Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/21/2016 5:27:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/21/2016 5:38:08 PM EST by gribble]
I'm in the process of my first AR build and wanted to get some feedback. This will be my only firearm (had to liquidate my humble collection a couple of years ago due to financial troubles). It's intended for general range plinking and home defense.

Budget is a serious consideration, but I want to ensure the quality it's sufficient for home defense. I also am dead set on certain features, including non-reciprocating side charging, a linear comp, and a full length M-lol handguard. That said, the harshest environment this rifle will see is the range, and I'm the kind of guy that cleans after every outing (field strip + wipe down, serious scrubbing every few months) so I don't need something that can survive a war zone or serious abuse. I've done a good amount of research and feel that I've selected parts that offer acceptable quality at reasonable prices. I'm trying to keep it at right around $1k.

Many parts have already been acquired thanks to black Friday deals and a couple of early Christmas presents, but I'm not opposed to replacing parts that are totally inappropriate for a defensive weapon.

My plan so far (already acquired parts will be marked with an asterisk):

Adcor Defense stripped lower*

X-products side charging upper* (The 7075 one with mil-type forward assist, dust cover, and brass deflector. It appears identical to the Matrix Arms side charging upper but was $40 cheaper.)

PSA LPK w/ EPT trigger and A2 grip*

PSA 5.56 16" 4150V nitride 1/7 Hbar barrel w/ carbine gas system* (as a Maryland resident any AR must be an hbar so I chose the carbine gas system to reduce weight, and because PSA had a smoking deal @$79)

PSA BCG w/ 9310 bolt*

Anderson carbine buffer/spring kit w/ mil-spec tube*

Magpul CTR*

JoeBob outfitter's adjustable low profile gas block

Spikes melonite gas tube

Guntec 15" lightweight free float M-lol handguard

Black River Tactical Covert Comp

Mbus

Primary Arms advanced micro dot w/ absolute cowitness riser

Still to be selected flashlight w/ M-lol mount and tape switch.

I know the red dot isn't exactly trust-your-life-to quality, but it's reviews are good enough for me to accept while I save for an Aimpoint PRO, and the mbus is there in case something goes bump in the night and my optic isn't working.

ETA: Certain parts (including the barrel, handguard, optic, BCG, trigger, and pistol grip) may be upgraded down the road, but for now my goal is to get a functioning, reliable rifle with the features I want at a reasonable cost.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:59:37 PM EST
Everything on your list looks good to me. I don't have an issue with anything on there. I'd also spend $15-20 on a better pistol grip. While the A2 is tried and true, for people like me, it's uncomfortable and God awful to look at. I also don't know if you'd benefit from having an adjustable gas block so maybe go down from an adjustable to a standard low-pro and using the savings on a pistol MAPUL MOE pistol grip?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:40:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/21/2016 6:40:55 PM EST by gribble]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HIDDENAGENDA:
Everything on your list looks good to me. I don't have an issue with anything on there. I'd also spend $15-20 on a better pistol grip. While the A2 is tried and true, for people like me, it's uncomfortable and God awful to look at. I also don't know if you'd benefit from having an adjustable gas block so maybe go down from an adjustable to a standard low-pro and using the savings on a pistol MAPUL MOE pistol grip?
View Quote

The adjustable gas block is to compensate for the carbine gas system/buffer and 16" barrel combo. I hate over-gassed carbines (my last AR suffered from over gassing) and I would rather solve the problem with the gas block than address the symptoms with a heavier buffer.

The grip will be replaced, but it's very low on my priorities. I'm not a fan of the A2, but it's not something that bothers me. I'll probably leave it be and save up for a fancy, super fat grip of some variety after I upgrade the optic.
Top Top