gun is going to be a carbine length system so it would be more accurate as a SEAL Recon Rifle I believe.

Bought my KAC flip up rear sight last night. Now im looking for the KAC long rail and front sight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think a Mod-H IS a carbine gas.  It's just it's got the ops inc muzzle device, just like the Mk12.  And it's got the PRI round forearm.  But it's 16" instead of 18 like the Mk12.   I think....
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#34]
No, the original MOD-H was a mid-length recon Noveske barrel.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
16" Lilja bbl with OPS/AE brake and collar
KAC long FF RAS
SOPMOD stock is probably post prevalent, but more latitude for user preference parts like thsi
Nighforce 2.5-10x24 in LaRue mount, ARMS or NF rings

This is my general understanding though please dont quote me on this.  I've always figured it as kind of the NSW equivalent of the Mod Holland.  A 16" Navy Mod 1 more or less, just as the Hollands are 16" Mod 0 offspring.
View Quote

Right info on the suppressor:  Ops Inc 12th model suppressors with matching muzzle brake and collar.

Exact clone is not my goal, but a more current generation equivalent QD suppressor will be included as the build progresses.

Scope was either Leupold 2.5-8x36 or 3-9x36 Mark 4 variants, or the Nightforce mentioned above.  I'm sticking with the similar profile but more modern (illuminated mil/mil) VX-R Patrol 3-9x40.

Lots of room for minor deviations without tracking down very hard to find and expensive parts, while still being true to the concept.

Thanks again to OP for getting this going.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

What scope is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s619.photobucket.com/user/RussellAthletic/media/IMG_2677_zpsilzog6gu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt275/RussellAthletic/IMG_2677_zpsilzog6gu.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s619.photobucket.com/user/RussellAthletic/media/IMG_2728_zpsrxgj6oqt.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt275/RussellAthletic/IMG_2728_zpsrxgj6oqt.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s619.photobucket.com/user/RussellAthletic/media/IMG_2724_zpslfykfcst.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt275/RussellAthletic/IMG_2724_zpslfykfcst.jpg</a>

What scope is that?

NF 2.5-10x32.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Ordered my KAC Long RAS yesterday and have my KAC BUIS ordered as well. Can't wait to get this thing painted and put together in the coming weeks, I'll be posting update pictures as it comes along.

Once again, thanks to everyone who has shared pictures and offered advice on the build. I was going to buy a Tavor but now I'm super happy I decided to build this clone. Think it will easily turn into my favorite gun.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I must've missed the memo.  Sorry about that.  For some reason I thought it was carbine gas, but I don't know why.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I must've missed the memo.  Sorry about that.  For some reason I thought it was carbine gas, but I don't know why.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's ok, I had to go back and look in the first page of the MK12 thread.  I knew it was Noveske but couldn't remember the gas port length.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ordered my KAC Long RAS yesterday and have my KAC BUIS ordered as well. Can't wait to get this thing painted and put together in the coming weeks, I'll be posting update pictures as it comes along.

Once again, thanks to everyone who has shared pictures and offered advice on the build. I was going to buy a Tavor but now I'm super happy I decided to build this clone. Think it will easily turn into my favorite gun.
View Quote

Excellent, I'm excited to see it.  Make sure you post results.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's ok, I had to go back and look in the first page of the MK12 thread.  I knew it was Noveske but couldn't remember the gas port length.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just gonna go do that.  LOL.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Well guys, here she is. I didn't have time to put on the trigger guard today and I'm still waiting on my new grip, Surefire Three Prong and KAC front sight but I'm really happy with how it turned out. I don't have a lot of guns but this is hands down my favorite one and I'm really happy I started this project instead of buying a Tavor like I originally intended.

Thanks to every one of you that offered specs and advice to me, I've never built a "cloneish" gun and it was all a big help.

