Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2003 2:12:41 PM EDT
This looks like a new offering from Federal.  I picked up 2 boxes today to try out.  

I can't find any ballistics data on it.  Anyone ever use this?  

I'm thinking about using it for whitetail hunting.  

Yes, yes I know some of you don't think 223 is enough for whitetails.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#1]
It ain't enough for deer.

But seriously folks!

If this is the Winchester 64 grain SP it was designed to kill whitetail specifically.  It will do if you aim carefully.

LB
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have asked about this ammo a couple of times over on tacticalforums.com and have never got a response. There are some very knowledgeable people who hang out over there, but evidently nobody has much experience with this ammo. Whether or not it will offer performance as good as the Winchester 64 gr Powerpoint remains to be seen. Maybe we'll get some more feedback on this particular ammo soon.

-CH
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this a bonded bullet? I wonder how it will compare to the 55gr Bear Claw? Let us know how it performs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]
.223 not enough for a white tail?
Then explain to me why an arrow that only flies at 260-300 fps will?
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
.223 not enough for a white tail?
Then explain to me why an arrow that only flies at 260-300 fps will?
View Quote

Wound mechanism and mechanism of injury are completely different.

Hell, a Buick at 20 mph (29 fps) will ruin a deer's day too.

A .223" bullet that doesn't expand or frag well will not bleed the deer; if it frags too much it will not penetrate deeply enough to kill it quickly either.
The broadhead will usually completely transit the deer, and the blades cut lots of tissue.

Larry
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Lung shot would seem to gaaurantee a kill>

BTT
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#7]
The words "quick" and "humane" are in the criteria for a hunting kill-shot.

A 55 FMJ in the chest will likely kill a deer eventually; but it will suffer and get away, both no-no's in hunting.
But even a chest shot with a soft point is no good if it comes apart too quickly, or if it stays together.
A rib can deflect a light (.223") bullet from it's path to the lungs; envision the shape of the chest and ribs; it would be easy to deflect the bullet up or down and out of the kill zone.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top