Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 10:43:18 AM EDT
Anybody have a guncleaner they highly recommend?  I've been using Hoppes #9 since I can remember, but my girlfriend is allergic to the stuff.  Even touching an old rag (used weeks ago) makes her hands go numb.  It's weird, but she loses feeling in what part of her body that touches the stuff.  So, I'm forced to clean my toys by myself...

Any other ideas on what to use that's not based on the same formula that Hoppes uses?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Break Free Powder Blast.. Works great, just DONT use it on ANY plastic. (it acts just like model glue, ie. softens it) has an orange clean like smell.. doesnt stink. Too bad about your Hoppes problem, I love the smell, if they had Hoppes scented car air fresheners Id have one!!   John
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Breakfree CLP

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Since we're on the subject, I might as well ask...

What does everybody use for lubricant?

I've been using a sample of Militec that I got.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I use Break Free to do all my cleaning.  Even if I'm going to use something else as the lubricant.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I have to say I've been extremely impressed with Militec and FP10 CLP.

FP10 works better as a cleaner, but when you treat your gun with Militec. It makes it extremely easy to clean.

I went to clean my gun this weekend after about 300 rds, I couldn't believe it only took 2-3 patches to clean the barrel!

I use FP10 to clean (I like Break Free also, put FP10 is supposed of have synthetic compounds that bind to metal)it smells like cinnamin, very pleasant.

I use militec to lube, has no odor. After the gun is treated it takes very little of both to make your gun sparkling.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Pro-Shot as a general cleaner.
Browning Lube-Shot foaming cleaner (when I've got some scrubbing to do)
Mil-tec lubricant (light oil)
Pro-shot gold (grease)

That ought to do it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#8]
All I use is Hoppes #9 and then my favorite Breakfree CLP...

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I would suggest a new girlfriend.  Nothing, and I mean NOTHING is worth giving up the nostalgic smell of Hoppes #9.  My wife even dabs a little behind each ear if she really wants to go turbo with the big naughty!  [naughty]

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#10]
You could try MPro-7... it's biodegradable (or so they say...) it has no smell at all... works really well... and their lube is great also...!

Keep a drop o'the Hoppes around for your girlfriends tounge... just in case she starts to object to any AR related purchases or outings... [8D]

STP.

[edit: kant spel]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anybody have a guncleaner they highly recommend?  
View Quote

I can highly recommend my ex-wife.

She wasn't much use for "cleaning my pipes", but she was one hell of a rifle cleaner!! [banana]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought ARs were self cleaning!  [:D]  Actually I like Breakfree.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All I use is Hoppes #9 and then my favorite Breakfree CLP...

View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Breakfree. It's all we had in the Army (in my day at least) and it's all I've ever used since.

I keep a couple gallons on hand at all times - y'know, paranoia, and all ...

PLUS I love the smell! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#15]
BreakFree CLP is all I use 95% of the time... Hoppes #9 now and again, and GunSrubber if I've been shooting too much Wolf that day... [;)]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top