Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 7:26:54 PM EDT
I have a cheap AR I bought and it's fun, but I want to build a really nice, lightweight, AR.

5.56 with a 14.5" Barrel.  I am looking at these parts:

-BCM Standard 14.5" Carbine (LIGHT WEIGHT) Upper Receiver Group
-BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (5.56mm/.223) w/ Mod 4 (MEDIUM) Latch
-MI GEN2 Carbine Free Float Two Piece Handguard
-Magpul MOE grip
-Magpul ACS stock or MOE stock
-Matech BUIS
-ARMS Fold down Triangle front sight/Gas block
-R guns Nickel Boron BCG
-Spikes Tactical Lower (I'll grab one at a local gunshow here in Orlando)

Question is what LPK should I use?  I would like a good trigger but I don't need a $200 competition trigger.  Is there a LPK that comes with a good trigger right out of the box?  Or should I get a standard LPK and grab a nice trigger elsewhere?

If so what trigger should I go with?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
DD, RRA, have been good to me.

ETA: Those are the best of all triggers I have felt in my limited experience.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive used DD on two of my builds.
Love them!
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Another for DD, used it with my first build and had 0 problems that weren't my fault.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Yet another for DD. Trigger is smooth as butter compared to any other AR I've shot (admittedly not alot, but enough)
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the best trigger I've used so far has been DD

Some people have been saying the PSA triggers are good, but I was not impressed with the one I got, I still think my DD is better

Edit to add, I only have less than 100 rounds through my PSA trigger so maybe it need to be broken in a little bit.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Armalite lpk you can choose 1 or 2 stage and there very nice.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a huge "spikes guy" but these shoot great!

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-parts-spikes-battle-trigger-p-425.html
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Colt, DD, BCM, Spikes, PSA, Armalite,
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a DD and I actually like my friend's Spike's LPK better.  For some reason his trigger feels very light while mine feels incredibly heavy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:42:07 PM EDT
[#10]
CMT is a USGI contractor, they are good, they mark parts for many other companies as well.
CMT has a sister company called Stag, so all Stag lower parts and receiver extensions are made by CMT.
If you were to order a Stag LPK, you are really getting CMT.
I think Noveske uses CMT as well for their lower parts.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:05:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I have limited experience and only assembled two lowers to date, one with a Stag LPK & the other PSA LPK.  Of the two I used I would go with the Stag again, as I feel it has a better trigger pull and cleaner break than the PSA.  Stag was $ 66.00 & PSA was $45.00 (on sale) both off each website.  That said I will purchase the DD LPK for my middy project in the works as everone seems to really llike the DD triggers.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:16:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a couple of Spike's NiB battle triggers and they're nice for the money. Real smooth for a stock trigger and for $60 bucks can't be beat.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st-battle-trigger-set-p-425.html

ETA
You can also get them in a complete lpk:

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-kit-spikes-enhanced-parts-kit-p-422.html
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:20:08 AM EDT
[#13]
i like the spikes enhanced NiB LPK ... I'm doing a (grip screw + JP light spring trigger) job on mine soon

i think it's about the best you can get in a "inexpensive" battle trigger

otherwise just spring for the RRA 2 stage or maybe wait for the new geissele ACT trigger (NiB) to come out

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:41:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Depends on what type of trigger for the work you and your AR are going to do.  I've spent 24 years with the M16 and the single stage 6lb zero creep is perfect for me and my work.  If SHTF or self/family protection is the primary goal than order a LPK from Stag.  Their LE/Mil. division produces excellent triggers.  If your into target , range or long range DCM , varmint buy one of the specialty triggers recommended above.  Just be aware that light target triggers are never good in high stress situations.  Target triggers are best kept out of self defence situations and in target paper punching rifles only.  Just my $.02.....Mike
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:26:45 AM EDT
[#15]
If I had to buy an LPK today, I would get an LWRC "Enhanced" (NiB coated trigger+hammer=smoothest GI trigger I've ever felt).

