Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2007 7:11:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/20/2007 7:12:20 AM EDT by Silverlude]
So, I got a kit from akpartskits.com, and bought the lower locally from a FFL. The kit I got came with the upper pre-assembled so it was super easy to put the thing together. I noticed when I first put the upper and lower together that there was just a little bit of space between the upper and lower. (lower is Double Star)

I took her out for the first time last night, and had no issues on the first 15 rds or so, then for the next 10 rds I would have feeding problems every other shot, then after that it wouldn't feed at all.

When I look at the action as it tries to load, the bolt is slipping right over the shell in the clip. Anyone have any clues what I could do to remedy this?

*Please don't tell me I should have bought a RRA or Bushmaster. I would love to have one, but cannot afford one.

Here is a picture of the space between upper and lower.

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/xvyuQDnxgg.K/__sr_/437a.jpg?tkn=phEcOKGBOXG_byNH&saveas=Upper+and+Lower+space
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:22:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/20/2007 7:26:42 AM EDT by NY1911guy]

Originally Posted By Silverlude:
So, I got a kit from akpartskits.com, and bought the lower locally from a FFL. The kit I got came with the upper pre-assembled so it was super easy to put the thing together. I noticed when I first put the upper and lower together that there was just a little bit of space between the upper and lower. (lower is Double Star)

I took her out for the first time last night, and had no issues on the first 15 rds or so, then for the next 10 rds I would have feeding problems every other shot, then after that it wouldn't feed at all.

When I look at the action as it tries to load, the bolt is slipping right over the shell in the magazine. Anyone have any clues what I could do to remedy this?

*Please don't tell me I should have bought a RRA or Bushmaster. I would love to have one, but cannot afford one.

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/xvyuQDnxgg.K/__sr_/437a.jpg?tkn=phEcOKGBOXG_byNH&saveas=Upper+and+Lower+space

Here is a picture of the space between upper and lower.

Fixed it for ya Did you try a different magazine? Bolt over miss-feeds are usually due to a bad magazine.

ETA: The space between the upper and lower doesn’t look too bad too me but could you get a pic of the gap towards the front of the receiver?

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:15:35 AM EDT
The front gap doesn't look that bad, and to be honest I don't think it's enough to make the bolt assembly miss as bad as it is. I think it's got to be the magazines. They are Brownells from Montezuma, IA according to the stamp. I got 2 for $12 each. Apparently they're not even worth that.

I spoke to a local place that does a lot with ARs, and the guy said he's had a lot of problems with Bushnell mags lately, but I have no experience with them.

What would you guys recommend for good magazines? TIA
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 1:21:00 PM EDT
I was unaware that Bushnell makes magazines for the AR's, but regardless there is a possibility that you are not seating the magazine fully enough into the magwell, or that the maglatch isn't gripping the magazine properly. With just the lower, I would look closely at that portion of the system.

Does the follower move freely in the magazine body and does it snap up if depressed with a pencil or whatever?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:00:16 PM EDT
It was actually Brownell, not Bushnell. The followers definitely aren't seated well, they bind up heaps, but even when I go to load the first round and watch it really slowly, the bolt barely hits the shell and slips over if I pull the charging handle back and let it go.

I have verified the mag is seated in all the way. It can't go any further.

As a side note - This is one of the coolest forums I have seen. People generally are polite and respectful. Thanks for the help, and I am open for any other ideas.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:56:36 PM EDT
If the follers are not slick and snappy the case cannot be presented to the bolt/chamber correctly. Also functioning an action with live rounds will not always tell you what is happening realtime during actual live fire. I would try to borrow another magazine and if possible get a fellow AR shooter to compare his to your visual bolt cartridge interface.

Good luck
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 6:47:10 AM EDT
Thanks. I took her out again to a range on Saturday to sight in my scope just expecting to load it one round at a time, but it only had 2 FTFs out of 60 rounds. I guess the mag just needed to break in a bit.
Top Top