Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2007 7:11:55 AM EDT
So, I got a kit from akpartskits.com, and bought the lower locally from a FFL. The kit I got came with the upper pre-assembled so it was super easy to put the thing together. I noticed when I first put the upper and lower together that there was just a little bit of space between the upper and lower. (lower is Double Star)

I took her out for the first time last night, and had no issues on the first 15 rds or so, then for the next 10 rds I would have feeding problems every other shot, then after that it wouldn't feed at all.

When I look at the action as it tries to load, the bolt is slipping right over the shell in the clip. Anyone have any clues what I could do to remedy this?

*Please don't tell me I should have bought a RRA or Bushmaster. I would love to have one, but cannot afford one.

Here is a picture of the space between upper and lower.

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/xvyuQDnxgg.K/__sr_/437a.jpg?tkn=phEcOKGBOXG_byNH&saveas=Upper+and+Lower+space
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So, I got a kit from akpartskits.com, and bought the lower locally from a FFL. The kit I got came with the upper pre-assembled so it was super easy to put the thing together. I noticed when I first put the upper and lower together that there was just a little bit of space between the upper and lower. (lower is Double Star)

I took her out for the first time last night, and had no issues on the first 15 rds or so, then for the next 10 rds I would have feeding problems every other shot, then after that it wouldn't feed at all.

When I look at the action as it tries to load, the bolt is slipping right over the shell in the magazine. Anyone have any clues what I could do to remedy this?

*Please don't tell me I should have bought a RRA or Bushmaster. I would love to have one, but cannot afford one.

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/xvyuQDnxgg.K/__sr_/437a.jpg?tkn=phEcOKGBOXG_byNH&saveas=Upper+and+Lower+space

Here is a picture of the space between upper and lower.

Fixed it for ya     Did you try a different magazine?  Bolt over miss-feeds are usually due to a bad magazine.  

ETA: The space between the upper and lower doesn’t look too bad too me but could you get a pic of the gap towards the front of the receiver?

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#2]
The front gap doesn't look that bad, and to be honest I don't think it's enough to make the bolt assembly miss as bad as it is. I think it's got to be the magazines. They are Brownells from Montezuma, IA according to the stamp. I got 2 for $12 each. Apparently they're not even worth that.

I spoke to a local place that does a lot with ARs, and the guy said he's had a lot of problems with Bushnell mags lately, but I have no experience with them.

What would you guys recommend for good magazines? TIA
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I was unaware that Bushnell makes magazines for the AR's, but regardless there is a possibility that you are not seating the magazine fully enough into the magwell, or that the maglatch isn't gripping the magazine properly.  With just the lower, I would look closely at that portion of the system.  

Does the follower move freely in the magazine body and does it snap up if depressed with a pencil or whatever?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
It was actually Brownell, not Bushnell. The followers definitely aren't seated well, they bind up heaps, but even when I go to load the first round and watch it really slowly, the bolt barely hits the shell and slips over if I pull the charging handle back and let it go.

I have verified the mag is seated in all the way. It can't go any further.

As a side note - This is one of the coolest forums I have seen. People generally are polite and respectful. Thanks for the help, and I am open for any other ideas.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#5]
If the follers are not slick and snappy the case cannot be presented to the bolt/chamber correctly.  Also functioning an action with live rounds will not always tell you what is happening realtime during actual live fire.  I would try to borrow another magazine and if possible get a fellow AR shooter to compare his to your visual bolt cartridge interface.

Good luck
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks. I took her out again to a range on Saturday to sight in my scope just expecting to load it one round at a time, but it only had 2 FTFs out of 60 rounds. I guess the mag just needed to break in a bit.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top