Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/30/2005 3:50:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/30/2005 5:45:07 PM EDT by Whosonfirst]
Ok,Ive never owned an AR,and its time i did.Im crossing over from the CETME/AK world and Im craving some accuracy.I want an AR for recreational target shooting and varmint hunting(fox,bobcat) and I also want to be able to pop a groundhog at maybe as far as 400 yards.Probably never will,but it would be nice to be able too....or get close to that kind of accuracy at least. So I was thinking I would buy a bushmaster flattop upper,bushmaster lower,and a 20inch stainless steel bushmaster barrel . Then I came across a review on the internet on the Mega Machine lowers.They seem to be really nice,and their a bit less expensive than the bushmaster. So I may go with the gator grip model. I really cant find much info on them on the internet,so if anybody could fill me in on their quality compared to the bushmaster Id appreciate it. Then later down the road Im probably going to get an A2 upper and a bushmaster 16inch chrome lined barrel and have a nice handy tactical carbine to to keep in the house and have fun with at the range. I read that you can switch out the complete upper assembly on an AR pretty quickly.You can go from a 24inch heavy barreled flattop,to a 14 inch A2 in just a few minutes.Right?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:45:34 PM EDT
I just finished a build with a Stag Arms lower and a J&T upper. It has a flattop, and the barrel is a heavy stainless varmint barrel, 22 inches with a 1 in 8" twist. The first 100 yard group it shot after getting it sighted in was 10 shots in the 10 ring, with 8 shots touching each other!

The ammo was British surplus and I believe they were 62 grainers if I'm not mistaken. This build cost me a tad under $650! I am sold on J&T and Stag!

Dan C
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:59:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2005 4:00:19 AM EDT by dtrosch]
Whosonfirst,
Get a Mega or Stag lower, and a kit from Del Ton or J&T. You will be happy with the price and accuracy. You can change out an upper as easily as pushing two captured pins, but I expect you will probably get bit by the bug and will start collecting complete ARs rather than try to save a few bucks...

I like my Mega--it is just as good as my Armalite.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:43:38 PM EDT
The J&T stuff looks good! I think Ill get their complete A2 upper and a 16 inch barrel with a flash hider instead of the bushmaster. Their bull barrels look nice too......and they have a 1x8 twist,which I was looking for but couldnt find from bushmaster.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:44:18 PM EDT
Mega is top notch as well as Stag. I would use either if I was building a rifle. I do prefer the Mega though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:15:31 PM EDT
I've got a Stag and Superior Arms lowers. The Superior is equal to the Stag in my opinion. The next receiver I buy will be either one of these, probably whichever is available and cheaper when I get it. I haven't seen a Mega, other than pictures.

The internals are as important as the receiver. I used CMT (Stag) in both receivers. Paid $64 for each kit which is $9-ish more than DPMS, Rock River and others. I'm sold. I don't see myself buying anything other than CMT lower parts kits unless I find one at a funshow to look at first. If I'm mailordering/internet purchase it'll be a CMT lpk.
Top Top