Parts list for anyone interested:

-Colt 6920 OEM2
-Harris Bipod w/ Larue LT130 QD mount
-Vortex 2.5-10x32 FFP in a Larue LT104 QD mount
-KAC Long RAS
-KAC BUIS 200-600m
-B5 SOPMOD

Parts on the way:

-Surefire SF3P flashider
-Magpul MOE or Ergogrip (Can't decide)
-Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
-KAC front sight (ordered taupe but am returning it for black, decided not to paint the gun FDE)

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Clones of undefined rifles are undefined. Find a picture of a seal with the rifle and clone that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm not a SEAL but.....

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:05:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well guys, here she is. I didn't have time to put on the trigger guard today and I'm still waiting on my new grip, Surefire Three Prong and KAC front sight but I'm really happy with how it turned out. I don't have a lot of guns but this is hands down my favorite one and I'm really happy I started this project instead of buying a Tavor like I originally intended.

Thanks to every one of you that offered specs and advice to me, I've never built a "cloneish" gun and it was all a big help.

<a href="http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/kyfooooo/media/Guns/image_zpsvro0jslt.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa402/kyfooooo/Guns/image_zpsvro0jslt.jpeg</a>

Parts list for anyone interested:

-Colt 6920 OEM2
-Harris Bipod w/ Larue LT130 QD mount
-Vortex 2.5-10x32 FFP in a Larue LT104 QD mount
-KAC Long RAS
-KAC BUIS 200-600m
-B5 SOPMOD

Parts on the way:

-Surefire SF3P flashider
-Magpul MOE or Ergogrip (Can't decide)
-Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
-KAC front sight (ordered taupe but am returning it for black, decided not to paint the gun FDE)

View Quote

Cool stuff. How are you liking that 2.5-10x32 PST? Waiting for payday to get one myself.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:45:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Cool stuff. How are you liking that 2.5-10x32 PST? Waiting for payday to get one myself.
View Quote

I haven't gotten it to the range yet but I have a big field behind my house and I have been doing some spotting with it. The clarity seems to be excellent, I can see a truck about 600-700 yards away perfectly behind the farmer's barn.

The only slight complaint I might have at this point is that the eyebox is a tad finicky at 10x. It's not bad by any means but not extremely forgiving. I have read this is true for the Nightforce 2.5-10x32 as well so its not a big deal to me.

Look on eBay when you buy yours, I picked mine up for $700.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I haven't gotten it to the range yet but I have a big field behind my house and I have been doing some spotting with it. The clarity seems to be excellent, I can see a truck about 600-700 yards away perfectly behind the farmer's barn.

The only slight complaint I might have at this point is that the eyebox is a tad finicky at 10x. It's not bad by any means but not extremely forgiving. I have read this is true for the Nightforce 2.5-10x32 as well so its not a big deal to me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that smallish 32mm objective lens creates only a 3.2mm exit pupil on 10x.  Move your head slightly and the FOV disappears.  That's why, in part, I chose a Leupold 3-9x40 for my build.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#48]
The actual SEAL Recce Guns were in-house guns built by the armorers at NSWDG and with the exception of stocks and pistol grips, we're all configured about the same. I have the build list from them somewhere in my emails, but I'd have to look for it.

Here's a pic of one I took several years ago at a meeting. They've just about all been phased out and have been replaced by 14.5" HK416's, but some guys still use them.

With the exception of the Lilja barrel and muzzle device, if you start with a Mk12 Mod1 parts list, you'll have most of the components for the Recce gun. The B.E. Meyers M249 flash suppressor saw a lot of use,  as did AAC M4-2K suppressors and mounts. Scopes were Nightforce 2.5-10x24 or eventually 2.5-10x32.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#49]
I didn't go for a exact clone of a Recce but I like the overall concept of it.  Carbine (car or middy) with a high quality barrel and a scope.  The scope I have on mine now is to much for a Recce 4-12 but I have a  vortex viper on top of it for that close range role.  I will be switching to a leupold mark ar 3-9x40mm  soon.

So my question about these rifles is given that it varies so much on optics and barrel from Recce clone to the Recce concept what type of accuracy are you guys looking for out of them?  Sub moa moa?   If you are running  a 1-4 or 1-6  do you expect less than if you had a 3-9 or 2.5-10?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top