Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2013 5:10:57 PM EDT
Well I have a feeling this will be a very interesting hobby. I just ordered a PSA stripped lower for $60. Hope I can stay under $1000. I'll post pics periodically. Hope to learn a lot here.

Parts List:
UPPER
Palmetto StateSafe/Fire
Rainier Arms Raptor Charging Handle
Rainier Arms NiB BCG

LOWER
Palmetto State
MAGPULMOE Trigger Guard
CMC Tactical Trigger
Umbrella CorpGrip 23
Red BarnLPK w/ BADASS Selector
B5 SOPMOD
KNSAnti Walk Kit
Rainier Arms Buffer Tube Kit
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome!

Its an expensive hobby.

and PICS!
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well I have a feeling this will be a very interesting hobby. I just ordered a PSA stripped lower for $60. Hope I can stay under $1000. I'll post pics periodically. Hope to learn a lot here.
View Quote

Welcome to the board!

Depending on exactly what kind of build you are going for, it could be relatively easy, or it could be impossible. What exactly are you wanting this gun for? What do you want to do with it and what do you want it to be capable of?

Just be sure not to cheap out on the parts that matter!
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Welcome to the board!

Depending on exactly what kind of build you are going for, it could be relatively easy, or it could be impossible. What exactly are you wanting this gun for? What do you want to do with it and what do you want it to be capable of?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to the board!

Well that's the thing. Not exactly sure if it will have one specific use. A little home defense, a little recreational, maybe some tactical carbine classes. A coworker has 4-5 ARs ranging from budget builds to all out monsters, so I've been asking him tons of questions. Where would you guys spend the most of your money ie optics, barrel, upper? I know the lower is a bit budget, but does it really matter?
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well that's the thing. Not exactly sure if it will have one specific use. A little home defense, a little recreational, maybe some tactical carbine classes. A coworker has 4-5 ARs ranging from budget builds to all out monsters, so I've been asking him tons of questions. Where would you guys spend the most of your money ie optics, barrel, upper? I know the lower is a bit budget, but does it really matter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to the board!

I think the general consensus is that barrel and bcg(bolt carrier group) are most important

you can do a lot with iron sights, but nice optics are great, but you also pay generally speaking

welcome to the disease..it only gets worse

eta: PSA makes a fine lower, most of their parts are pretty top notch and they've had some great deals lately
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The lower you bought is as good as any other out there. PSA also has an excellent deal going on right now that would be perfect for what you are wanting to do if you hurry up and buy one before they sell out. It is their 16" Hammer-Forged Mid-Length Rifle Kit (barrel by FN) upper that comes with M16 full profile Bolt Carrier Group including c158 bolt, Charge handle, PSA Classic lower parts kit, and PSA M4 stock, Mil-Spec buffer tube/spring/buffer. This kit has everything you need to turn your lower into a complete rifle----->>> PSA 16" Hammer-Forged Middy kit .

This would be just about the perfect set up for you, and you would have $660 in it. That leaves you enough money to buy an Aimpoint PRO with mount included for $409 and you have an awesome set up for $1070. Oh ya, PSA also has a deal on the Aimpoint right now where it comes with a set of their new flip up back up sights for the same price as buying the Aimpoint PRO alone. That's a $90 set of sights for free! You wouldn't need the front sight, but you could just throw it in your parts box, or sell it and recover some money. Here it is--->>>Aimpoint PRO w/Flip up BUIS .

$1070 Total
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]
i feel like the trigger and barrel are very important for accurate shooting.  but frankly, most AR platforms aren't meant for bench rest competition, so try to be realistic about your use and expectations.  the bcg is  the most important mechanical (moving) part for me  and if you want reliable action in chambering/ejection of rounds - focus limited dollars there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i feel like the trigger and barrel are very important for accurate shooting.  but frankly, most AR platforms aren't meant for bench rest competition, so try to be realistic about your use and expectations.  the bcg is  the most important mechanical (moving) part for me  and if you want reliable action in chambering/ejection of rounds - focus limited dollars there.
View Quote

Trying to pick between tons of different triggers. What's the benefit of a two stage trigger?
Also thinking about a NiB BCG. Not sure which one to go with though. I just have so many questions. And once I make up my mind, I need to keep stay strong. I have a tendency to change my mind.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Trying to pick between tons of different triggers. What's the benefit of a two stage trigger?
Also thinking about a NiB BCG. Not sure which one to go with though. I just have so many questions. And once I make up my mind, I need to keep stay strong. I have a tendency to change my mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

trigger type is really a preference thing...depending on your use, you may prefer a single stage.  if you just plink at a range or shoot at targets, then dont stress about it.  If you want reliable cqb entry type service rifle, ask some of the pros and vets who frequent this site.  i am neither.  i just want a relatively crisp light trigger for accuracy purposes.  I am first and foremost a hunter and hobby shooter.  i like to hit the bullseye and get tight groups at the range so that when i put the crosshairs on that hog or coyote, i feel confident in my abilities....define your use and you'll make the right decisions on parts.  i bought a trigger drop in unit from Wilson Combat.  easiest instal and crisp and light.  but there are tons of triggers and many less $$$
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#9]
So picked up a few more items today.

