Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2007 3:41:28 PM EDT
Prediction - I'll have another AR by the end of the year. :)

Bought a Bushmaster, 20", A3 yesterday. Decided to go without optics for the time being and learn to shoot the iron sights.  Took it to the range for the first time today.  Shot 50 or so rounds at 50 yards.  Was pleased to see that I was about 1-2" high but in the center of the target; don't get me wrong, it wasn't a 1" group or anything but I thought it was good for iron sights.  Then shot another 50 or so rounds at 100 yards - the target sure does get small without optics!  Was surprised on my first 20 shots that I was actually shooting 3-4" high, still in the center.  I'm sure that I'm not "aiming" the iron sights perfectly, so I adjusted on my next shots and was much closer to bullseye.  After I find my "style" is the best way to lower my grouping just to rotate the elevation knob on my removable carry handle?  

Needless to say, I had a blast.  I haven't decided which optic to go with on the 20" - EoTech or a nice 3 x 9 scope.  And I see a 16" A3 in my future by years end.  So goes the addiction.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Congrats.

Scope the 20"er.

Put an eotech or aimpoint on the 16"er.

Either way, you'll enjoy every squeeze of the trigger.

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#2]
elevation adjustments are done with the front sight

Mike
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Being 1-2" high at 50 yards is the reason you are 3-4" high at 100 yards.

Make sure your sight picture places your front sight center post in the middle of your rear sight circular aperture.

For best accuracy, sight in on a bench. You should be more accurate provided your eyesight is good.

Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, congrats.

Go buy an Eotech now :)

Visit: ps90forum.com
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
As mvician said the adjustments to elevation when sighting in are done with the front sight.  This lets you use the rear for elevation for range adjustments.  You may want to check out the Maryland AR-15 shooters website.  They have links to several methods of sighting in the irons on ARs, from A2 to A1,  16" barrels,  20" barrels, and Battle sight zero or improved Battle sight zero.

Take care, enjoy, and congratulations.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]
HighStrung...so if I'm shooting 1-2" high at the 50 yard mark, that will put my shots at 2-4" high out to 100 yards?  I thought that if I was a few inches high at 50, I'd be dead on at 100 - sounds like I am WAY wrong.  If I want to hit 100 right at aim, where should I be hitting on a 50 yard target?  Thanks again for helping a new addiction.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top