If you can wait a few weeks, Geiselle is bringing two new "mil-spec" triggers to market:  a plain and a NiB coated.

IMO they are pretty much going to be the baseline trigger..the next step would be one of the other G-units.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Honestly, I don't think it's possible to beat the price of a PSA MOE parts kit.
Not to mention they work great.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#17]
RRA 2 stage match is my favorite trigger, I have a bunch...  If they were $170 I would still by them, luckily they are only 90...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#18]
If I was in the market for a "stock" type trigger I would probably buy a DD based on the many positive reviews.  I have a DPMS with a pretty decent trigger, but I was lucky.  A friend of mine has the same gun and his is quite gritty feeling.  Both fit and look excellent but he is jealous of mine.  That being said the worst stock trigger I have ever felt was a Colt.  And you can take that with a grain of salt.  It was a brand-new Colt LE6920 I was looking over at a gun show.  So it would probably loosen up and get better.  But when I was playing with it, it had one of the heaviest trigger pulls I have ever felt.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Some people have been saying the PSA triggers are good, but I was not impressed with the one I got, I still think my DD is better

Edit to add, I only have less than 100 rounds through my PSA trigger so maybe it need to be broken in a little bit.

Not impressed with my PSA trigger as well
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people have unreasonably high expectations for stock triggers IMO. If you want a good trigger you need to spend some money.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#21]
You can get a lower parts kit from JoeBobs with a RRA NM 2 stage in it. I got that kit and have not been disappointed with it yet.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Not a huge "spikes guy" but these shoot great!

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-parts-spikes-battle-trigger-p-425.html

Ditto..A few friends have the Spike battle trigger with JP springs and it's definitely an improvement over most standard triggers that I have personally shot..

EAT: As far as LPK's go, I've used DD and have been pleased thus far..
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#23]
I agree that the DD parts kit is good but everybody that is suggesting the DD trigger has GOT to try a NiB / Spikes trigger.. IMHO it is WAY better than the DD one but YMMV

i shoot competitively (pistol only though) so my opinion may be skewed

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people have unreasonably high expectations for stock triggers IMO. If you want a good trigger you need to spend some money.

My last build used a DPMS parts kit, cause I got a good price and it was on the shelf. Cleanest, smoothest AR single stage I've pulled.

Using PSA this next one to see the difference.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If I was in the market for a "stock" type trigger I would probably buy a DD based on the many positive reviews.  I have a DPMS with a pretty decent trigger, but I was lucky.  A friend of mine has the same gun and his is quite gritty feeling.  Both fit and look excellent but he is jealous of mine.  That being said the worst stock trigger I have ever felt was a Colt.  And you can take that with a grain of salt.  It was a brand-new Colt LE6920 I was looking over at a gun show.  So it would probably loosen up and get better.  But when I was playing with it, it had one of the heaviest trigger pulls I have ever felt.

Daniel Defense definitely. Ditto on the DPMS. I used one of their LPKs in one of my A2 builds and the trigger was gritty as hell. Replaced it with a spare LMT FGG I had, much better!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#26]
If you are here in Central Florida, I'd recommend just going up to Spikes in Apopka and getting their LPK.  Since you're looking at their lower as well, it's a good opportunity to meet the gang up there . . . good service and quality stuff in my experience.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I have the Spikes Battle Trigger in one lower and a PSA in another. The Spikes trigger is worth the extra money. Smooth and crisp!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I have used: RRA, PSA, DoubleStar/J&T and Stag Arms. They all work, but I like the RRA
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#29]
There's a post out there somewhere and I can't find it right now that list the different LPK and what has been found good or bad. It told who had the most missing parts and who had the most out of spec parts (DPMS was mentioned as most out of spec parts) in many kits that were checked)> If anyone knows where that post is can u link here. Thanks

RRA 2 stage LPK was 130 & free shipping at Joe Bob Outfitters might check.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I got a RRA and a DD.  Love em both. Zero issues!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top