PSA Blemished upper for $50
CMC Tactical Trigger for $165

So far so good. Figured I'd spend the most money on the trigger, BCG, and barrel.

No pics yet as nothing has shipped.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had different success with PSA receivers. I bought 2 of them a while back when I paid too much for them. One of them is fine, and is nice and tight. The other one is the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. No matter what name brand upper I put on it. It fits like shit. I've tried 4 different uppers on it. I have decided to just strip it, and toss it in the safe. I wouldn't pawn it off on my worst enemy.
I believe I'd buy a little better quality If I were you. Lots of people brag on them. But I was a Tool & Die maker for 30 years, and the quality just isn't there, IN MY OPINION.  Just an Opinion, mind you
Personally I will never buy another one. Even if it was 10 dollars. A 50% success rate with them, isn't a great record in my book
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I can definitely respect your opinion. Once I get them, I'll see how they fit. I knew I was taking a chance buying factory seconds. We'll see how things go.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine weren't Blem receivers. I just think I got a bad one. Out of 2
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok so question of the day: mid-length or carbine length gas system? I plan on having a 14.5" barrel and BattleComp compensator. Sounds like the mid-length is more reliable, but are there more discernible differences?
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Mine weren't Blem receivers. I just think I got a bad one. Out of 2
View Quote

I got 3 in July, when PSA was selling a stripped upper with 10 pmags for $150, almost felt like getting a free upper....  No problems with any of the uppers for me, you probably just got a bad one... sorry to hear it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok so question of the day: mid-length or carbine length gas system? I plan on having a 14.5" barrel and BattleComp compensator. Sounds like the mid-length is more reliable, but are there more discernible differences?
View Quote

Mid-length is subjectively a softer shooter on a 14.5". The carbine was the original length for the 14.5" barrel. There isn't any difference in terms of reliability as long as the middy 14.5" is from a reputable barrel maker such as BCM, DD, or PSA.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Thread updated with parts list. Pretty sure I'm done with the lower. Few things left for the upper. Let me know if I'm missing anything.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Finally had some parts show up. Going to pick up my lower from my FFL after work.
Noveske NSR and few other things are coming Monday. Call me crazy, but I can't find anything wrong with PSAs blemished upper.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7457/10315346164_efdf2b6770_c.jpg
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#18]
So I started assembling the lower today and had a question about the KNS trigger pins. As seen in my picture, one side sticks out further than the other. Is this normal? It's annoying that only one side is flush at a time.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7332/10392444956_363fd600c2_c.jpg
Untitled by Chris Bailey, on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2834/10392448286_6ec2d9d468_c.jpg
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#20]
You can remove the hammer/trigger pins and file them down. Just be sure to check as you go so you don't end up filing off too much. In terms of function though they're fine "as is". They're just designed to keep the pins from rotating/walking, so even if they're long they'll still function as designed. Nice build btw.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Finally done. Now it's time to take it to the range and zero in the red dot and BUIS.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2884/10496833165_8876e0bf3d_b.jpg
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Might want to move that rear sight back.as far as you can, no good reason to have it up there that far front. thats one damn nice looking piece you got there though, great job on a first. whats next?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Might want to move that rear sight back.as far as you can, no good reason to have it up there that far front. thats one damn nice looking piece you got there though, great job on a first. whats next?
View Quote

Thanks man. I'll try and move them back tonight. I'm definitely excited to go test it out. Next on the list are some classes or training of some sort.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks man. I'll try and move them back tonight. I'm definitely excited to go test it out. Next on the list are some classes or training of some sort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What rail is that?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What rail is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What rail is that?

NSR
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#26]
So how'd you do on your budget? Maybe someday I'll build one and actually stay under...

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So how'd you do on your budget? Maybe someday I'll build one and actually stay under...  
View Quote

About $500 over
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#28]
What barrel length did you end up going with? I saw a post earlier asking about a 14.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:00:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What barrel length did you end up going with? I saw a post earlier asking about a 14.5" barrel.
View Quote

Yup. Went with a 14.5" midlength Daniel Defense barrel. Had a fsc556 welded on to bring it up to 16".
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top