Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 11:16:03 AM EDT
OK, so not to hijack other posts... but I am doing my first ground up build (have built 2 lowers in the past - no uppers) I have purchased Mega Machine matched upper and lower with charging handle. Now it is time to get eveything else. I will get a decent LPK, and likely the adjustable trigger from Mega as well. I am looking for a barrel suggestion. I want a lightweight 16" quality barrel in 5.56. Also suggestions on accessories would be great... kindof thinking mid length free float quad rail, low profile gas block, Troy flip up sights etc. Any ideas welcome. Also whatever is easiest upper for a new guy to assemble.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Noveske barrels are pretty much the best if you have the $$$
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#2]
What about JP?  They look really good - of course they are $350 bucks too!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OK, so not to hijack other posts... but I am doing my first ground up build (have built 2 lowers in the past - no uppers) I have purchased Mega Machine matched upper and lower with charging handle. Now it is time to get eveything else. I will get a decent LPK, and likely the adjustable trigger from Mega as well. I am looking for a barrel suggestion. I want a lightweight 16" quality barrel in 5.56. Also suggestions on accessories would be great... kindof thinking mid length free float quad rail, low profile gas block, Troy flip up sights etc. Any ideas welcome. Also whatever is easiest upper for a new guy to assemble.
Thanks

Ha, sounds like you're building my rifle!

- Mega billet upper / lower / CH
- Bill Springfield 3 lb LPK (highly recommended, by the way - best trigger I've ever felt)
- BCM BCG
- YHM 16" barrel (which I also highly recommend if you want a budget option that'll still outshoot just about anything)
- YHM mid-length rail
- Troy sights
- SWFA SS 10x42 scope in a Bobro QD mount
- MagPul foliage green furniture

You're going to love it!  I certainly love mine!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:39:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks

Ha, sounds like you're building my rifle!

- Mega billet upper / lower / CH
- Bill Springfield 3 lb LPK (highly recommended, by the way - best trigger I've ever felt)
- BCM BCG
- YHM 16" barrel (which I also highly recommend if you want a budget option that'll still outshoot just about anything)
- YHM mid-length rail
- Troy sights
- SWFA SS 10x42 scope in a Bobro QD mount
- MagPul foliage green furniture

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/623607/ar1.jpg

You're going to love it!  I certainly love mine!

+1 on the YHM Barrels, but they dont make a middy, if thats not a problem I highly reccomend them!!! Also an AERO precision upper for $59 from surplusammo.com is a terrific deal! worked out perfect for me!

YHM lower
Stag lpk
YHM 16" carbine 1:7 twist diamond fluted barrel
Aero precision upper
BCM bcg
magpul moe furniture
yhm 9680 buis
f marked fsb
total build cost sub $800 for a hell of an accurate and reliable gun
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:12:08 AM EDT
[#5]
So the YHM is Carbine length?  Any issues with reliability?  Using standard carbine buffer etc.?  I do like the look of thier fluted barrel and they have a diamond handguard that looks nice too...
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:38:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Midway had 16" Model 1 Sales lightweight barrels on sale last week for a great price.  Not sure if they are still in stock, but if they are, I would seriously consider them.  M1S barrels are very accurate in my experience.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh, and did you paint the Mega upper and lower roll marks yourself?  I saw a thread about Testors enamel paint... how did you do it?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:51:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So the YHM is Carbine length?  Any issues with reliability?  Using standard carbine buffer etc.?  I do like the look of thier fluted barrel and they have a diamond handguard that looks nice too...

It is carbine-length.  Many, many 16" guns have been made with carbine-length gas systems that run perfectly.  Mine's one of them.  The consensus may be that mid-length is superior on a 16" barrel, but carbine-length still runs exceptionally well.

Quoted:
Oh, and did you paint the Mega upper and lower roll marks yourself?  I saw a thread about Testors enamel paint... how did you do it?

Basically that.  It's not Testors - it's whatever paint I found in the craft aisle - but it is enamel.  Brush it on, wait a bit, remove the excess with solvent.  It's really straightforward.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm using standard buffer and absolutely no problems, like others said this is a very common configuration, if anything it is a little overgassed and you may want to run an H buffer, but mine has never had any jam, ftf, fte or anything, just loves ammo.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top