Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2013 6:10:42 AM EDT
UPPER   7.5" 5.56 chamber 1/9 twist SAA barrel, a Palmetto State Armory upper, a Sadlak steel lopro gasblock and a Youngs Manufacturing free float forend

LOWER   Palmetto state armory lower, Qms trigger and LPK , Phase 5 buffer tube assembly, Slap plate,  Battle arms ambi safety, Kns anti rotation pins, Houge ar grip, Noveske Krink KX3 Flash Suppressor with Pig

Everything went together smoothly. But im having slight issues with ejections and stove pipes after about 30-40 rounds.

When i first got the bolt i put it all together and it ran fine for around 20 rounds then started stove piping and FTE.

after some reading i found my ejector spring was soft. so i installed the suggested oring but now the casing are getting pretty damaged.

any help or suggestions is much appreciated.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac112/jones424/photo2_zpsa1773381.jpg

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac112/jones424/photo3_zps8441689b.jpg

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac112/jones424/photo5_zps9deb0007.jpg

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac112/jones424/photo4_zps138d03a2.jpg
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like the rims are getting pulled HARD by the extractor - which suggests that extraction is occurring before the chamber pressure has dropped sufficiently.

What buffer weight are you using?  I'm thinking if you have a regular carbine buffer that maybe you might want to try an H2 to slow extraction enough for the chamber pressure to drop off a little more..
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Phase 5 Tactical buffer assembly, i believe, comes with a regular carbine buffer. Defiantly, give a heavier buffer a try.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Wondering if a pigtail gas tube would help it? Just a thought, I have one on my 7.5 inch. In theory anyway, it should slow the lock time just a bit (been debated here, but I remain convinced with a steady speed it still takes the gas longer to reach the key if traveling farther).

Anyway, Phase 5 sells them, and ONLY for 7.5 inch.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#4]
had the same problem with a 14.5 middy. Added an H buffer to it and it fixed it right up
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you guys!

I'm running the phase 5 buffer assembly. Which as stated I believe is standard buffer.

So you do believe a heavier buffer will fix the problem. Any links to some you all would suggest?

Thanks again like I said first build and still new here. Appreciate all the help.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 12:25:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:Any links to some you all would suggest?

I went with the Spike's Tactical T2 heavy buffer - which is available from AIM (a supporter of this site) and is in stock AND ships for FREE!

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTSLA00T2&name=Spikes+Tactical+ST-T2+Heavy+Buffer&search=buffer

They also sell the Spike's T3 if you want to go that heavy..

Link Posted: 7/8/2013 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#7]
If you guys feel the T2 will fix it ill order soon.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you guys feel the T2 will fix it ill order soon.

Sounds like it should be worth a try. I am running the Phase 5 kit myself, but again I have the pigtail, might be the difference there. Then again, I've heard of guys running 7 inchers with no special parts without trouble. And others who have loads of trouble after trying all the obvious fixes. I think these shorties can just be a temperamental lot.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I used similer phase5 parts in my first build as well,but i used a JP Enterprises Silent Captured Recoil Buffer Spring

But i to have the pigtail buffer and have had no issues with my pistol. Not sure if this is helpful.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#10]
With a gas block that accessible, I wonder what the pistol experts think about an adjustable gas block. You can at least dial it in better than a buffer that may or may not make a difference.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I used similer phase5 parts in my first build as well,but i used a JP Enterprises Silent Captured Recoil Buffer Spring

But i to have the pigtail buffer and have had no issues with my pistol. Not sure if this is helpful.

Im just going to try the T2 first 40 to 140 is a bit of a difference.

if not then i guess ill give a try the pig tail gas tube.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im just going to try the T2 first 40 to 140 is a bit of a difference.

if not then i guess ill give a try the pig tail gas tube.

Pigs R Kewl...

From the movie Red...
Aaand, to make any sense of that clip ...

Hope the buffer solves it for you.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#13]
That's a slick and handy looking AR, rsxscrazy. I hope you get the gremlins out of it soon.

May I ask, what is the OAL?

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's a slick and handy looking AR, rsxscrazy. I hope you get the gremlins out of it soon.

Hopefully he'll still answer, but I should be able to get you very close (I have the same buffer assembly and KX3 on a 7.5 inch barrel). Could of course be subtle differences in barrel length, or depth of threaded parts etc, but mine is 23 5/8 inches long.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ill get you a measurement tonight when i get home.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#16]
24 1/4 inch from end of pistol buffer to end of suppressor.

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the measurements, guys. I'm pleasantly surprised at the lengths, I thought the pigs would have added much more.

Do you like the pigs?
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 4:26:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I can tell slight noise dampening to the shooter. and if i can get my kinks worked out im sure it will function and does everything its advertised for, Also it looks kickass.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#19]
ordered the T2 from Aim today. so hope to report back to you guys soon.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#20]
i got the spikes t2 buffer and it helped a ton. ejection now shoots out pretty decent other than just falling at my feet.

1.2 OZ difference in weight. surprising little difference made a big difference.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac112/jones424/photo1_zps40a637d7.jpg

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac112/jones424/photo2_zps040457a4.jpg
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Yep, I run a H3 buffer in my 7.5, it ejects at 3:00 with steel case, and I've never had a failure of any kind with it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#22]
The reason why the Spike's T2 buffer works is not because of the weight, but because of what makes up that weight. Instead of large tungsten or other large chunks of metal in there, it's a powder that really goes far at deadening the force from the bolt. It made all the difference for me in an ar pistol but also a 9mm ar carbine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:36:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The reason why the Spike's T2 buffer works is not because of the weight, but because of what makes up that weight. Instead of large tungsten or other large chunks of metal in there, it's a powder that really goes far at deadening the force from the bolt. It made all the difference for me in an ar pistol but also a 9mm ar carbine.
View Quote

so its not just the weight its more how its dampens the bolt. good to know.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top