Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 10:13:00 PM EDT
I am looking to build my first AR-15 and had a few questions.  My plans are to buy a lower for now and buy an upper later.   I have been looking on eaglefirearms.com at the RRA lower for $235 and the Stag Arms lower for $215.  I have never heard of Stag Arms, do they make good stuff or should I spit out the extra $20 for the RRA lower?   If anyone has expirience with RRA or Stag lowers please post here.

Also, Do the uppers need to be shipped to an FFL dealer also?

Thanks for the help!

-Derek
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Stag arms has a reputation for quality.  Stag is the house brand of CMT who also makes many of the components for Rock River.  You would be well served with either one.  

The only part that needs to be shipped to an FFL is the lower.  Everything else can be shipped to your door.

My plans are to buy a lower for now and buy an upper later.

I think you'll find, as Black Rifle Disease sets in, that it actually is more like "My plans are to buy a lower for now (but I ended getting three) and buy an upper later (now that I have three lowers, I might as well get three uppers)."

Eaglefirearms will treat you well and they have some of the best prices in the biz.  Buy with confidence and have fun!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:08:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Since I have bought fron Chris, and a RRA upper and lower at that, here would be my advice.

For looks, the RRA upper/lower combo will be the best due to the color and sheen match.  Also, I really favor the RRA lower receivers due to it being produced on the tight side (read matting the two the first time is a choir since the lock up will be really, really tight.

If you really wanted the stag lower, then mabe a call would be in order to see if Chris can build you a upper using a stag upper receiver to match the lower (sheen/color).

As for what has to be shipped to the FFL, only the stripped lower receiver.  
Here is a place to find a local FFL to do the transfer for you,
www.forthehunt.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#3]
My STAG lower receiver from Chris was a sweet deal for $85.00 .

They have great customer service and I just ordered my second set of parts(RRA lower,RRA CAR upper and RRA LPK).

Build up from a stripped lower instead of getting a complete lower. Its allows you to add furniture you want and the color you ant instead of going with just plain black and you get to learn to how the thing works and trouble shoot problems should they arise.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The only reason STAG arms is less expensive than others is not the quality of the product, I can assure you.
There were some dealers who started selling these just a few dollars over costs and other dealers had to match pricing.
Qualitywise, I put it up there with anybody.  I hate the Moose logo but noone can argue about STAG quality period.

Having said that, for $20 difference, you may consider RRA.  It has a slightly better resale value.

And honestly, having received my Stag lower, you cant even really see the moose/deer head logo hardly at all. I was PLEASANTLY surprised, as I didnt really want that. For the cost savings, it was a GREAT deal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Ah, dpixel8, we agree again. Stag is quality stuff, & I used to work on C-130's & F-16's , so I know a little about quality machinery.
The Ol' Crew Chief
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top